Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
Deion22

Default Sicario

I'm going to see the film tomorrow. Loved the script. Has anyone else seen it yet? If so, drop your thoughts in here. I'll do the same tomorrow.
Deion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Grandmaster

Default Re: Sicario

I've been waiting for this one for a couple of months now, so will catch it when I get the chance.
Let us know if it's as good as the advert(/"trailer").
Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 AM   #3
wsaunders
Regular

Saw it tonight. Loved it. It lulls a bit towards the middle. It's been awhile since I saw the trailer, but I was under the impression this was a story about Emily Blunt's character having to fight her way out of Cartel gang territory with a prisoner sort of like SWAT or 16 Blocks, but I was way wrong, but pleasantly surprised.

I thought Benicio Del Toro's character was by far and way the most interesting. Reminds me a bit of Anton Sigur from No Country for Old Men. He's sort of beyond good and evil and is just a force of nature.
wsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
Deion22

Best movie I've seen this year so far. Benicio is gonna be nominated for an Oscar and probably should win in the supporting category. I loved the atmosphere, how it was shot, and the performances were top notch.

I wish we got a more in depth look at the drug cartels. That's my only minor critique.

I hear they are talking about a sequel where we will follow Benecio's character. That could be real interesting. A morally ambiguous hero that takes on the Mexican Cartels.
Deion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 AM   #5
Grandmaster

^Is that a spoiler?

I only clicked back here to see if people found the film good or not, and really didn't expect to see hints towards the ending.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
figment

CONTAINS SPOILER...

Whoa, what a great film. Killer cinematography (Roger Deakins), morally ambiguous characters that keep you guessing, a fresh-face or two to pull you in and make you care, you're not sure where you're going...

I hope Benicio gets an Oscar nom. The guy never shows off. Never says -- just kidding, it's only me, I'm really not this character! Please love me! He's so internal, you can't take your eyes off him.

Emily Blunt was very good, too. My only hesitation...

SPOILER BELOW ....

she just seemed so physically small compared to every other single man that I felt she should've known well before she figured it out that she was being used... because her size seemed a liability.
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
UnequalProductions

Wasn't a big fan. Seemed like a mediocre script with some incredible direction.

The extraction from Mexico was great. Wish that they had just made an entire movie about that.

Emily Blunt was a horrible main character. What did she do? Just get saved by men. It was really Benicio's movie, but they didn't want to admit it was just another "hitman out for revenge" story.
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #8
Celtic1
User

I liked it a lot. I didn't think the story was amazing but I really liked each character.

SPOILERS

I'd go see a movie with each one of these characters as the lead. Del Toro's and Blunt's...but also Brolin's character(from the moment they panned down to his flip flop).

I liked that it switched protagonists and I was never sure where it would end up. I've seen so many lousy movies lately that i was expecting greatness and got a lot of good in this one but really loved the characters.

Sicario 2...I'm in. Curious to see if they make her more of a wolf or focus more on him. I could watch him change a tire and find it interesting. He's just got something great.
Celtic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
Juno Styles

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnequalProductions View Post
Wasn't a big fan. Seemed like a mediocre script with some incredible direction.

The extraction from Mexico was great. Wish that they had just made an entire movie about that.

Emily Blunt was a horrible main character. What did she do? Just get saved by men. It was really Benicio's movie, but they didn't want to admit it was just another "hitman out for revenge" story.
I agree. And Emily Blunt's character was moreso in the way rather than any type of interesting protagonist.

They should've just told the entire film from Benicio's POV but I guess their plan was to use Emily's POV in order to market the film.

Loved the soundtrack and Benecio, everything else was average.

The Fiction Story Room
Juno Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
ExtHollywoodDay
Regular

Spoilers:

I thought the good parts were pretty good- Mr. Sicario has a solid motive, and there's tension in how low he'll sink...

But overall I felt like the movie was off balance. The apparent lead character really did take a back seat for a lot of the story. Sort of like half of a TRAINING DAY with a US Cop who gets drafted into the drug war.

Then somehow she didn't want to be there enough that there's impact in the reveal that she's basically only included as an excuse for the CIA to act locally.

Her failure to heed the warning to not let herself get caught on camera, and the aftermath, are pretty painful missteps. Then again, the Sandals guy didn't exactly fully articulate his warning.

The final moment with the cop and the hitman seemed a little forced.

Also, that part of the movie and some of the others were distracting in looking like they could have been filmed for $40.

Still- a somewhat challenging movie and worth a see.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901
ExtHollywoodDay is offline   Reply With Quote