Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
socalwriter1
Regular

Default Re: Netflix plans 80 movies in 2018

I've been under the impression that based on one of the trillion screenwriting articles that I've read that it's fruitless trying to get a rep with a low-budget script aimed at places like Netflix, Hallmark, etc. because of the low prices they pay for scripts and therefore low commission to the rep. Is this not correct?
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:51 AM   #12
MAWriter
New User

@socalwriter1 ^^^^

I also had that impression. But low budget is accessible for beginners, isn't it? Connections do mean something but I know too many who spent lots of $$$$ on dozens of script services, services that are basically cons, online networks promising special connections etc... and they never get the proper advice. People string them along.

In another thread I posted a link to reviews of Stage32 where one user stated she/he realized the exec that was PAID, hadn't even read it. A Stage32 employee did. Those who do bother to read scripts don't really tell writers where exactly they're going wrong because they want them to come back. Or they get told in spurts. They get totally conflicting advice from these services and are confused.

Sorry to stray but my point is I agree with you - they tell writers low budget is only way to go, but that will probably not get them representation. I know writers can get agents after a few low budget scripts in a niche...like Lifetime etc. I advocate cold calling prod cos.

Studios' penchant for dismissing new writers is hurting them and still they won't change. Guess they won't run out of Marvel and DC superheroes.
MAWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #13
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwriter1 View Post
...because of the low prices they pay for scripts and therefore low commission to the rep. Is this not correct?
Not to mention low commission to the lawyer. My own attorney wants an hourly rate for those, and will only consider the 5% thing on deals that are going to get me a good hunk of sale cash AND some paid rewrites - and thus a better bit of moolah for him on such a commission.

This sounds kind of brutal, and not exactly what we're told to expect, but I look at it as an apron-string cutting that merely puts more responsibility on me to develop my own business. The same thing goes to doing my own marketing, with respect to agents/managers.

This is a good thing. When we treat what we do as a business, that means more than just "I count the money I make; therefore I am a business!"
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #14
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAWriter View Post
...I advocate cold calling prod cos...

Studios' penchant for dismissing new writers is hurting them and still they won't change. Guess they won't run out of Marvel and DC superheroes.
There are thousands of prodcos all looking for a great script that'll take them to the next step in the rung. However, that probably excludes your Marvel- or DC-level spec.

As for studios, dismissing new writers isn't a "penchant".

And unless by "new writers" one includes "recent Guild members", and by "beginners" one includes "union members in a tough stretch", those couple of hundred prodcos and the half dozen studios and mini-majors etc. that are Guild-signatory are off limits. And that means you stay away*. They're union-only as a result of hard-won contract negotiations by the Guild

Mind you, your relationship-laden rep, if you're lucky enough to have one, may be able to test the OWA waters with your Marvel-like spec. Then, with some success there in some lower-rung opportunities with the Studios, that may open the door to Guild membership. That's one way it can work.

No matter, as you say, ignoring the Studios still leaves thousands of prodcos that offer both the chance to develop relationships that will come in handy now and later on, and even some decent paid opportunities now and then. And maybe even some unpaid opportunities that "may" be worthwhile.

Just don't ignore the selling and marketing in your career plan. It's probably 25% or more of your day, once you have a few scripts under your belt.

* I guess except for those rare and wishy-washy opportunities to pitch-for-money to one of their junior clerical staff at some pitchfests, VPF, etc.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:04 AM   #15
Lahlowen
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why One View Post
I believe Max Landis got $7 million for BRIGHT.
Hm. I'm sure he'll blow through most of that on legal fees soon enough.
Lahlowen is offline   Reply With Quote