Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: X-Men First Class

Just saw this movie. I was underwhelmed. I think it was far superior to both X-Men 3 and Wolverine, yet it was a far cry from X2, in my opinion the best of the batch.

I found the main storyline to be adequate at best. Though the two actors portrayed their characters well, especially Fassbender who I can watch hunt Nazis all day long, their friendship never blossomed the way I imagined. Admittedly I have never read an X-Men comic so I can't comment on it's accuracy, but aside from one or two touching scenes that could have been the start of a firm bond, there was too much excess to concentrate on it enough for it to work. The strong scene I'm referring to was the one where Professor X helped Magneto move the satellite. In order to do it he enters Magneto's mind and shares his fondest memory. The film needed more of that. In the other X-Installments their relationship felt like that of brotherly love gone wrong, but I couldn't buy that here. The film was too scattered.

The villains always felt silly and non-threatening, and particularly the standoff between the two countries on their respective battleships was over the top ridiculous. There were better ways to shoot this rather than showing the entire bridge looking out over the bow of the ship, mouth agape and spouting the same orders to their crews in different languages. None of it matched the very first recycled scene from X-Men 1; the one where Magneto's mother and father are being hauled away to a concentration camp and he cries out in excruciating pain discovering his power in the process. That scene was dark and mature. The rest of the film felt campy and over the top. They could have done with a bit more subtlety.

Fassbender is a knock out and I've liked him in everything I've seen him in so far. McAvoy was good too, and I'd even say Jennifer Lawrence was pretty good. The rest of the cast for the most part kept pulling me out of the story, especially January Jones. I watch and love Mad Men, but I'll be the first to admit that January Jones is either the worst actress I've ever seen, or in reality she's a very stagnant person greatly in need of a personality of some sort. Awful.

So, overall I'd compare this film to X1 in that I had a similar issue with it; a very dark concept and poignant introduction, followed by some very good scenes, but then some borderline ridiculous scenes that cooled off the intensity. Don't think it's a double standard that I'm turned off by the ridiculous in a comic book flick. If a film sets itself up to be a crazy romp full of outrageous scenes, that's fine. I enjoyed Thor and Iron Man and others. But when a film sets itself up to fully examine racism and the war crimes of Nazis during the Holocaust, then I expect a story of similar sincerity.

Loved the Wolverine cameo though.
    Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
    Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Damon Lindelhof agrees with the assessment of January's acting.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/damon-...-january-jones

Comment

The Hugh Jackman cameo was pretty awesome.

Comment

Re: X-Men First Class - In Trouble

It was pretty good. A bit long. And McAvoy seemed to be channeling Ewan McGregor's Obi Wan. The Wolverine cameo was the highlight.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
            Just saw this movie. I was underwhelmed. I think it was far superior to both X-Men 3 and Wolverine, yet it was a far cry from X2, in my opinion the best of the batch.

I found the main storyline to be adequate at best. Though the two actors portrayed their characters well, especially Fassbender who I can watch hunt Nazis all day long, their friendship never blossomed the way I imagined. Admittedly I have never read an X-Men comic so I can't comment on it's accuracy, but aside from one or two touching scenes that could have been the start of a firm bond, there was too much excess to concentrate on it enough for it to work. The strong scene I'm referring to was the one where Professor X helped Magneto move the satellite. In order to do it he enters Magneto's mind and shares his fondest memory. The film needed more of that. In the other X-Installments their relationship felt like that of brotherly love gone wrong, but I couldn't buy that here. The film was too scattered.

The villains always felt silly and non-threatening, and particularly the standoff between the two countries on their respective battleships was over the top ridiculous. There were better ways to shoot this rather than showing the entire bridge looking out over the bow of the ship, mouth agape and spouting the same orders to their crews in different languages. None of it matched the very first recycled scene from X-Men 1; the one where Magneto's mother and father are being hauled away to a concentration camp and he cries out in excruciating pain discovering his power in the process. That scene was dark and mature. The rest of the film felt campy and over the top. They could have done with a bit more subtlety.

Fassbender is a knock out and I've liked him in everything I've seen him in so far. McAvoy was good too, and I'd even say Jennifer Lawrence was pretty good. The rest of the cast for the most part kept pulling me out of the story, especially January Jones. I watch and love Mad Men, but I'll be the first to admit that January Jones is either the worst actress I've ever seen, or in reality she's a very stagnant person greatly in need of a personality of some sort. Awful.

So, overall I'd compare this film to X1 in that I had a similar issue with it; a very dark concept and poignant introduction, followed by some very good scenes, but then some borderline ridiculous scenes that cooled off the intensity. Don't think it's a double standard that I'm turned off by the ridiculous in a comic book flick. If a film sets itself up to be a crazy romp full of outrageous scenes, that's fine. I enjoyed Thor and Iron Man and others. But when a film sets itself up to fully examine racism and the war crimes of Nazis during the Holocaust, then I expect a story of similar sincerity.

Loved the Wolverine cameo though.
            I agree 100% with this. Except I wasn't underwhelmed. Maybe because I'd seen Thor the week earlier.

Personally, the whole Cuban missile crisis idea is lame. and so was the 'naming' of Xmen. "You have large feet.... like a BEAST". nope.

But aside from that, that 'satellite' scene is one of the best scenes I've seen in a long while.

Comment

I enjoyed this. It had it's share of flaws, but so do all X-men movies.

The biggest problem was that the film just treads a lot of familiar ground that we have seen in the previous chapters of the franchise. It's a lot of the same themes, same internal and external character conflicts recycled yet again.

Moreover, tying up the storyline to Cuban missile crisis and showing a lot of the 3rd act action moments in the trailers made the film even more predictable.

But I loved Fassbender's Magneto and his storyline, the action was quite good, and the villain had an awesome death scene. And the film was never less than competent.

Solid popcorn fun with some moments of excellence.

Comment

Working...
              X