Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #21
LeadSolo
Regular

Default Re: J.J. Abrams

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9alt View Post
PM me your logline mctheory. I'll try to see if the concept is up Bad Robot's alley and maybe I'll slip your script to somebody there if I can.

The rest of you keep focusing on your douche-baggery and let me know how that works out for ya.

Happy New Year's!
Love this, Joe9alt. Well done.
LeadSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
adieu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctheory View Post
Does anyone have the contact for J.J Abrams, the Director of Star Trek?
The last couple of days I've been on DD quite a lot (my wife is away), and kept seeing this thread when I hit "New Posts".

I didn't want to hear about contacting the great man, so I didn't click on it. But it just kept getting longer and longer. What's going on?

Little did I know that there was enough material in here for a movie.

I think Joe will get the lead.
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #23
SuperScribe

Okay, I feel I have to step in here and say a couple of things.

First of all, Studios is good peeps. I know him outside of the context of the board and can vouch for him entirely. As for his One on One post being offensive to some for various reasons... Well, I'm in the worst financial shape of my life. I won't go into detail, except to say that I'm scared shitless right now. It's THAT bad.

And guess what? His post didn't offend me at all. (And I was the DDer part of it was directed at.) I knew where he was coming from. Hell, he's a bud -- he can vent about whatever he wants as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I agree with Joe about the topic in question. You gotta be bold. It took me years to finally see this, and my new found boldness is actually paying off, even if what I'm experiencing now are just baby steps. For most of my adult life, I've been a cowering mass of fear when it came to going after what I wanted, career-wise. It was ridiculous. I had the f cking talent, yet I was so afraid that any attempts to sell myself would come across as annoying or pathetic that I held back. I mean, I *really* held back. For over a f cking decade. I took the most passive approach imaginable to my career, waiting for opportunities to fall into my lap based on the good will of friends who were further along than I. Those opportunities were few and far between, however. And even the ones I took advantage of, I didn't *really* take advantage -- not the way I could have.

The worst part was the way I procrastinated. "Well, I should take six months to read everything I can about the craft, even if it is all stuff I've read before, just to go back to the basics. You can't go into this unprepared. So no writing for those six months, except writing exercises and short scripts, and DEFINITELY no marketing -- for at least the next year." This all stemmed from my putting myself in a place of submission, viewing myself as an underling to the gatekeepers. "I need to make myself worthy of their time. It's up to them to validate me as a writer, so I better not f ck it up." (One can read only so many articles about how "agents can sense fear and a lack of total commitment" before one just gives up the thought of interacting with the very people one needs to interact with.)

Hence, a decade after graduating from USC film school, I'm finally starting to get going. The thing is, I was there, writing-wise, at least seven years ago. (I got As and A-s in film school, but, meh -- I look at my work from that period, and I have to admit that it wasn't quite ready.) But I waited. And continued to hone my craft (going off track on more than one occasion because I was petrified of... well, everything). I was convinced for a while that every spec that sold was the next incarnation of The Godfather, Dr. Strangelove or The Exorcist. In my mind, my pitiful attempts weren't anywhere close to what they needed to be to justify querying or taking advantage of contacts who told me they'd pass my work along. Forget about cold calling.

Meanwhile, my peers were out there getting their work read, getting jobs in the industry, selling their stuff, MAKING MOVIES. A graduate student walked up to Steven Spielberg less than a minute after Spielberg had finished a speech at a fundraising dinner at USC and handed Spielberg his script. Just handed it to him, saying, "Read this. You won't be disappointed." And guess what? Spielberg read the script, loved it, and helped this bold young man get his career started.

At the time, I thought to myself, "Wow. Never in a million years would I do something like that. That's just... crazy." And my fears were solidified by articles telling me that tactics like that were nuts and likely to get me laughed right out of Hollywood -- that anything other than a subservient query letter begging the Powers That Be for entrance into their exclusive club was pushing it. I was scum. I was nothing.

And I believed it.

But now I'm starting to take my cue from people like former wunderkind Josh Scwhartz. I mean, why not? It's going to take that level of balls-on-the-table "f ck it!" to get anywhere. I understand that.

Finally.

No fear.

/faints from fear... but pulls himself back to his feet and pushes on despite it

Last edited by SuperScribe : 01-01-2010 at 02:39 PM.
SuperScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
joe9alt

If you take anything from this thread take the following...

1. Be Bold.
2. Don't be an *******.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #25
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9alt View Post
If you take anything from this thread take the following...

1. Be Bold.
2. Don't be an *******.
That's great advice for life in general.

I'm with Joe on item 2. It serves no purpose ridiculing other people.

Yeah -- it takes cojones to risk a cold contact of Abrams or Spielberg or anyone of that level. But you have to weigh it against "What do I have to lose if I fail?" I'd say - nothing. You risk losing nothing. Even if they reject you.

There was a great book called "Risking" years ago. If gave guidelines on how to analyze a calculated risk.
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #26
adieu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperScribe View Post
Okay, I feel I have to step in here and say a couple of things.
Now that's a fvcking good post. cheers, man.
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #27
joe9alt

Here's the thing...you can think trying to contact a cat like JJ Abrams is a massive waste of time or you can think actions like that are bold and necessary.

Whatever side of the fence you stand on...just be cool...be helpful if you can.

Don't be a douchebag.

It's as simple as that.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #28
Telly

Someone needs to kill this thread. Seriously.
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #29
joe9alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12916studios View Post
Did you not just read my above post? I changed my position on the matter. Don't call me a douchebag after I do that AND apologize for what I said...as well as compliment the OP for having the balls to do what I don't think I could. Seriously, man.
I was referring to whoever happened upon this thread in a general sense...not you specifically...don't flatter yourself...you're not that much on my radar.

Besides it doesn't matter that you switched positions. I respect both sides of the debate...what I'm railing against are screenwriters acting like *******s toward fellow screenwriters for no apparent reason other than ego gratification.

As far as killing the thread goes...why? When is censorship the answer? We need to be able to respectfully disagree, right?

Kum bay ya, my Lord, kum bay ya...
Old 01-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #30
mctheory
New User

Thanks guys.........
And have a happy New Year!!!!
mctheory is offline   Reply With Quote