Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #41
AnyOtherName
Regular

Default Re: Spiteful Gersh Agents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Studios only have so much they want to spend on developing a project. If a huge part of that pie is going to the agents in the form of a packaging fee, then they'll just tighten their belts on artists. They will still cater to the A listers, but they might just take less chance on new voices, original content, or want more steps with less money. Even the medium writers probably would face a similar squeeze. A little bit of sharing will probably just go to the very top writers. It seems like the entry level and medium tier writers will just continue to scrape by. A situation like the spec boom of the 90s favor new writers and medium writers because there were more gambles taken on original content.

It's too bad that SAG is sitting on the sidelines because if SAG joins the WGA, that really can't be ignored. The packaging hurts actors too, especially those that are not the A listers. They are at the mercy of whatever the agencies deems they want to be in that package....like chess pieces due to politics. Like a manager pointed out, it probably won't affect the agencies if it's only a few months, but if this thing drags on a year, maybe it will really start to affect their plans.
I think there's a widespread misunderstanding (partly created by the WGA leadership) about the true importance of packaging fees. The biggest problem with them isn't that the packaging money doesn't go to writers; the biggest problem is that packaging money DOES go to agencies.

The big agencies (especially the biggest two) make most of their money these days from revenue streams that have little direct relation to client representation. WME makes less than 10% of its revenue from commissions! Less than 10%! They rep Keanu Reeves and Quentin Tarantino and Christopher Nolan and the Rock and George R.R. Martin and Steven freakin' Spielberg, and yet, ALL OF THAT COMMISSION MONEY PUT TOGETHER ACCOUNTS FOR LESS THAN TEN PERCENT OF THE AGENCY'S REVENUE.

When that's the case, how much do you think WME cares about some mid-level writer client's quote? They could lose all of their mid-level writers and barely notice. Hopefully, writers' individual agents care, but honestly, so what? The whole point of being repped at a big agency is that they can bring institutional pressure to bear to get your movie made, to get you a job, to raise your quote, etc.-- and that won't happen if the agency doesn't know or particularly care what's going on with you.

There's a widespread (not unanimous) feeling within the Guild that agencies, as institutions, have given up putting their weight behind fighting for writer clients. Fighting for writers just isn't as lucrative for agencies as cozying up to studios and/or becoming de facto studios themselves.

So we need to tell them they can't become studios, and we need to tell them that they can't take money directly from our employers-- not 100% of packaging fees or 80% or 50% or 10%. Whether that packaging fee money ever comes to back to writers isn't the point.

At the end of the day, writers don't need packaging fees. What writers need are agents. And making agents agent again is what this is all about.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #42
EvilRbt

Slightly off-topic, but I fired Gersh last year. There were several reasons but the final straw was when they sent me THE PREDATOR long before the movie came out and told me it was an example of a great sci-fi script.

Uh, no it's not.

NOTES / COVERAGE
10,000+ Screenplays
DD Thread Facebook
screenplaymechanic@gmail.com
EvilRbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #43
Lahlowen
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRbt View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I fired Gersh last year. There were several reasons but the final straw was when they sent me THE PREDATOR long before the movie came out and told me it was an example of a great sci-fi script.

Uh, no it's not.
Oh my.
Lahlowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #44
Bono

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRbt View Post

Uh, no it's not.
That's the best reason I ever heard to fire an agent. And I one of my all time favorites is the original...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #45
StoryWriter

From Deadline:

Quote:
2ND UPDATE: Queen of the South writer-producer Jorge Reyes said Wednesday that his former Gersh agents have apologized for canceling a planned network meeting, and that he’s accepted their apology and is moving on.

He also is deleting his angry Twitter thread that surfaced yesterday about the subject because “it’s served its purpose and the situation is resolved.”

“So the Gersh guys called me, copped to everything & apologized unreservedly,” Reyes tweeted late last night. “People can react emotionally, out of character, and with bad judgement, and agents are no different. My previous experience up to this incident was good, and their apology was sincere, so I’ve accepted it and for me, this is done and I’m moving forward to some positive **** now.”

