Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Ben

Default Rejection letter from Producer etc. -- Best and Worst and Damn Insulting!!!

I just got a rejection letter from a producer. It was devastingly blunt.

It's this the norm?

Or do they explain why they rejected the script?

Maybe it's my bad luck.

What are your best and worst rejection letters?
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
nuvuefilms
Regular

Default Re: Rejection letter from Producer etc. -- Best and Worst and Damn Insulting!!!

i would say that's odd to be blasted in a rejection letter, the legit companies just say pass, and you really never find out why, unless you have an inside hook-up at the company, or if you have an agent or manager that can follow up, you may get some insight. IMO, best to move on after a pass, too many opportunities out there....
nuvuefilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
cyberian exile
User

Default Re: Rejection letter from Producer etc. -- Best and Worst and Damn Insulting!!!

Most people in Hollywood will not tell you the truth. If someone dislikes your script, you generally won't receive any response from them. It's refreshing if someone is actually willing to be honest and tell you what's wrong with the script.

It's possible this person was just being mean, but why would they waste their time doing so?

I would put your bruised feelings aside and take what this person is saying very seriously. There's no room for fragile egos in this business.

Maybe this producer's criticism was right on target, and maybe it was not. However, it's best to look at criticism as an opportunity to grow and improve as a writer. Proceed as if the critique was well-intended (even if you think it wasn't). You might even consider sending a brief and polite thank you for the critique, acknowledging that honest opinions and personalized responses are a rare commodity in Hollywood.
cyberian exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Mac H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
I just got a rejection letter from a producer. It was devastingly blunt.
That sounds like great news.

Armed with this honest feedback you'll now have the information you need to improve.

Good luck!

Mac
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
stuy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac H. View Post
That sounds like great news.

Armed with this honest feedback you'll now have the information you need to improve.

Good luck!

Mac
Mac is right. You need to know why your screen play sucks. A simple "pass" doesn't help you at all.
stuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
mtoomey

I would imagine most manager, agents, producers don't have the time to give a rejection letter. they mostly just say pass or don't even bother responding.
MT