Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

Gucci -- maybe this is a PM - but I can't keep up with what genre you write or maybe you write many different ones...

I'm a comedy a$$hole myself for anyone wondering about me. But why would you be wondering when you see how funny I am and how humble I am?

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
      Gucci -- maybe this is a PM - but I can't keep up with what genre you write or maybe you write many different ones...

I'm a comedy a$$hole myself for anyone wondering about me. But why would you be wondering when you see how funny I am and how humble I am?

Well, if I saw you at a party, I'd sit by you. Because I know hilarity will ensue.

Comment

It can go either way. Fun or all out depression!

You should see what most stand up comedians look like off stage. Most of them are dead inside.

Also if you say me at a party -- that's not me -- because I hate parties!

Comment

Oh come on. Who doesn't love some Bono at parties? I know I do.

Comment

Nah... we'd all have a good time. I'd pour drinks down your throat until that happened. **** would get cray. That, or don't invite me! LOL

As to what I write, there's actually a method to my madness...

I'd sum it up by: DARK AND FUKKED UP. Always.

I started with a dark family drama. That got me signed. 4 weeks later I had a thing like HELL OR HIGH WATER/SICARIO.

I've written a show about a mad scientist chef (sold it). Basically Nip/Tuck meets Californication set in a ultra-high end avant garde restaurant. Dark. Lead is an *******.

I've written a political TV show (what would it look like to build a new country for real).

I've written a huge sci-fi feature (Matrix meets John Wick. Hella action. HUGE set pieces.)

What else?

My latest show is autobiographical dark drama? Smallish, intimate. Racial.

Oh, before that I wrote a horror (feature). Think 4Chan serial killer.

It looks like I'm all over the place on paper, but there is actually a through-line to all my sh!t. Every one of them has the theme of "GLAM vs GRIT" and how those two worlds collide in our lives. Just in different settings/genres. My entire life has been that way. So, I'm essentially "writing what I know."
            Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
              I'd join, too, if only because I was on it and want to see what you guys think. lol.
              i'll read it. let you know what i think.
              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                Maybe try the Kairos Prize. They only get about 500 entries, the big prize is significant, and they claim everything gets read twice. The only issue is, good or bad, they're looking for faith-based - though they say they've received some good horror and sci-fi "faith-based" in their day. Early bird is Aug-1, I think, @ $50, and it gets much more expensive after that.
                Kairos is a Roman Catholic retreat that you can only do once in your life. I am familiar with the contest. Your material needs to be clean. No violence at all. There is no such thing as PG Horror, as far as I'm aware. If they say they accept horror, then they're lying (wouldn't that be ironic), or their definition of horror is simply misguided.

Comment

Trackingb just sent an email saying the final deadline was the 30th, so get those scripts in! It’s the first time I ever did this, but I replied “$129 for a screenplay contest (without notes) is far too rich for my blood, but thanks for the notification.” I dunno, I guess I was just annoyed by the fact it’s a $129 lottery ticket in a contest that’s open to EVERYONE (repped, sold, and working writers alike). They were once on the list of “top contests” when the entry fee was $30 (and the rules were actually the same), but since jacking up the price without any explanation as to why, it seems they’re an afterthought now. But if you’ve got money to burn and don’t mind the lack of transparency or not receiving an email notification for the winners, then by all means, enter today!
                  FADE IN:
                  PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                  NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

It was $69 dollars in 2008 when I entered which was second year of contest -- so I don't think it was ever 30 bucks... . So 11 years later it comes up in price -- like everything else in life.

Is there any contest that's 30 bucks? Maybe if you enter your script like super early and a year before deadline... aren't most 50-75 bucks? Aren't many run the same -- send money, send script, top people do well, the rest you have no idea what happened, but you lost. I'm not seeing the difference. Just saying.

Yes, I did well in the contest. I also found my own rep at the exact same time with same script so I never needed the contest. But I made some friends from that contest that I still talk with today so it was worth it then.

Would I enter in 2019? I might consider it. I don't see why it's any less risky than some other contests we talk about here all the time.

Just my two cents. I keep pushing everyone to query and forget contests. But yes in 2019 I 100% understand how much harder it is to get their attention.

And from talking to some writers here, if you had success in contests, maybe been shown interest in reps already -- it's hard to go back to these contests when you can just contact the industry directly, you know? Hit up all the people on the trackingb reading list instead.
                    Last edited by Bono; 09-27-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

The $129 is the last minute fee. I think the early deadline is a bit cheaper. That said, this is not a contest for getting feedback or putting a feather in your cap. It's for people who know they're ready to dip their toes in professional waters and have a script that can get them there. Both these contests are worth the price of admission because you'll have a real shot at getting a manager. And not some schmuck in Palmdale, either.

Comment

It was $69 dollars in 2008 when I entered which was second year of contest -- so I don't think it was ever 30 bucks... . So 11 years later it comes up in price -- like everything else in life.

Is there any contest that's 30 bucks? Maybe if you enter your script like super early and a year before deadline... aren't most 50-75 bucks? Aren't many run the same -- send money, send script, top people do well, the rest you have no idea what happened, but you lost. I'm not seeing the difference. Just saying.

Yes, I did well in the contest. I also found my own rep at the exact same time with same script so I never needed the contest. But I made some friends from that contest that I still talk with today so it was worth it then.

Would I enter in 2019? I might consider it. I don't see why it's any less risky than some other contests we talk about here all the time.

Just my two cents. I keep pushing everyone to query and forget contests. But yes in 2019 I 100% understand how much harder it is to get their attention.

And from talking to some writers here, if you had success in contests, maybe been shown interest in reps already -- it's hard to go back to these contests when you can just contact the industry directly, you know? Hit up all the people on the trackingb reading list instead.
                        I could've sworn I paid $30 back in the day when I entered, but I could be mistaken. Dug around and found this link that said the contest was $35: https://www.writersdigest.com/editor...great-resource
                        Most contests do send an email announcing the winners, so it irked me a little bit that trackingb doesn't take the time to email a rejection notice. That's their prerogative and that's fine, but no notification feels like a writer is throwing his/her work into a black hole and he/she has no idea if it was even read. The early deadline is $99, so yes, a bit cheaper. And I agree, it's not a contest for Joe Schmoe from Idaho. But I bet he's still donating...
                        FADE IN:
                        NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Maybe it was $35 the first year and did well, so they went to the funny number of $69 dollars instead of $70, but double of course.

Comment

Maybe it was $35 the first year and did well, so they went to the funny number of $69 dollars instead of $70, but double of course.
                            I maintain they raised the entry fee to avoid becoming as big as Nicholl, or Page, or any other contest that receives upwards of 6,000 entries. Last I knew the inaugural year received just shy of 1,000 so raising costs helps to scare away the penniless. The drawback is you're also eliminating potentially great, but broke writers. I don't know how trackingb is doing as far as track record lately, but I do notice many of their current winners are already repped, whereas before it was mostly amateurs placing in the top 8.
                            FADE IN:
                            NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Anyone get into the top 100 of the feature contest?

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                                Anyone get into the top 100 of the feature contest?
                                Do you mean Tracking Board Launch Pad?
                                I was one of the winners in last year's contest. (Not the grand prize winner).
                                If you made the Top 100 this year, good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X