Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleepy Hollow

Watched this Monday night. Interesting premise. Gets a little too dense plot wise towards the end, but, they are trying to set up seven years of show :>) Loved the main character (Ichabod), and the actor playing him. Also thought the police chief (Brother from another planet) was very good. Female lead also quite good, though, her delivery was at a disadvantage because I was constantly comparing it to her British trained scene partner.

Looked like the producers were aiming for a mix of Scandal and Once upon a time - may catch an audience and be a hit. I may not watch again, because it looks like (from the previews) that they are going for more gore than I like.

Re: Sleepy Hollow

It asks a lot of the viewers, especially to ignore everything we know about police procedure. If you can turn that part of your brain off and accept the biblical twist they threw into the premise, this is actually quite enjoyable. High production value, great cast, interesting characters, quality FX, and excellent dialogue.

*SPOILERS*

The opening really grabbed me. A civil war battle, high action, lots going on, and the only word spoken during the entire sequence is when a soldier yells out "CRANE!" Not even five minutes in he's already waking up in the future, and as disoriented as he is the reaction to the blacktop road is perfect, followed by the trailer moment of the truck racing past. Beautifully done.

Ichabod's intelligent and highly adaptable, it doesn't bog down every time he's introduced to some new future wizardry. He accepts what he sees and he's highly observant so he sees much. It wouldn't work any other way for the show so I'm glad they got that part right. Also smart that they made his present-day guide/partner significant enough to stand out. She has her own story, every bit as interesting as his because, unlike Ichabod, we don't know who she is yet but she's definitely tied to what's going on somehow.

The exposition-heavy scene going through the dead cop's files was a low point, too convenient and too soon but that's the pressure of having to throw everything into the pilot episode. I also didn't buy the shared look of camaraderie between Ichabod and the girl at the end, that "private" moment of mutual respect and friendship felt forced, not quite earned yet.

I'll watch a couple more for sure and if they keep making smart decisions I'll probably enjoy this season. It all depends on how they deal with the biblical elements, it could become too heavy-handed.
    Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

I agree. You have to turn off your brain to real police protocol. There was a lot of plot convenient, but for a NETWORK show it was better then most. I'm intrigued to see if the quality holds up. Not a shabby premiere.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuffin View Post
        Watched this Monday night. Interesting premise. Gets a little too dense plot wise towards the end, but, they are trying to set up seven years of show :>) Loved the main character (Ichabod), and the actor playing him. Also thought the police chief (Brother from another planet) was very good. Female lead also quite good, though, her delivery was at a disadvantage because I was constantly comparing it to her British trained scene partner.

Looked like the producers were aiming for a mix of Scandal and Once upon a time - may catch an audience and be a hit. I may not watch again, because it looks like (from the previews) that they are going for more gore than I like.
        I thought it was more like "Elementary" meets "The X-Files" (happy 20th!) meets "Grimm" meets "Once Upon A Time" (plus the Wonderland spin-off). It has promise, but has to be its' own show.

Orlando Jones plays the police chief, not Joe Morton from "Eureka".
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by ReneC View Post
          It asks a lot of the viewers, especially to ignore everything we know about police procedure. If you can turn that part of your brain off and accept the biblical twist they threw into the premise, this is actually quite enjoyable. High production value, great cast, interesting characters, quality FX, and excellent dialogue.

*SPOILERS*

The opening really grabbed me. A civil war battle, high action, lots going on, and the only word spoken during the entire sequence is when a soldier yells out "CRANE!" Not even five minutes in he's already waking up in the future, and as disoriented as he is the reaction to the blacktop road is perfect, followed by the trailer moment of the truck racing past. Beautifully done.

Ichabod's intelligent and highly adaptable, it doesn't bog down every time he's introduced to some new future wizardry. He accepts what he sees and he's highly observant so he sees much. It wouldn't work any other way for the show so I'm glad they got that part right. Also smart that they made his present-day guide/partner significant enough to stand out. She has her own story, every bit as interesting as his because, unlike Ichabod, we don't know who she is yet but she's definitely tied to what's going on somehow.

The exposition-heavy scene going through the dead cop's files was a low point, too convenient and too soon but that's the pressure of having to throw everything into the pilot episode. I also didn't buy the shared look of camaraderie between Ichabod and the girl at the end, that "private" moment of mutual respect and friendship felt forced, not quite earned yet.

I'll watch a couple more for sure and if they keep making smart decisions I'll probably enjoy this season. It all depends on how they deal with the biblical elements, it could become too heavy-handed.

I totally agree with you about the exposition and rushed relationship between Crane and Mills, making me wish this was a 2-hour or a 90 minute pilot (only FX and USA are doing those nowadays).
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by ReneC View Post
            A civil war battle
            Revolutionary War

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by thatcomedian View Post
              Revolutionary War
              That's embarrassing. I knew that, no idea why I wrote Civil War. Thanks for the correction.
              Vancouver Screenwriters Meetup Group

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                I thought it was more like "Elementary" meets "The X-Files" (happy 20th!) meets "Grimm" meets "Once Upon A Time" (plus the Wonderland spin-off). It has promise, but has to be its' own show.

Orlando Jones plays the police chief, not Joe Morton from "Eureka".
                Woops! Slightly crushing on both actors, and I do mix them up. Mr. Jones was quite good in this, I thought.

Comment

Not only did they get a full season order--they got renewed for a second season already. Pretty unusual for FOX.

Comment

Originally posted by celticbeauty View Post
                    Not only did they get a full season order--they got renewed for a second season already. Pretty unusual for FOX.
                    Good! I'm still watching. I really like the actor playing Icabod, and the actress playing opposite him. Its fun to see British Actor opposite American Method Actress, plus their completely different ways of delivering lines, and different accents. Works with the time travel/fish out of water plot.

Of course a lot of the scary parts just make me laugh, but that's okay with me.

Comment

Originally posted by celticbeauty View Post
                      Not really. "Glee" got renewed for two years during their fourth year.

Comment

This show gave me the opposite reaction to Agents of SHIELD.

Wasn't expecting much at all, but turns out I'm really liking it so far.

Weakest episode until now was the third, with the Sandman, IMO.

Comment

The wife and I don't watch much TV these days, especially since I had the Cable disconnected last May. But for some reason last year, although I never watched it, I started DVRing Sleepy Hollow, just because I was curious to see what they did with it.

I confess I had no high hopes, but after a month of no TV, I remembered that I had it on the DVR. We spent the next two weeks watching the entire season, and I was hooked, especially once they brought in John Noble...We're catching it now on Fox.com after the 8 day waiting period.

I'll overlook whatever flaws there are, because it's just a fun show to watch. the fish out of water, the adaptation of historical facts/fiction, the back-stories, and the pretty darned good acting.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Midnite

Comment

Working...
                          X