Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monuments Men

I love World War II movies and have seen most. I was looking forward to Monuments Men, but didn't rush out to see it at the theaters due to the terrible reviews. Well, after finally seeing it via Netflix yesterday, I can see why it got such lousy reviews. As many critics said, the tone was all over the place. The dialogue and editing were also horrible. A great story, but completely ruined. Hard to believe it's such a disaster with the budget and cast they had. But it all goes back to the script, doesn't it? Also, in this case, the director, editor, etc.

Re: Monuments Men

Totally agree. I was so disappointed in this film, given it's potential. I saw it on TV right after the DVDs came out and kept falling asleep and having to go back. (That's a signal to me that the film isn't holding my interest rather than my being tired.) Too many things wrong with it to enumerate, but it starts with the script.

Late Night Writer

Comment

I'll reserve judgment on the script. To me, it looked like the film just didn't come together in the editing room.

Comment

If you want to see this story done right see John Frankenheimer's The Train, which also has the best black and white photography I've ever seen.
        It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
          If you want to see this story done right see John Frankenheimer's The Train, which also has the best black and white photography I've ever seen.
          If that's the one with Burt Lancaster running around the train yards I saw it many years ago and it is well done.

Comment

I watched it via iTunes a few weeks ago and never believed in the "reality" of it for a moment. I was watching the actors, not the characters.

But my husband liked it, and it made my daughter want to go see the art they rescued. So that's something.
            Last edited by LauriD; 06-21-2014, 11:12 PM.
            "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I thought ""Monuments Men" might be a 'stinker' when the trailer showed the all-star cast successfully rescuing artwork instead of showing all of the 'super-duper art team' American soldiers in danger of being killed to get to the artwork, or better yet, in danger while trying to outsmart the 'super-duper art team' German soldiers. "In this movie they succeed," said the trailer, and thus, there was no suspense in it for me. Not an enticing trailer. It could've been a contender!
              Last edited by Clint Hill; 06-21-2014, 08:31 PM.
              “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                THE TRAIN'S a favorite and a classic. Should be required viewing of how to do an action picture that "says something".

Comment

I could tell this film would flop from the premise:

"In a time when millions of Jews & Slavs are being exterminated en masse, come see American heroes save snooty artwork from being butchered!"
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    I could tell this film would flop from the premise:

"In a time when millions of Jews & Slavs are being exterminated en masse, come see American heroes save snooty artwork from being butchered!"
                    Actually if you read the book (and other resources regarding this group of men) you'd realize that this film absolutely shouldn't have flopped. It was an incredible achievement.
                    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                    Dave Barry

Comment

It was very drab throughout.

Watched it in theaters, can hardly recall any of it already... only that it moved at a snail's pace with just talking, talking, talking.

Didn't care about any of the characters too. Clooney, Damon combo was like watching Ocean's 6 or whatever

Comment

A few times the dialogue made me cringe. All I could think was: "I've written a much better WWII script and they made this?"

But I agree that it could have been really good. There was a story there. And Cate Blanchett still performed the heck out of her part.

Comment

Didn't bother seeing this. Considering what the Allies did to Dresden (once known as the Jewel Box due to its beauty) and many other beautiful cities that were filled with irreplaceable European architecture and art (not to mention the people who made them), Hollywood has no business trying to pass off the Allies as "defenders of art."

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
                            Hollywood has no business trying to pass off the Allies as "defenders of art."
                            I guess that depends on who you compare them to.

Last night in San Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
                              Didn't bother seeing this. Considering what the Allies did to Dresden (once known as the Jewel Box due to its beauty) and many other beautiful cities that were filled with irreplaceable European architecture and art (not to mention the people who made them), Hollywood has no business trying to pass off the Allies as "defenders of art."
                              And yet they were. This group of men were and did an amazing job. That's what the movie failed to get across.
                              If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.
                              Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                              X