Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
shortfilmwriter
User

Default Warner Brothers Script Processing suggestions?

So I'm browsing jobs the other night and viola! A job so outstandingly perfect comes up and I immediately start my cover letter and getting things together. Come to find out though, I have a very limited time frame to get it in. Which works fine, I do not mind deadlines, I am just saying that in my advanced apology for the fact that this thread will be old news by tomorrow morning.

If you happen to see this before hand, any quick tips? This is truly the best job posting I've seen since I graduated college (not too long ago) and I'm giving it my all to be as flawless as possible and really trying to stand out. However, I cannot think of any real way to do so! I think I have great credentials for it. That's not the issue. I used to be told that when applying for positions, it can be good to follow up, but I have found when doing that, most employers do not think one way or another if you call and say "anything else I could send in?"

What are the chances that posting the job is just a formality and they already have someone in mind they want to go with?

Any advice or tips regarding applying for this despite the limited amount of time any such advice can be give would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by shortfilmwriter : 10-12-2014 at 10:04 PM.
shortfilmwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Warner Brothers Script Processing suggestions?

have you done any script supervising/coordinating before? looking at the qualifications, i can imagine that there is a deep pool in LA of applicants who have substantial experience working on shows and in features with the kind of script processing described in the posting. not to say that it's a pro forma announcement but that there could be a lot of people who are (over)qualified applying
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
shortfilmwriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
have you done any script supervising/coordinating before?
I have not. Is that something that would appeal to them for this position? supervising seems like a function too different from what this is. I do not have formal editing experience in print or anything like that but I imagine that is more along the lines of what would get someone to the front of the line for an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
but that there could be a lot of people who are (over)qualified applying
I fully believe it. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much for that reason, but at the same time, it was posted on the 8th and expires tomorrow. Perhaps people would not have noticed?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
shortfilmwriter
User

Weird… the second link was just taken down.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
asteven50
Regular

Unfortunately there's really no advice for job postings like this. They tend to be cattle calls - Submit your resume and if they call you, chances are the first interview will be you and about 50 other people. Answer yes to everything, even if the answer is no, and maybe they'll call you again. Best of Luck!
Old 10-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
odocoileus

I agree with JoeBanks that they would probably hire an experienced script coordinator or writers assistant, since these folks would be experts in formatting software, revisions, Final Draft, and fast typing.

A script coordinator who has experience on multiple WB shows and can get upper level people to make calls on her behalf would probably have the inside track.

Script supervising experience wouldn't be a job requirement, since script supervisors don't process scripts, they work on set to keep detailed track of (that is, supervise, in a very limited sense) every shot and everything that happens in the shot.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
docgonzo

I'd say if you have any proofreading, editing, and/or data entry experience, you should highlight that. Make sure to put the latest version of Final Draft in the software skills section of you resume, and also note it in your cover letter.
docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
shortfilmwriter
User

I know this thread is getting old, but that is part of my reasoning for resurrecting it. I am certainly not waiting on pins and needles for a call, but since the link still works, what are the chances the position is still available? Could someone just have forgotten to take it down?
Old 11-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
docgonzo

I've submitted plenty of resumes to WB and typically the ad stays up for months, even if they've filled it. Most career sites allow you to check the status of the job you applied for, so look into that if you want. Otherwise, it's best to just not worry about it and get on with life.
docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
canela
User

Certainly get on with your life. Warner Bros Human Resources people are pretty busy right now.

From Variety:

"Layoffs at Warner Bros. will begin Tuesday, according to individuals with knowledge of the cutbacks. The film and television studio will cut approximately 1,000 jobs globally as part of a company-wide belt-tightening. The layoffs amount to more than 10% of the studio’s roughly 8,000-person workforce."

Good luck to those affected.
canela is offline   Reply With Quote