Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Manchester

Default Prodco wants 'scripts in vein of American Pie or Neighbors', but wants PG-13

Every week I get the Inktip mailing, and maybe in the past 12 months one listing came almost kinda close. This week, there's this:
We are looking for completed, feature-length, edgy comedy
scripts with the sort of stories that might garner a PG-13 rating,
i.e. scripts in the vein of "American Pie" or "Neighbors."
As it happens, a script I've written might meet those requirements. But, both of those examples are R-rated. And so I'm wondering if it's a bit odd that a producer says PG-13 and "in the vein of", and yet doesn't/can't offer even one example that was PG-13? IOW, I'm wondering if the producer might not know what s/he actually wants. Or am I misjudging this?
Manchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
Richmond Weems

Default Re: prodco wants 'scripts in vein of American Pie or Neighbors', but wants PG-13

Just remove the f-bombs and send it.
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
BurOak

Default Re: prodco wants 'scripts in vein of American Pie or Neighbors', but wants PG-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond Weems View Post

Concur. And any incidental nudity.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Manchester

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond Weems View Post
Oddly, the script I have for this is already PG-13. And they want an edgy comedy centered on teens or college kids, and my script has that. They say the budget is $10-20M; mine could fit that. But mine doesn't take place in a suburban neighborhood, so mine seems a bit of a long-shot from that perspective.

And so, I was trying to figure things out because it's not just a matter of contacting the producer. It's a matter of paying Inktip $60 just to find out some facts about the producer and then being able/allowed to make contact. And while that $60 would be for a 4-month "subscription" with Inktip, based on my experience with the Inktip newsletter, it's really $60 to send just this one query. I'm not against that necessarily, but I'm trying to get a better sense of the odds, if that's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurOak View Post
Concur. And any incidental nudity.
Oh, so I can leave in the gratuitous nudity?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Cooper
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Oddly, the script I have for this is already PG-13. And they want an edgy comedy centered on teens or college kids, and my script has that. They say the budget is $10-20M; mine could fit that. But mine doesn't take place in a suburban neighborhood, so mine seems a bit of a long-shot from that perspective.

And so, I was trying to figure things out because it's not just a matter of contacting the producer. It's a matter of paying Inktip $60 just to find out some facts about the producer and then being able/allowed to make contact. And while that $60 would be for a 4-month "subscription" with Inktip, based on my experience with the Inktip newsletter, it's really $60 to send just this one query. I'm not against that necessarily, but I'm trying to get a better sense of the odds, if that's possible.
I'm a subscriber for the newsletter and I took a look at the listing; nowhere does it say that it must take place in a suburban neighborhood. Where did you read that?

The production company is anonymous even in the preferred newsletter, so it's hard to tell if it's worthwhile getting a subscription.

Actually, lots of companies are looking for what you have... I would think you'd have good luck with a targeted query.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
I'm a subscriber for the newsletter and I took a look at the listing; nowhere does it say that it must take place in a suburban neighborhood. Where did you read that?

The production company is anonymous even in the preferred newsletter, so it's hard to tell if it's worthwhile getting a subscription.

Actually, lots of companies are looking for what you have... I would think you'd have good luck with a targeted query.
Thanks for looking that up. I greatly appreciate that info.

I mentioned "suburban neighborhood" because both American Pie and Neighbors are set there, so I figured they were looking for a one-suburb/town setting, while my script has various locations (varied, a bit like the variety in the 2nd Harold & Kumar Guantanamo movie). The categories mine fits: Edgy, PG-13, college kids, and that budget range (I think).
Old 07-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Bono

Default Re: Prodco wants 'scripts in vein of American Pie or Neighbors', but wants PG-13

It's probably a long shot -- so I'd say send your R rated comedy and let them make it PG-13 in a rewrite if they like it. Why waste your time now doing that when the ratings system is so hard to figure out? I feel most comedy scripts that are PG-13 did not start that way.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote