Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact x Netflix #3

Imagine's Impact X Netflix third prompt is...

.. Female-Led Thriller.

Applications open: October 15 - November 1st, 2020

Examples of what they're looking for: Gone Girl, What Lies Beneath, Silence of the Lambs, Bird Box... tense and suspenseful plots with complex and compelling women at their center.

Application and FAQ:https://impactcreativesystems.com/netflix

Good luck, people. I'm out.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-07-2020, 06:42 AM. Reason: Adding tags

Re: Impact x Netflix #3

Although I wasn't selected for the first Impact x Netflix prompt (big family friendly project), a couple of weeks ago I received an invitation to join their Impact Creative Network platform and post the script I submitted there. Anyone else on ICN from prior Impact cohorts or submissions?

Curious to see if it's led to any direct contacts from the producers, showrunners and creative execs that ICN says are part of it (about 300 companies). A few of the Impact projects that were selected have sold (both features and TV).

I just assumed I was out and that was it when I didn't receive any notification about my submission. So if you applied for the second or third prompt and aren't selected, there's still a chance Imagine Impact may invite you to list your project on ICN. Good luck -- it's a pretty tough process. The Impact x Netflix project drew about 4,400 entries according to their admin person.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
      Imagine's Impact X Netflix third prompt is...

.. Female-Led Thriller.

Applications open: October 15 - November 1st, 2020

Examples of what they're looking for: Gone Girl, What Lies Beneath, Silence of the Lambs, Bird Box... tense and suspenseful plots with complex and compelling women at their center.

Application and FAQ:https://impactcreativesystems.com/netflix

Good luck, people. I'm out.
      I don't have anything but I like the prompt.

Comment

Originally posted by richfigel View Post
        Although I wasn't selected for the first Impact x Netflix prompt (big family friendly project), a couple of weeks ago I received an invitation to join their Impact Creative Network platform and post the script I submitted there. Anyone else on ICN from prior Impact cohorts or submissions?
        This sounds awesome. Good luck with it.

It almost sounds like the BL paid site, except your script is admitted by invitation only and you don't have to pay for notes or hosting.

Here's the FAQ for the Impact Creative Network: https://impactcreativesystems.com/the-creative-network

Comment

Thanks, figment! They just started the Impact Creative Network thing about two months ago I think, so it's a work in progress. At the moment, the members can post one project at a time (they recommend we list the submitted script Impact liked) and add another "Sample" project. You also get to post a Writer's Profile bio if the industry people want to know more about you or see if you're currently repped. And yes, it costs the writer nothing so that's nice!

Comment

Sorry if this comes off as a bit jaded, but I was invited into the Impact community of writers and am a member of the Impact Creative Network, and I have yet to see any value in any of it, save for those few writers accepted into the Impact program.

I've seen people celebrating their invitation into this community on FB and elsewhere as if it means something, but the only upside I can see is the remote possibility that someone randomly stumbles across my profile (1 of ~1000) and magically takes interest in one of my samples, though neither of them has been read by anyone at Impact.

Outside of the precious few projects that were accepted into Impact, none of the projects on this platform have been vetted for quality. While there are some veteran writers in the community, there are also tons of novices who have only written a script or two, so it's safe to say that there are quite a number of projects on the platform that are pretty raw and undeveloped.

I don't believe producers, reps or execs would bother to sift through this Impact slush pile as long as it's set up like this. No harm in it, but I see it as like a free version of Inktip. You could theoretically attract the interest of a legit party on Impact, whereas there is virtually no one worth doing business with on Inktip, but in both cases, I see them as mere due diligence for a writer that will yield nothing in return.

So for those of you who weren't invited, I'd say you aren't missing anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
              ... the only upside I can see is the remote possibility that someone randomly stumbles across my profile (1 of ~1000) and magically takes interest in one of my samples, though neither of them has been read by anyone at Impact.
              Here's my question -- If it's not for scripts they know they like, how are they deciding who to invite? I assumed the entire point was that the scripts were curated by them, but didn't fit the Netflix requirements in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNeckJoe View Post
                Sorry if this comes off as a bit jaded, but I was invited into the Impact community of writers and am a member of the Impact Creative Network, and I have yet to see any value in any of it, save for those few writers accepted into the Impact program.

