No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disciple Program Sells w/Mark Wahlberg

Originally posted by Why One View Post
    Why would anyone only focus on a script's problems...
    Because that's how we learn.

Read over the threads. The problems cited are SPECIFIC screenwriting problems: OTN dialogue, unbelievable plot turns, unfilmable action, weak characters, Act 2 filler, Act 3 fizzle, action-movie clichés, on and on and on.

Conversly, the good stuff is mostly what words he used, he has a cool style, he is a nice guy, he deserves to sell for trying, he networked and won people over, his agent loves him, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas View Post
      If you could publish a list of rules for what I'm allowed to criticize, it would save time in the future.
      LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac H. View Post
        Why do you think Universal paid good money for it?
        Simple: Nobody knows anything. --William Goldman

Nobody in the film industry knows what will be hit or what will be a flop, as John Carter demonstrates. So they're desperate for reassurance, which is why there are so many sequels and adaptations.

They see this guy, Carson Reeves, whose blog is very popular and who seems to know what he's talking about (it's known that industry professionals follow Scriptshadow). He reads a screenplay and flips; the executives assume it's great whether or not they personally like it. They have the appearance of an expert opinion, and their asses are covered if it flops because they can say, "Hey, I never liked the thing. It was Carson Reeves."

Also, Univeral makes a lot of shitty movies.

Comment

They see this guy, Carson Reeves, whose blog is very popular and who seems to know what he's talking about (it's known that industry professionals follow Scriptshadow). He reads a screenplay and flips; the executives assume it's great whether or not they personally like it. They have the appearance of an expert opinion, and their asses are covered if it flops because they can say, "Hey, I never liked the thing. It was Carson Reeves."
          Any exec who would cite an amateur screenwriting blogger as reason for putting a film into production wouldn't be in this industry long.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't start thinking that some dude with a blog has pull over what a major studio does and does not do.

U bought TDP because it fit what they were looking for. Nothing more or less to it.

Comment

Originally posted by NoirDigits View Post
              Okay, perhaps envious was the wrong word. Unprofessional is what I should have said.
              Sure, that's fine.

Glee in pointing out flaws can definitely be odd and, yes, unprofessional.

I'll hand it to the pros. They're pretty good coming off as pros, even on a message board where patience is often tested. Something to learn from.

Comment

If I'm just jealous, why would I single out The Disciple Program? Why not another script that recently sold? Why not ALL scripts that were the screenwriter's first sale?

If I was going to rag on someone's work just out of jealousy, it would be Josh Zetumer or Jon Spaihts or something.
                Last edited by Atlas; 05-21-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

If you think the industry doesn't care about Scriptshadow, you're wrong and wrong. Obviously people at WME read it.

Comment

If you think the industry doesn't about Scriptshadow, you're wrong and wrong.
                    Who said we don't know about the site? The point it, as you've just pointed out, he's not exactly respected. Certainly not enough that someone would greenlight a movie because some guy on the internet liked a draft of the script.

Why isn't he working in studio dev. making 6 figures if he's such a king-maker?

Comment

He got some people to read it, we know that. But if you think Universal or WME give a flying f#ck what a blogger thinks, you're listening to the wrong people.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                        He got some people to read it, we know that. But if you think Universal or WME give a flying f#ck what a blogger thinks, you're listening to the wrong people.
                        If you don't think so, you're blind.

Comment

If you don't think so, you're blind.
                          Like a fox!

Comment

Originally posted by HomerS3 View Post
                            Who said we don't know about the site? The point it, as you've just pointed out, he's not exactly respected. Certainly not enough that someone would greenlight a movie because some guy on the internet liked a draft of the script.
                            The word I'd accidentally omitted was "care," not "know." The point of those links is the impact Carson's reviews can have, ie "the studio went ballistic."

Originally posted by HomerS3 View Post
                            Any exec who would cite an amateur screenwriting blogger as reason for putting a film into production wouldn't be in this industry long.
                            Whether or not those words would literally be uttered is irrelevant.

Comment

The point of those links is the impact Carson's reviews can have, ie "the studio went ballistic."
                              Ah! So we've arrived at the crux of why August and Mazin believe this blog does a disservice to writers -- no one cares if someone LIKES a script. EVERYONE cares if there is the slightest bit of negativity around a script.

We are an industry full of nervous people. Every professional writer has experienced momentum evaporate into thin air, excitement about a script go from the heavens to the ground in an instant all because one person went "meh" and everyone else backed off. "Paul said 'meh!' Maybe it's not as good as we all thought!"

Some amateur blogger's opinion is no better than anyone else's -- but any negative response from some guy on the internet to an early script draft can potentially be disastrous.

I'll say it again. No one cares if someone likes something. Everyone cares if someone doesn't, no matter who they are.

Comment

This script sold for the same reason most other scripts sell: Someone thinks they can make a movie out of it that other ppl will pay money to see.

I thought it was kinda boring & I couldn't finish it, so I understand where the critics are coming from. But bottom line-- it was good enough to get bought.

This speaks to what we talk about here all the time... you don't have to write an absolutely GREAT script to get noticed-- despite what some pros keep saying. You have to write a commercial script that someone is willing to pay money for.

It's not only about great writing (whatever that is), it's about having the right script at the right time... it's about having a COMMERCIAL script.

TDP is a modern action/thriller with a good hook & a castable lead. The writer showed some flair in the writing. There are lessons to be learned here if you pay attention.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Working...
                                X