Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon deal with producer

I got a script currently under option with producer, it has six months remianing then option to renew for another six months for a certain amount. He is wanting to put it on amazon studios site. If he does and they option it and get all that renewal time, am I screwed? They sent me an email (amazon) to day about it and I wrote the producer and asked him what it was all about, but what I read about amazon is not something I want to deal with. Can I refuse to let him put it on the site?

Need some advice here guys.

Snowman

Re: amazon deal with producer

Originally posted by snowman View Post
    I got a script currently under option with producer, it has six months remianing then option to renew for another six months for a certain amount. He is wanting to put it on amazon studios site. If he does and they option it and get all that renewal time, am I screwed? They sent me an email (amazon) to day about it and I wrote the producer and asked him what it was all about, but what I read about amazon is not something I want to deal with. Can I refuse to let him put it on the site?

Snowman
    My answer would be "hell, no". But if he optioned it, I guess he would be free to pitch it whomever he pleases regardless of your opinion.
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Snowman: If the producer has an option, he can do whatever he wants, as Limama said, and you have no control. Period. That is obviously the inherent flaw in any option. And if he wants to put it on Amazon, I'd say you're definitely screwed, because IF he is a legitimate producer with credits and connections, he would not be doing it with Amazon that way. He'd be meeting with them face to face, just like he would with any other studio, which is what Amazon is now (legitimately). You might want to ask him why he's doing it the "amateur" way.

Comment

Any "producer" trying to go the Amazon Studios route has absolutely no game IMO, so unless you're in business with him/her simply for whatever option money you may have earned or will earn, I wouldn't expect much to come of your dealings with this party.

Comment

I have a general rule that I don't deal with Producers that I don't get through a good agent, a good coverage site, a screenwriting contest, or virtual pitch.com

Comment

Gee, some producer. You could have gone to Amazon yourself.

Until producer executes option, you still own all rights.

In order for amazon to option it, they have to deal with person who currently owns rights. That would be you. Producer only has option to purchase rights, until option is executed, you still own rights.

IMO, producer needs to buy rights from you (execute option) in order to then option it to Amazon.

Consult an attorney!

Comment

He has two well named actors attached so he would still have to pay me my payment for the script if they picked it up, which I'm ok, with as that is what I agreed to, but its those option things that could happen that worry me. as I want to see it done sooner than later, but I think he is doing the private amazon thing with them all attached. So that might be diffrent than the "public" division. If someone knows out there please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, I agree Limama, he can do what shoping he wants while under the agreement and you never know what a producer is gonna do until after you sign the option.

We all want to see our scripts get made but sometimes it's a rocky road and full of suprises. So, I just have to sit back and wait see what comes of it.

My understanding is just an initial 45 days?

Snowman

Comment

So that might be different than the "public" division. If someone knows out there please correct me if I'm wrong.
                There is a difference as I understand it. Surely some overlap behind the scenes but a difference. The "one of the big three" repped writer/director I do some development work for met with Amazon recently via one of the producers attached to a pilot he wrote (originally for 20th Century Fox TV).
                Will
                Done Deal Pro
                www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Re: Amazon deal with producer

Thanks Will, i think that is what my producer is doing/hoping for? I just voiced my concern over the "right to option thing". So hopefully this will help him and open doors for other producers/writers.

Snowman

Comment

Snowman
                    So this doesn't even make sense...

If they're actually putting the script on the site, they're allowing Amazon to option it for 30 days.

If amazon likes the script(odds are they won't, just because it's a crapshoot) they pay 10K and option it for 1.5 years. Which would be LONGER than you say your producer's option is.

Plus they'll give you a WGA contract. And 10,000. And won't be looking for a co-production with your producer.

Is the producer saying he/she is the co-writer? Are they going to keep the 10,000? I don't get this at all.

Comment

They sent me an email (amazon) to day about it
                      If the email subject is "Your script is now live at Amazon Studios" he's just submitted it through the site and your script is now under a 45 day option which AS can extend indefinitely.

AS do seem to still be acquiring scripts via the traditional route though, fingers crossed for you.
                      Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

After I voiced my concern he wrote a letter and got it taken off and amazon sent him a confirmation letter telling him it would not be put on but can never be put on again for consideration.

Since I didn't agree to it and they told amazon, it was enough to get it off.

Snowman

Comment

Working...
                        X