Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
entking
New User

Default Circus Road Films

Hello,

Does anyone here have any experience with Circus Road Films? They have expressed interest to me in helping my film find distribution, and they seem completely legitimate, but they have an upfront retainer that is kind of pricy - is that standard procedure to pay upfront when trying to sell a film?
entking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
michaellino202
New User

Default Re: Circus Road Films

Is this the Circus Road Films?
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0198009/

They are 'producer's representatives' on nearly all their listed credits, which is entirely different from producer.

My advice would most definitely be:
An upfront retainer. ABSOLUTELY NOT. Walk away. No need to negotiate on this one. Forgive the pun, but if anyone is asking you for money (they should be paying you), it means they are taking you for a ride to join their circus. Companies/Individuals that do such a thing are a disgrace. Sorry to hear they have done this to you.

Never part with your money... If you are at the stage where it is impossible for someone else to look at that script, perhaps you can tell them they they can speak to others about your script to see if it can pick up interest from the right people. If they find someone likes it, then they should get back to you and offer an option.

I do find it interesting they have two recent credits as a production company, which makes me wonder why they don't offer you an option if they are interested in it? (Perhaps their finances are in dire straits and are looking to collect as much as they can before bailing out, who knows?)

Perhaps no harm in asking for a option, but with favorable terms. But under no circumstances, part with your own money as a writer.

Last edited by michaellino202 : 09-17-2017 at 01:26 PM.
michaellino202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
entking
New User

Hey michaellino202,

Thanks for writing back on this one - the project I have is a completed feature film, not a script - does that make any difference in the assessment here?

They contact distribution companies on your behalf and negotiate the best possible deal for you, hence the "producer's rep" designation.
entking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
muckraker

In my mind the whole notion of a Producers Representative has gone the way of the dinosaur. You can contact distributors and sales companies just as well yourself. If you don't have bankable names or an award winner on your hands, no "rep" is going to be able to get you anything better.
muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
michaellino202
New User

Hi,

No, as you should not part with any of your money to give to them. I have also read alot of nightmare stories about producer's representatives. Think of it like this. Imagine being in develepment hell for decades, then imagine giving someone your money just so they can put you into development hell... Extremely painful.

Also, on an entirely different point, there is a saying in the film industry (especially for a writer)... Never use your own money to make a film... You could end up getting into serious financial trouble, no matter how much money you have got.

Anyhow, in this case and Circus Road Films, you are not even investing in the film, as it is completed. It would simply be case of giving them money, and it is most likely for nothing.

They don't need your money to help find distribution. They are probably going to use the cash for a round trip ticket to a choice holiday destination (or for something else extravagant, who knows?)
Also, legit/prestige companies don't do this as because it is both unethical and unneccessary.

Now, on what to do with your completed film, I would not be in a position to give you the best advice, or even halfway there to giving the best advice on what to do, as I just write.

However, one route I can think of in trying to get distributors to look at your film:
Is to try and get the film shown at festivals, particularly the prominent ones where the right kind of people will be watching - which is a way of trying to get the film picked up. If entered into the right festival, it could be seen by many of the world's distributors. But it has to be good to get people's attention. Not only do you have to try and get the film shown at the festivals, but there are flight/hotel costs etc involved which can all add up...so don't quote me on that if this is the best route. Lots of others here would know better.

Also, if it helps, I found this website about producer's reps, which is what Circus Road Films is acting as in your case. It's an eye opener:
http://filmfestivalsecrets.blogspot....s-warning.html

Last edited by michaellino202 : 09-20-2017 at 06:02 PM.
michaellino202 is offline   Reply With Quote