Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
willis
New User

Default Question about Query letters

Hi

Just joined the forum, just finished my first script.

I noticed over at anyonewhosanyone that the policy of many production companies is to reject query letters outright. Is this a universal rule or are there some companies, say indies, who actually read these letters? If so, is there anywhere I can find a list of companies to send my letter to?

I'd also like to know if it's ok to just send the letter or if it's customary to call first and ask if the company is accepting submissions.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Erehwon

Default Re: Question about Query letters

You're gonna get a lot of different answers.

some of which would be, "Are you sure, dead sure that this script is finished? New writers tend to want to rush their work out there."

to:

There are a lot of online resources for you, such as yada yada yada...

Have you checked out the HCD? It's costly, but you will find inside tons of people who accept query letters. managers, agents, and production companies are all listed there.

If that's too expensive (and it's an expensive business), then I think absolutewrite has some resources for you, one of which is some sort of list of agents and managers which you get, if you sign up for their newsletter or something.

Putting your script on Inktip, and signing up for their weekly newsletter will get you people that are looking for scripts, and open to queries.

Depends on the genre, of course.

However, I just gotta say, make sure your work is top notch. Get feedback, proof, proof, PROOF that fvcker, and then proof it again. Write, rewrite that query.

Or, you might want to sit back, accept the fact that you finished a script (congrats on that, btw. Not everyone can finish one of these accursed things), and move on to the next one, focusing on the fact that this new one will be better, what with all that you learned writing the first one.

Whatever you do, don't rush. Rushing only brings you heartache in the form of constant "no's". You're gonna get them anyway, but when you're starting out, you're beginning from a deficit, so why make it worse, eh?

good luck.
Erehwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Cesahr
User

Congrats on finishing! Tada!! Okay, before sending anything out, you owe it to yourself and your project to give it the best chance possible. So, as mentioned above, I would invest in an HCD...you will used it SOOOO many times, both alone or in conjunction with another source. I am sooo glad I bought one. Start your research there or even online for films similar to yours and work from there on production companies, studios, etc. While you do this, work on your query, have some other writers read your work, join one of the other peer review sites if you havent already and read some other sp's. RESEARCH. A good way to avoid writing. Before you know it, your sp will be proofed, you will have made a few good changes from good suggestions, your query will ROCK and you will have a long list of companys to which you send all of your fine-tunes wares. Peice of cake! .......well, in theory. Good luck!
Cesahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
Jake Schuster

And don't forget to proofread your letter. You don't want to have any typos, now do you?
Jake Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
billythrilly7

I highly recommend this book.

http://www.writersstore.com/product....oducts_id=1101
billythrilly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:39 PM   #6
willis
New User

thanks alot for the replies. Appreciate it.
willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:05 PM   #7
billythrilly7

No problem. Good luck, Willis.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/...rokes-1978.wav
billythrilly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:17 PM   #8
Erehwon

Actually, the book mentioned by Billy is okay, but the HCD's versions are the best. I know the online version costs like $200 or so, but you can get a one week online sub for like $20. You can go in, and probably get all the info you need, and it's updated much more frequently than the HCD hard copy version.

I think you can even search by companies that show their emails.

I don't do snail mail queries anymore. Only email, and maybe a phone pitch attempt, but I'm bad on the phone.
Erehwon is offline   Reply With Quote