Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
ga8080
New User

Default producer posted my screenplay on IMDB

Hey everyone, I've been coming to this site on and off for the past several years now. Never posted but always appreciated the great wealth of info and help on here.

So I sent an agent/producer my script and he loved it. He stated he wanted to get it out there asap during our initial convo.

This producer has several imdb credits to his name, but a vast majority are listed in "preproduction or script" status.

So long story short, we had a conference call with the director and we talked about where to shoot it, potential budget, etc.

But to this point, no contract has been discussed. While researching the director on imdb the other day, I see that now my script is listed on his credits in "script" status. I'm also now listed as the writer. There's also some actors that are listed for the cast now.

Now this is strange to me, because honestly without me actually signing off on anything, I can still send my script out to other producers and agents without a written agreement in place. Is this a normal process? And at what point should I discuss the contract or should I wait a little longer until he has a full package in place with who's attached to the project and funds are confirmed?

Last edited by ga8080 : 07-31-2019 at 05:37 PM.
ga8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
Bono

Default Re: No contract signed but already posting my screenplay/credits on IMDB

Guy is just excited which seems like good sign to me. IMDB is not legal contract. Iím listed in projects I didnít do and some I did and wish I didnít. Itís more like Wikipedia. I wouldnít worry about that.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
ga8080
New User

Default Re: No contract signed but already posting my screenplay/credits on IMDB

Ok thanks Bono!
Old 07-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Northbank
User

Default Re: No contract signed but producer/agent already posting

I disagree with Bono.

For a start, what is an agent/producer? Big red flag.

Then, it's far too easy to put things up on IMDb and notoriously hard to get them corrected. This is entitled and push behavior for someone who has offered no deal. Another red flag. He's staking out territory that doesn't belong to him and any other producer you sent it to will be put off if they see it. Tell him that now that he's done it, he clearly wants to make a deal and you expect an offer by end of week.
Northbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
Bono

Good point about agent and producer. I guess I just assumed OP meant manager/producer.

But he said the director they spoke with put the project on IMDB -- I was simply saying that it's not going to stop OP from controlling the rights to his script or still have the ability to send it out. AS for things being hard to take down from IMDB, you may be very right about that.

For the record, I'm skeptical of every one of these interactions. I"m even skeptical when I talk to 100% legit people in Hollywood because it's just 100% blowing smoke up your ass.

Just saying. I was just trying to focus on that one single aspect of IMDB credits.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #6
Northbank
User

Understood. Reading again, I see that it's unclear who listed it on IMDB - OP found it on the director page but it's also on the OP/writer page and he/she did not put it up. I would bet on the producer.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
ga8080
New User

North bank,

Yeah I found it a little presumptuous on his part. To clarify, He’s a producer but apparently reps actors, etc. as well. I believe he put it on the directors IMDb page as well as mine, but we’ve never discussed terms, offers, etc. so nothing was made official
Old 07-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #8
Northbank
User

So those producing credits (the vast majority unmade) that attracted you in the first place... now your script is one of them so assume the rest of his "credits" are just as flimsy.

Is he an agent (in which case this is all illegal) or a manager of actors?

The whole things screams red flag and run away as fast as you can but not before removing the credit,
Old 07-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
GucciGhostXXX

Default No contract signed but producer/agent already posting my screenplay/credits on IMDB

Yeah, I'm a little confused on this one as well. "Reps" as in an agent or manager?

Their company doesn't start with a "3" does it? If so, that's a manager. But I can't imagine that company would do this.

Agent/Producer threw me. Huh?

The rushing it onto IMDb also throws me. I was close (very close) to having a show going and no one gave a fukk if it was on IMDb, no trades nothing (side note: no one ever asked me if it was registered. I'm done registering sh!t. Pointless. It's registered by the first email submission. Waste of money!).

Sooooo... that's my question: Why's this dude give a fukk if it's on IMDb if he's legit? That would be my first question "Why you putting my sh!t on IMDb without my knowledge?" Whole thing sounds super sketch to me.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:01 AM   #10
EdFury

Default No contract signed but producer/agent already posting my screenplay/credits on IMDB

It's bullshit. Me? I ask why it's listed on IMDb without A. a contract in place and B. your permission as the rights holder. The answers from him will tell you everything. Me? I say, "No contract, no listing." and explain that you'll continue to shop the script until there is one and start the process for de-listing it. Posting it was an attempt to restrain you from getting any traction from it from other producers after they see the listing, which they will when they look you up.

Stand up for yourself. No one else will.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote