• Show
Clear All

• For you older folk (me)

Don't give up

https://industrialscripts.com/filmma...tGZ8fFJwaEG29A
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Re: For you older folk (me)

FYI... My ex signed a dude who was a first time writer at 50. He got decent traction. Up for OWAs. Landed one.

No one cares about age if you can tell a RAD story. I believe they think it's MORE interesting (Dude... I've been through all this bullsh!t... feel me?). What's your life been like? Ya know?
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction
      Thank you for posting this! Hit the big 40 recently...Ugh... Trying to quiet that voice whispering in my ear "You're too old and it's too late!"
      Articles like this help me to stay positive and keep pushing.
      my motto...

it doesn't matter when you chase your dreams, what matters is that you do.

and...

surround yourself with people who believe in your dreams...

you've got one life, strangerthanfiction, do what you desire most... care not what others think...
      Last edited by finalact4; 08-27-2019, 06:26 AM.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
        my motto...

it doesn't matter when you chase your dreams, what matters is that you do.

and...

surround yourself with people who believe in your dreams...

you've got one life, strangerthanfiction, do what you desire most... care not what others think...
        Not to pick on your word choice, but the word "dream" when applied to the arts always struck as someone who wants it but refuses to put in the hard work. Thus, I feel like it's more of "goal" for you (No?) than a "dream"... I feel like you do the hard work. Doing the work is more of a nightmare! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction
          Thank you, I appreciate your comments.
          My ex used to put me down and tell me that I was ridiculous to think that "someone like me" could be a screenwriter. One of his favourite sayings was "yeh? And I want to be an astronaut and fly to the fukkin moon!"
          I divorced him, moved across the other side of the country, and started all over again. I work a full time minimum wage job. I live pay cheque to pay cheque. But every spare hour I get I'm writing. Most nights until 4 a.m. I have six finished scripts under my belt. About to finish my seventh. I've definitely reached the point where I no longer care what others think.
          Awesome! Good for you. What a d!ck that guy was.

Haters don't understand how much courage this takes to continually get brutalized out there and keep going. Even though agents/managers/producers/execs HATE us until they don't...

FUKK EVERYONE! The balls (man or woman) it takes to put our very SOULS up for ridicule is fukkin enormous! I mean... fukk... the project I'm going out with now is autobiographical. I'm bearing my soul to these people and I can never take the story back. These people will always know incredibly personal sh!t about me. I think the least they could say is "Dude... I'm passing, but god damn... the courage it took to show me this, I can respect that. Because I'm WAY too fukkin afraid to be THAT fukking honest about my flaws."

I can't think of a more masochistic thing to do with your life than constantly being told you're not QUITE good enough "Your sh!t's really fukkin good, but an A is an F to me. It's gotta be an A+ or I will see you as a failure." What other industry works like that? ZERO. In any other industry I'd be a multimillionaire if I was this good, and so would you. That's the rub. That's the risk. Writers risk fukking EVERYTHING to do this.

My ex also told me I was delusional to write a script "Stay in your lane. Etc." She was NOT supportive (right, ex?). I had a big shot agent telling me DO NOT WRITE while I was writing it. Imagine that feeling. Sadly, the world is only getting more cruel. Thanks Trump! Way to be a great role model for our youth (Fukkin d!ck).

Don't listen to anyone who says you aren't good enough. You are ALWAYS 1 script away from being considered a genius by the entire world. 1 script away...

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
            Awesome! Good for you. What a d!ck that guy was.

Haters don't understand how much courage this takes to continually get brutalized out there and keep going. Even though agents/managers/producers/execs HATE us until they don't...

FUKK EVERYONE! The balls (man or woman) it takes to put our very SOULS up for ridicule is fukkin enormous! I mean... fukk... the project I'm going out with now is autobiographical. I'm bearing my soul to these people and I can never take the story back. These people will always know incredibly personal sh!t about me. I think the least they could say is "Dude... I'm passing, but god damn... the courage it took to show me this, I can respect that. Because I'm WAY too fukkin afraid to be THAT fukking honest about my flaws."

I can't think of a more masochistic thing to do with your life than constantly being told you're not QUITE good enough "Your sh!t's really fukkin good, but an A is an F to me. It's gotta be an A+ or I will see you as a failure." What other industry works like that? ZERO. In any other industry I'd be a multimillionaire if I was this good, and so would you. That's the rub. That's the risk. Writers risk fukking EVERYTHING to do this.

My ex also told me I was delusional to write a script "Stay in your lane. Etc." She was NOT supportive (right, ex?). I had a big shot agent telling me DO NOT WRITE while I was writing it. Imagine that feeling. Sadly, the world is only getting more cruel. Thanks Trump! Way to be a great role model for our youth (Fukkin d!ck).

Don't listen to anyone who says you aren't good enough. You are ALWAYS 1 script away from being considered a genius by the entire world. 1 script away...
            Gucci, I think I speak for everyone when I say this, you rock the casbah, dude! Thanks for being supportive of other writers and spreading positivity. It's contagious and inspiring. High five, bruh!

Comment

Originally posted by Strangerthanfiction View Post
              Gucci, I think I speak for everyone when I say this, you rock the casbah, dude! Thanks for being supportive of other writers and spreading positivity. It's contagious and inspiring. High five, bruh!
              High five back! Much love!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                Not to pick on your word choice, but the word "dream" when applied to the arts always struck as someone who wants it but refuses to put in the hard work. Thus, I feel like it's more of "goal" for you (No?) than a "dream"... I feel like you do the hard work. Doing the work is more of a nightmare! LOL
                no, i don't think so. maybe in your experience that's what it means to you?

it starts as a seed of a thought. a wish. a hope. a dream. this is something i knew i could do, i could make the commitment that was required.

it's starts off as something unattainable, because you are ignorant and hopeful. for me it was an embarrassing moment in creative writing class when a prof used my writing as "what not to do." i come from a small town of 12,000. education, well, not so great.

i gave up my dream that day and didn't pick it up again until the moment when i wanted to teach my daughter that she could be anything she wanted to be...

i considered that, and knew that the only way for me to prove that true was to live it. so, for ten years after my divorce i never even dated. i focused on my daughter, my job, and my writing-- cuz, i knew, you couldn't have it all and i refused to put a man between me and my dream, my goal to make it. and while she was small i wrote every single day, 8pm-12am.

men don't understand that commitment. they need a lot of attention. and they're so fukking condescending-- "oh, that's a nice 'hobby' you have. can i come over tonight?" it's like, "no, i'm writing." they say, "oh, you were serious about that? c'mon, let's get together." and me: "yeah, i was serious and this isn't working for me. don't call me again."

so, Strangerthanfiction, i know what you're up against.

my daughter used to come to the top of the stairs every night at midnight and call down to me, "mama, it's time for bed." because it was just her and i and her bedroom was closest to the front door, and it gave me such anxiety that i couldn't sleep unless she was in my room with me. she grew up knowing what my priorities were. her, writing, work.

i've come close. i hope i will again. i've put in the work. still do, but that is NOT a guarantee that you will succeed. thousands of capable writers who can do the job never make it every year. the biggest lie, "if you're good you'll be found," doesn't come from a writer with experience. it comes from someone who isn't a writer.

besides, 'dream' infers a passion that's necessary to achieve it. a goal isn't the same to me. a goal is a means to an end. but a "dream" takes a special kind of commitment on a lot of levels to achieve.

it's just a word. it's our intention behind the word that gives it meaning. dream, goal? whichever you like.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  no, i don't think so. maybe in your experience that's what it means to you?

it starts as a seed of a thought. a wish. a hope. a dream. this is something i knew i could do, i could make the commitment that was required.

it's starts off as something unattainable, because you are ignorant and hopeful. for me it was an embarrassing moment in creative writing class when a prof used my writing as "what not to do." i come from a small town of 12,000. education, well, not so great.

i gave up my dream that day and didn't pick it up again until the moment when i wanted to teach my daughter that she could be anything she wanted to be...

i considered that, and knew that the only way for me to prove that true was to live it. so, for ten years after my divorce i never even dated. i focused on my daughter, my job, and my writing-- cuz, i knew, you couldn't have it all and i refused to put a man between me and my dream, my goal to make it. and while she was small i wrote every single day, 8pm-12am.

men don't understand that commitment. they need a lot of attention. and they're so fukking condescending-- "oh, that's a nice 'hobby' you have. can i come over tonight?" it's like, "no, i'm writing." they say, "oh, you were serious about that? c'mon, let's get together." and me: "yeah, i was serious and this isn't working for me. don't call me again."

so, Strangerthanfiction, i know what you're up against.

my daughter used to come to the top of the stairs every night at midnight and call down to me, "mama, it's time for bed." because it was just her and i and her bedroom was closest to the front door, and it gave me such anxiety that i couldn't sleep unless she was in my room with me. she grew up knowing what my priorities were. her, writing, work.

i've come close. i hope i will again. i've put in the work. still do, but that is NOT a guarantee that you will succeed. thousands of capable writers who can do the job never make it every year. the biggest lie, "if you're good you'll be found," doesn't come from a writer with experience. it comes from someone who isn't a writer.

besides, 'dream' infers a passion that's necessary to achieve it. a goal isn't the same to me. a goal is a means to an end. but a "dream" takes a special kind of commitment on a lot of levels to achieve.

it's just a word. it's our intention behind the word that gives it meaning. dream, goal? whichever you like.
                  Gotcha. Good post (Anytime someone posts something real and honest, I'ma like it!)

Dude... you super remind me of my fiancee's bestie. She's did the same thing, didn't date for 10 years. Kids and work first. I finally talked her into it last year. I was her dating coach "Here's what that means in guy language." A billion texts from her asking about guys. She met a good dude who I sign off on. Mission accomplished!

But, yeah, if a dude ain't supportive of your 'dream' BYE BRUH! That's just weird and selfish.

Way to show your daughter how to fukkin GO FOR IT! I hope your dream comes true! Good point, having it come true seems like a dream at this point.

ps... my lady is from a super small town. 4,000? Maybe? (Ha! Just looked it up... NO! 132 people. WTF!? There's towns that small?) And her family lives outside of that town 15 minutes. Yet, I'm from LA. What, 4 million people?

Comment

I wrote my first feature spec in 1992. Maybe this latest one I just started will be my golden ticket. (Sigh).

Comment

If Biden wins, he'll be in his 80s if he only serves 1 term!

So if you can do that job, you can surely make it as a writer at any age.

Comment

Originally posted by muckraker View Post
                        I wrote my first feature spec in 1992. Maybe this latest one I just started will be my golden ticket. (Sigh).
                        then here's to 2020, muckraker. cheers!

Comment

Working...
                        X