Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
ricther
Regular

Default Short Films

Does anyone know of any production companies that produce short films? I have a short that I really want to get made. But before I venture out and try to make it on my own, I wanted to try to reach out to some producers first.
ricther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:23 AM   #2
Klazart
Regular

Default Re: Short Films

The problem with getting your short made by someone else is that in shorts more than anywhere else the director gets all the credit. Even if the short wins awards it's unlikely to open any doors for a writer. If you trust the director and have a good relationship with him and you can work on stuff together going forward, then that's different.
Klazart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #3
ricther
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazart View Post
The problem with getting your short made by someone else is that in shorts more than anywhere else the director gets all the credit. Even if the short wins awards it's unlikely to open any doors for a writer. If you trust the director and have a good relationship with him and you can work on stuff together going forward, then that's different.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Margie Kaptanoglu
Regular

One thing you can try is to post your short logline on Inktip.com (http://inktip.com/sa_short_script_listing.php). I have had 3 shorts produced by 3 different filmmakers, and a 4th (by yet another filmmaker) is currently in production. Two of these producers found my scripts on Inktip

You can also enter your shorts into contests to get credits, cash (usually not too much), and sometimes to get the short produced. The prize in Slamdance, HollyShorts, and Extreme Screenwriting is the production of your short. Although you won't get paid for your writing, you won't have to pay to get your short produced either.

It's true the director gets more recognition, but it's still helpful when you query to be able to say you have produced shorts to your credit. That has definitely helped me to get some reads for my features. Also, it is very motivating to get a film made from your work, and you can follow it to festivals and make connections there.

The best thing that's come of my shorts being made is the connection I've made with the directors. One of them with whom I have a particularly good working relationship ended up hiring me to adapt a novel he optioned. He and his business partner have been fantastic to work with, and I think this script has the best chance of getting made of all the feature scripts I've written.

So I encourage you to seek out producers for your script if it's not something you want to do yourself. A lot of good can come out of it for you too.

Good luck!

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com
Margie Kaptanoglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
ricther
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
One thing you can try is to post your short logline on Inktip.com (http://inktip.com/sa_short_script_listing.php). I have had 3 shorts produced by 3 different filmmakers, and a 4th (by yet another filmmaker) is currently in production. Two of these producers found my scripts on Inktip

You can also enter your shorts into contests to get credits, cash (usually not too much), and sometimes to get the short produced. The prize in Slamdance, HollyShorts, and Extreme Screenwriting is the production of your short. Although you won't get paid for your writing, you won't have to pay to get your short produced either.

It's true the director gets more recognition, but it's still helpful when you query to be able to say you have produced shorts to your credit. That has definitely helped me to get some reads for my features. Also, it is very motivating to get a film made from your work, and you can follow it to festivals and make connections there.

The best thing that's come of my shorts being made is the connection I've made with the directors. One of them with whom I have a particularly good working relationship ended up hiring me to adapt a novel he optioned. He and his business partner have been fantastic to work with, and I think this script has the best chance of getting made of all the feature scripts I've written.

So I encourage you to seek out producers for your script if it's not something you want to do yourself. A lot of good can come out of it for you too.

Good luck!
Extremely helpful info. Thanks!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
bmcthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post

This has been my experience as well.

I've talked to lots of people who think shorts are a complete waste of time for writers and depending on your goals as a writer, they may very well be.

My primary goal has always been to have my work seen by an audience and writing shorts has allowed that to happen. I may never sell a screenplay, but I will always have the memory of sitting in a crowded theater, watching the audience enjoying something that never existed until I created it. That is an awesome feeling and to me, it is success.
bmcthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
BurOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcthomas View Post
This has been my experience as well.

I've talked to lots of people who think shorts are a complete waste of time for writers
Concur.
BurOak is offline   Reply With Quote