Do people know the circumstances of the Mary Celeste?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people know the circumstances of the Mary Celeste?

I was planning to use this ship as an entry point to a script. Mentioned to my partner - blank look before she added "I think its a ship". Aghast I asked my well read very bright stepdaughter - nope, nada, nothing. Wow!

Honestly my reply was "I'm pretty sure it's even been on Scooby Doo!" (It hasn't so far as I can see, I checked)

What else do I think is general public knowledge actually isn't?
    Last edited by Southern_land; 05-04-2020, 01:19 AM.
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Re: Do people know the circumstances of the Mary Celeste?

I know quite a lot of useless crap, and often do rather well in pleasing my smug self when watching University Challenge and Mastermind - but all I think I know about the Mary Celeste is that it was a boat that went missing and was eventually found with no-one on board - but I couldn't tell you "the circumstances".
    Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
    "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
      I know quite a lot of useless crap, and often do rather well in pleasing my smug self when watching University Challenge and Mastermind - but all I think I know about the Mary Celeste is that it was a boat that went missing and was eventually found with no-one on board - but I couldn't tell you "the circumstances".
      Yeah which was about my expectation but across the board, most people would have a basic, passing understanding of it. Asked two people at work today, one pub quizzer had a basic understanding, the other could only display a blank look.

Best solution I think (now) is to portray the events of my script and cut to newspaper headline or something trite.
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

“Abandoned Ship: The Mary Celeste” (Smithsonian article)

The True Story of the Mary Celeste (Smithsonian Channel documentary)
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Rather than add to the historical disinformation already out there along with the sensationalism promoted by Conan Doyle in 1884, who published "J. Habakuk Jephson's Statement," why not make it a different ship altogether with a similar fate and more eerie circumstances, a story derived for your movie from something along the lines of material from the likes of Richard Bachman or Beryl Evans?
          Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-06-2020, 07:24 AM.
          “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
            Rather than add to the historical disinformation already out there along with the sensationalism promoted by Conan Doyle in 1884, who published "J. Habakuk Jephson's Statement," why not make it a different ship altogether with a similar fate and more eerie circumstances, a story derived for your movie from something along the lines of material from the likes of Richard Bachman or Beryl Evans?
            To be honest i thought the anecdotal story of the MC was far more a part of folklore than it is. If it was well known then a 3 minute digression to show my version of what happened was worthwhile. Clearly the loss of the crew isn't that well known so might be a needless diversion
            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
              ... the loss of the crew isn't that well known ...
              The passengers must have been terribly upset.

[joking]
              Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
              "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

The passengers must have been terribly upset.

[joking]
                Pretty sure that's why they jumped ship. Didn't want to be liable for the crew drinks bill
                I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Huh, I just noticed this, I guess some tales get forgotten about, this legend was well known to everyone and their dog when I was younger. The ship found abandoned in calm waters, food still on the table as if the meal had suddenly been interrupted, the lifeboat missing, the crew never found, one of the sea's great mysteries. That's what went around, anyway. I hesitate to click on links in case it's all a load of bollocks.

Comment

Working...
                  X