I've seen people celebrating their invitation into this community on FB and elsewhere as if it means something, but the only upside I can see is the remote possibility that someone randomly stumbles across my profile (1 of ~1000) and magically takes interest in one of my samples, though neither of them has been read by anyone at Impact.

Outside of the precious few projects that were accepted into Impact, none of the projects on this platform have been vetted for quality. While there are some veteran writers in the community, there are also tons of novices who have only written a script or two, so it's safe to say that there are quite a number of projects on the platform that are pretty raw and undeveloped.

I don't believe producers, reps or execs would bother to sift through this Impact slush pile as long as it's set up like this. No harm in it, but I see it as like a free version of Inktip. You could theoretically attract the interest of a legit party on Impact, whereas there is virtually no one worth doing business with on Inktip, but in both cases, I see them as mere due diligence for a writer that will yield nothing in return.

So for those of you who weren't invited, I'd say you aren't missing anything at all.
                I agree with a lot of this, BUT this is very early. I know from conversations with them that they're working on a lot of different ways to get traffic to the site, etc. Also OWAs and things.

Comment

Nothing wrong with being jaded. Hell, after all the hype about the Black List site, I got "8" and above scores on a script that put me on their Top Horror list and went out in their weekly email... all I got out of it was about two dozen downloads, but nothing came of that. So I'm not doing cartwheels over the ICN invite.

Not sure about their criteria, but the email I received from the Impact VP of Operations said they felt my writing and submission were "particularly strong." The ICN scripts are posted under "Staff Picks" so I think there had to be some vetting involved. Anyway, it's not costing me anything so I'm happy to be listed.

Aloha,
                  Rich

Comment

Nothing wrong with being jaded. Hell, after all the hype about the Black List site, I got "8" and above scores on a script that put me on their Top Horror list and went out in their weekly email... all I got out of it was about two dozen downloads, but nothing came of that. So I'm not doing cartwheels over the ICN invite.

Not sure about their criteria, but the email I received from the Impact VP of Operations said they felt my writing and submission were "particularly strong." The ICN scripts are posted under "Staff Picks" so I think there had to be some vetting involved. Anyway, it's not costing me anything so I'm happy to be listed.

Aloha,
                    Rich
                    Can I ask how much detail you went into in your submission? They say to be concise but I have read of people submitting page long answers for each question.

Comment

You only get paid scale?

Comment

Re how much detail on my submission, I tried to keep each answer succinct and to the point without being repetitive since some of the questions seem to overlap. Force of habit, I guess from writing queries and one-page pitches. Biggest difference between my last Impact submission and first one is that my 30-sec video just focused on the project to hook them on that. My first video submission I tried talking about why I felt they should select me instead of my project.

I'm not good at pitching or speaking in public in front of groups, but here's the video I submitted in case anyone is curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfQGUD6SxVE

Comment

Thanks for sharing your pitch video. Thinking of trying this next one so it's helpful to see examples. I suppose the thriller genre may have more entries though.

Comment

Hey Rich, congratulations on getting into the network! Just to clarify -- the script that got you invited -- was it a completed script that you had ready for the family-friendly prompt, or was it a different project?
                            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Thanks, UpandComing. It's a completed script that had been optioned awhile back but didn't get made, so rights reverted to me. Parts of the video were slides from a PowerPoint pitch I did in front of some industry people. As much as I dislike doing pitches in person or on video, I think there is a growing trend to do video pitches (or on Zoom) because of Covid. I've noticed there are more pitch contests too that are incorporating videos. Thank god we can edit them!

Oh, also Impact has submission questions that allow you to pitch other projects you have or are developing. They said we can change our listed projects on ICN to feature other scripts if we want to, but they strongly suggested we post the one they responded too and leave it up for at least a month before replacing it with another project.

Comment

Working...
                              X