This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

Originally posted by umo View Post
    Since when does a manufacturer pay to manufacture product? Manufacturers get paid to manufacture.
    I dunno nuthin' about birthin' no babies or about guild agreements, but

I know a manufacturer who pays to manufacture products. They pay me, because I invented the products. They pay me a licensing fee. And if they don't, they may not manufacture them. Another one pays my brother for the ones he invented. My dad made money the same way. It's called licensing. Or as they said in Spaceballs, "Merchandising!" "Spaceballs the movie or Spaceballs the lunchbox?"

Comment

Since when does a manufacturer pay to manufacture product? Manufacturers get paid to manufacture.
      Wow. You've outdone yourself, Umo.

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
        I dunno nuthin' about birthin' no babies or about guild agreements, but

I know a manufacturer who pays to manufacture a product. They pay me, because I invented the product. They pay me a licensing fee. And if they don't, they may not manufacture it. Another one pays my brother for one he invented. My dad made money the same way. It's called licensing. Or as they said in Spaceballs, "Merchandising!" "Spaceballs the movie or Spaceballs the lunchbox?"
        Hi, Manchester. So you sold the licensing fee directly to the manufacterer? May I ask what your cut is as a percentage?

Does the manufacturer also distribute?

Thanks!
        Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!

Comment

I can't believe this needs explained....that's why I'm not going to bother.
          "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
            Wow. You've outdone yourself, Umo.
            I aim to please.

Comment

Hi, Manchester. So you sold the licensing fee directly to the manufacterer? May I ask what your cut is as a percentage?

Does the manufacturer also distribute?

Thanks!
              No, to get a "license fee", one "licenses". And yes, you may ask, but I shall not answer what my cut is. Typically for consumer products, it's 5%. That's patent licensing, not copyright licensing. Anyway, you said manufactures don't pay. But they do pay me.

And yes, they distribute.

Comment

So... you think Paramount pays Hasbro to manufacture Transformer toys? God, they must be losing billions of dollars on merchandising - the more toys that sell, the more the studio loses.

I don't know how they stay in business. Volume, I guess.

Comment

I'm dying...

My cheeks hurt from LOLing and smiling really hard.

Comment

In other words, writer compensation is 5% of the "?" amount...an amount paid to the manufacturer.

Writer compensation is not tied into the profits of product manufacturing, sales volume or any other form of compensation.

The manufacturer GETS PAID for manufacturing the product, the COMPANY gets paid for manufacturing the product, but the writer gets paid only a percentage of the "?" amount.

Again, if you guys are happy with this arrangement, then you're all happy.
                    Last edited by umo; 03-21-2011, 05:21 AM. Reason: Wrong word.

Comment

• Re: This is really depressing (but not unexpected)....

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                      I'm dying...

My cheeks hurt from LOLing and smiling really hard.
                      Me too.

Comment

In other words, writer compensation is 5% of the "Licensing fee" ONLY, which is what is paid to the manufacturer.

Writer compensation is not tied into the profits of product manufacturing, sales volume or any other form of compensation.

The manufacturer GETS PAID for manufacturing the product, the COMPANY gets paid for the products, but the writer gets paid only a percentage of the licensing fee for the product.

Do you understand basic business?

When a manufacturer MANUFACTURES a product, it creates INVENTORY.

That inventory must now be sold to a CUSTOMER (in this case a middle-man like WAL-MART or TOYS R US).

When a company like Pepsi sticks a Star Wars character on its bottle, it pays a licensing fee. But that company still has inventory that it has to sell to a consumer.

The company is hoping that the incremental revenue of a licensed product will be greater than the fee paid for the product.

Comment

Do you understand basic business?

When a manufacturer MANUFACTURES a product, it creates INVENTORY.

That inventory must now be sold to a CUSTOMER (in this case a middle-man like WAL-MART or TOYS R US).

When a company like Pepsi sticks a Star Wars character on its bottle, it pays a licensing fee. But that company still has inventory that it has to sell to a consumer.

The company is hoping that the incremental revenue of a licensed product will be greater than the fee paid for the product.
                          Really?

Comment

Really. I have an econ degree from Harvard. Maybe I'm not qualified to talk about anything screenwriting related, but I do know ECONOMICS 101!!!!!

Comment

In other words, writer compensation is 5% of the "Licensing fee" ONLY, which is what is paid to the manufacturer.

The manufacturer GETS PAID for manufacturing the product, the COMPANY gets paid for the products, but the writer gets paid only a percentage of the licensing fee for the product.

There are many words in those sentences. Very few of them are in the right place.

Comment

Really. I have an econ degree from Harvard. Maybe I'm not qualified to talk about anything screenwriting related, but I do know ECONOMICS 101!!!!!
                                Great. Interpret the clause being discussed.

Does the writer benefit, as a percentage of sales or from any other revenue other than 5% of licensing rights paid to the manufactuerer?

Comment

Working...
                                X