Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2019, 02:59 PM   #1
socalwriter1
Regular

Default Streaming Services - New Ops for MOW Projects

With all the streaming services ("Service") out there, there should be more opportunities for writers because they need more content, right?

But they seem to focus on serial projects while I'm focusing on MOW stories. Any insight/recommendation on which Service to target for the MOW type of project? And one shouldn't be pitching to the Service but rather to the production companies they use, right? Any ideas on how to identify those companies?

Thanks.
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: Streaming Services - New Ops for MOW Projects

If one does a search on our main site, they can see the various streaming services that are doing movies. Netflix really seems to lead the way. But most of if not pretty much all of the projects they are doing are from established writers and/or based on known IP and from established producers. And of course, everyone and their mother are trying to set up deals like this, especially with them. Amazon Prime and Hulu make TV movies as well, as do some others.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
socalwriter1
Regular

Will, not too encouraging but appreciate the insight.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
docgonzo

I've had several scripts go into Netflix, and regardless of whether or not they loved it, it was always the same response: they need a package to move the needle.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
finalact4

You may want to target the production companies that have development deals with Netflix and Amazon. Some of them are the same prodco for both networks-- i guess that's how they're classified.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
socalwriter1
Regular

finalact4 -- how do you identify them?

I follow the trades (Variety, deadline.com, The HR) but haven't seen any mentions about any development deals with the Services.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Most of the big development deals with & for Netflix are with big creators who create their own material: Ryan Murphy, Shonda Rhymes, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, Mtt Reeves, etc. As noted above essentially, Netflix has money and can focus on the "best of the best." People who have delivered time & time again.

Here is one list which was easy to dig up: https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/new...st-look-deals/

We also try our best to list on the main site if a company has a development, production, and/or overall with a studio, financier or network. One can search listings for just Netflix, see who the associated companies are with each deal, and then click through on each one from there to who might have a deal with the streamer. In either case, if a company is making something with them, they have a huge leap on any & everyone else for the most part. Much easier to walk something in the door vs. what "John Doe" could ever do. And not to push our site, but you can search for "Netflix" and "TV movie" to see more specifically those exact type deals and who the companies are, for example.

OR if our site isn't for you, you can research different TV movies (and shows even) set up at Netflix and see who the production companies are associated with them. And then target those. Always tough but getting someone who knows them to walk in your projects will always be best, of course.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 11-17-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwriter1 View Post
finalact4 -- how do you identify them?

I follow the trades (Variety, deadline.com, The HR) but haven't seen any mentions about any development deals with the Services.
So I use both DDP and IMDBpro. As members have stated previously, some information may no longer be accurate. i'm not sure if that effects the big companies, but you work with the cards you're dealt. but when you "google" the companies, you can gain some insight when people leave on their own. Daniel Vang is a good example -->Energy Entertainment-->Good Fear-->3Arts

DDP:
--> Monthly lookup of all deals. I look at managers, agents, networks, studios and prodcos on each to identify those of interest.

--> once i have an element of interest i look into both their TV and feature deals over time. so if it's Netflix, i look at all those prodcos.

--> then drill down into the deals they've had and identify producers and types of films (genre, budget, that kind of thing) if they fit, i add them to my contact list and work to obtain email contacts. Rocketreach is really good for this but you only get 9 FREE "asks" before you have to pay for it. i only use that for when i can't find anything.

--> i really use DDP to keep up on the deals. i like to know which managers are selling ****, you know?

IMDBPro:
--> Look up Netflix

--> drill into filmography, clients, companies, clients (specific to type eg managers/agents/prodcos), staff and affiliations

--> affiliations is the tab that gets you to production deals and who they work with (Netflix lists 17 affiliations

--> 1492 Chris Columbus company. i drill down to learn who is on staff and under "affiliations" under this company and if they have a production deal with anyone. in this case, 1492 has one production deal with only Netflix.

--> drilling down into Red Envelope Entertainment under affiliates we learn that they are a subsidiary of Netflix, and have production deals with "Warehouze" and Superlative Stimuli

--> then i'll look up their filmograghy and staff

--> once i have someone i want to contact i will also google search them to find out info under deadline or THR and then just a general look. you can learn that someone has left and started a new company on their own, that kind of thing.

As with all information, some people will list some kind of email contact, i list that on my contact spreadsheet and as soon as i have found one for a specific person, i add it to the list. that way i have the email structure.

You can also start with a show on Netflix or Amazon that you enjoyed. For example OZARK you learn that Zero Gravity Management and Media Rights Capital (both under ZGM) were the production companies, you can see all the companies that are credited as well, EG the company that provided their payroll or cranes (if you want to know, i don't)

the development deals, when they are publicized are in Deadline and THR. i can't tell you how many emails from both of these subscriptions i have to delete on a daily basis, it's enormous. but that's how you keep up. do i read them all, hell no. i only read what interests me.

be warned, you have to be disciplined to know when you have enough information and STOP because this can become a big opportunity to procrastinate.

good luck. it takes time, but getting the information helps you a great deal.
hope this helps.

FA4
Old 11-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
socalwriter1
Regular

Will and FA4 -- Mucho thanks for the info! I'll look into the two databases.

And FA4, "... this can become a big opportunity to procrastinate." Yep, how true.