No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where do you like to write?

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
    I take my laptop with me on piss breaks... ;-)

Yup, had my phone swiped last year. Turned to my lady at Surely Goat for like 5 seconds, turn back, phone swiped. Awesome! Now some stranger has 10,000 naked pics of my chick. Instantly grabbed my chicks phone to do "find my phone" Nope, they already turned it off. Fukker!

(Almost every puts their phone on the table/bar top. A phone their could steal 20 a night. I always keep mine in my pocket now.)

They need to make it where you have to enter the passcode to turn it off. Hmmmm... wonder why they don't do that? JOKING! Hi Apple, here to buy a new phone. "We were expecting you." I bet. "You want a case with that?" Yup, because you fukkers refuse to make a phone with a case already built onto it. Oh and, lost this phone in Uber the same day because I forgot to put the case on. Uber driver lied to me, said he didn't have it. Tracked it to his house. I was shocked he didn't turn it off. "Sup, go grab my phone, bruh! See how this app says it's right here?" Oh, yeah, guess you're right. Here it is in my house. (True story).

Don't get me started on Apple (like the chords they know all break in the same friggin spot!) See, I wasn't done complaining. Ha!

You can't trust people these days. I see people leave their laptop, minipad, guitar, phone and even wallet right on the desk as if they expect people to look out for it. Then, they ask some stranger to watch it for them....as if you can tell within 5 seconds of meeting someone or not whether you can trust them with your belongings...plus, they are so engrossed with their own phone or laptop they aren't really paying attention. I used to be more trusting. I left my jacket on a sofa thinking no one would ever swipe a jacket. Nope. I came out of the bathroom and it was gone. I ran out and saw a lady wearing it. I went up to her and said I want my jacket. She gave me a look like "Huh?" I pointed to her "You're wearing my jacket."

Comment

Well, I prefer music. Only like quiet when I am reading. Even then, music is better. But, not rap or heavy metal where it overpowers your thoughts. There are some good songs, but they have too much talking in them, so I eliminate them from the list.

Comment

Damn, you'd think the lady would be smart enough to BOUNCE after snagging your threads. Bruh, you just gonna stand there in front of me wearing my sh!t. GOOFY!

Same... I always write to music. I build a "soundtrack" and loop the song I want for the scene. Helps me with timing/tempo/tone/language/general vibe etc. And I FRIGGIN BLAST IT! No quiet writing for me.

We all have our way. None of them wrong.
        Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I like coffee shops when I'm looking for inspiration, whether it's pounding out observations on the people and dialogue and environment on my laptop or whether it's sitting with a notebook and thinking about the script / book while staring into space. That's actually a good writing exercise for me. Switching to pen and notebook triggers different things in the mind, I think.

Then for the actual writing, library or home or anywhere quiet with a desk. I wish I could be as disciplined as Gucci!!

If I'm traveling, I'm much more careful with the laptop / coffee shop thing, because losing a laptop then would be an absolute, utter disaster--especially since I take my day job with me, which is also done entirely on my laptop.

I like A4's writing schedule too!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
            Damn, you'd think the lady would be smart enough to BOUNCE after snagging your threads. Bruh, you just gonna stand there in front of me wearing my sh!t. GOOFY!

Same... I always write to music. I build a "soundtrack" and loop the song I want for the scene. Helps me with timing/tempo/tone/language/general vibe etc. And I FRIGGIN BLAST IT! No quiet writing for me.

We all have our way. None of them wrong.

Well, she was waiting at the bus stop down the street, so she was that close to getting away with it. I leave jackets, sweaters, books, thinking no one one would ever swipe stuff like that. Just the electronics. But, then you walk into any coffee shop and you'll see them all there unguarded.

The soundtrack helps you feel a certain way when you're rewriting. Well, some ways are more right than others.

I keed.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
              Well, I prefer music. Only like quiet when I am reading. Even then, music is better. But, not rap or heavy metal where it overpowers your thoughts. There are some good songs, but they have too much talking in them, so I eliminate them from the list.
              I sometimes start with music... but five or ten minutes in it has to go off. It's a distraction. I've always been that way with music. If I'm listening to music I'm listening to music — I've never liked it as a background to something else. (I know, weird.)
              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

I get 99% of my writing done on my home computer. Using my laptop I go on DD and email and think about writing. Real work I'm at home in my uncomfortable chair.

Coffee shop I'm just too interested in the rest of life and what I could be writing...

Real writing is work. I'm bad at it. For the amount of time I've put into this, I should have 1000 scripts. I wish I had focus of some of you.

However, I got old. I got married. I got kids. I got unrepped. It all added up to not wanting to try very hard anymore.

It's harder every year to strike those keys...

And I was trying to leave this forum and write -- nope back to only posting here and talking about writing, but NOT writing... I always hoped everyone else was doing the same... but some of you people are cheating by actually doing work. Not cool!

Comment

Home PC for me as well. I always listen to a Boards of Canada or Aphex Twin playlist or Pandora station as well.

Comment

I like to write in Gucci's house when he's sleeping... for those 10 seconds it's glorious!

Comment

Originally posted by Centos View Post
                      I sometimes start with music... but five or ten minutes in it has to go off. It's a distraction. I've always been that way with music. If I'm listening to music I'm listening to music - I've never liked it as a background to something else. (I know, weird.)
                      It is tough for me to write emotional scenes without music. However, I only listen to instrumental music/movie themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug5IOh6PxWQ&t=18355s

If you're writing comedy or romance or something light hearted, this music might not be the best. But if you're writing more serious dramas, action thrillers, etc., this might help put you in the moments.

Comment

I sometimes start with music... but five or ten minutes in it has to go off. It's a distraction. I've always been that way with music. If I'm listening to music I'm listening to music — I've never liked it as a background to something else. (I know, weird.)
                        It may be the choice of music. Try anything by Mozart at a barely audible level. That link is a three-hour compilation dedicated to enhancing studying, and it works for writing, too. The mathematical meter soon has your subconscious quietly absorbing the music without you being wholly or consciously aware of it.

Mozart clears the cobwebs from my head for me. It might work for you, too.

Bluetooth over-the-ear headphones are just the ticket for helping you concentrate, too, whether you choose to write in a coffee shop or at home. In any setting, the headphones tend to filter out a lot of background noise, such as the hum of a refrigerator in a kitchen or—if you are unfortunate enough to have to write under the ugly spectrum of light known as fluourescent—that annoying ballast buzz.

Next up: the Acme Sensory Deprivation Tank for Screenwriters, a medical surplus Iron Lung converted to a California hot tub with a Camelbak for wine.
                        Last edited by Clint Hill; 10-05-2019, 06:30 PM.
                        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I sometimes start with music... but five or ten minutes in it has to go off. It's a distraction. I've always been that way with music. If I'm listening to music I'm listening to music - I've never liked it as a background to something else. (I know, weird.)

It's like enjoying a favorite scene in a movie. The music enhances that scene. Scorsese practically lives off it. I think after a while you get used to it, even crave having that music.

Comment

Do you guys have a drink or snack preference while writing? I used to go crazy over that ritual.

Comment

I write everywhere. I carry a big notebook and a couple of small notebooks and at least two mechanical pencils with me at all times. I have to start on paper, longhand, then once I get going I can write on a computer. But if I don't start longhand, it takes forever to get going on the computer.

When I write I practice dialogue out loud -- both the men and women parts. For some reason people think I'm nuts.

I transcribe wherever I can find a computer. I've got Screenwriter MM2000 on a USB drive. I can plug it in to any Windows computer and I'm ready to go.

Sometimes when I'm tired and need to make a deadline I'll type into an AlphaSmart word processor, in the dark with my eyes closed, while lying on my bed. Surprisingly I wrote some of favorite stuff that way.
                              "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                                Do you guys have a drink or snack preference while writing? I used to go crazy over that ritual.
                                When I write something that takes some time, I don't break for anything. I don't eat or drink, even move much. One time, when I was on a deadline I wrote almost non-stop for 44 hours. My wife would make me get up every now and then.

That's probably not a good idea.
                                "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Working...
                                X