Thanking “everyone for backing me up,” he told his Twitter supporters that “the resolution came as a direct result of your reactions and your support on here, and I thank you. I defended myself in public both to warn my writer brethren, and to protect myself. I pushed back hard just like my papa taught me. I’ll be deleting the thread as it’s served its purpose and the situation is resolved. Overwhelmingly grateful to all the writers on here. Hopefully your voices will prevent this from happening to one of us again. Never been more proud to be one of you.”
Old 05-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #46
finalact4

today's update as of 1:05 pm. ATA still pissed off that Verve signed and are trying to spin it, but the truth is, they're mad that Verve signed. that's what i get out of it. all they want to do is be able to NOT be transparent.

what do you think?

https://deadline.com/2019/05/ata-att...rs-1202620698/

My opinions are just that-- opinions.
https://www.lisamolusis.com/project-02
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:52 AM   #47
Lahlowen
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
today's update as of 1:05 pm. ATA still pissed off that Verve signed and are trying to spin it, but the truth is, they're mad that Verve signed. that's what i get out of it. all they want to do is be able to NOT be transparent.

what do you think?

This reaction was just further embarrassment for them. It was a chance to calmly say they respect an agency’s right to choose but disagree with their choice, yada yada. Instead, yet again, they pitch a fit and resort to lies and fear-mongering. Next probably comes the bullying and threats against Verve, if they haven’t already (behind the scenes).

Last edited by Lahlowen : 05-28-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Lahlowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #48
JoeBanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post

what do you think?

i think:

1. all the anecdotal evidence i've seen on screenwriting twitter is that Verve's phones have been ringing steadily in the past few weeks with calls from potential new clients

2. in about 90 days, however many new clients Verve does end up signing will start sending out new pilots to the studios and networks for development, many of which will likely be picked up

3. the ATA agents who have been fired by their clients will not be sending out many new pilots (if at all) during the same time. those agents (imo) will be thinking long and hard about how long they and their ATA agency can afford to wait out the WGA if this pattern is going to persist beyond the upcoming pilot season

4. the fact that Endeavor filed paperwork for its IPO the day after the WGA agreed to reopen negotiations with the ATA tells you everything you need to know about the good faith in which the agencies are conducting their side of the bargaining. if WME had a claim before about packaging fees and production arms not being conflicts of interests that even passed the giggle test, imposing a newer, higher fiduciary duty of their officers and directors to Wall Street shareholders pretty much throws that argument out the window.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #49
GucciGhostXXX

Super late to the party...

What went on with Gersh was BS. Agreed.

Also, check out this similar story. I should out my ex for being a biznatch. F' that chick!: But... I thought we were friends at the time, after a divorce. I was repped by the same shop she was at, though she didn't rep me, someone else there did. She specifically asked me to not leave this shop, asked me to give one of her colleagues a shot. Which I did. This was TV season last year. I got 3 shows saying "Love his work, we're keeping him on the list moving forward." I'm stoked, right? This is late in the season. Time is critical. My ex emails me that she demanded her partner drop me, all my meetings are canceled. WTF!? "We need to distance ourselves. Etc" Bullsh!t you're tying to fukkin ruin me, don't pretend I don't know how sleazy agents are. I had several meetings set for several shows. She canceled every one of them. I couldn't agent/manager up in time to reschedule the meetings. My entire season fukked off. May have cost me a show.

I think in these scenarios you gotta let the writer contact you direct if someone's trying to ruin them. It's not like the agent/manager is in the room with you anyway, nor are they writing the goddamn show, so who cares if the writer emails you direct? It's not THEIR friggin meeting to cancel.
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #50
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
i think:

1. all the anecdotal evidence i've seen on screenwriting twitter is that Verve's phones have been ringing steadily in the past few weeks with calls from potential new clients

2. in about 90 days, however many new clients Verve does end up signing will start sending out new pilots to the studios and networks for development, many of which will likely be picked up

3. the ATA agents who have been fired by their clients will not be sending out many new pilots (if at all) during the same time. those agents (imo) will be thinking long and hard about how long they and their ATA agency can afford to wait out the WGA if this pattern is going to persist beyond the upcoming pilot season

4. the fact that Endeavor filed paperwork for its IPO the day after the WGA agreed to reopen negotiations with the ATA tells you everything you need to know about the good faith in which the agencies are conducting their side of the bargaining. if WME had a claim before about packaging fees and production arms not being conflicts of interests that even passed the giggle test, imposing a newer, higher fiduciary duty of their officers and directors to Wall Street shareholders pretty much throws that argument out the window.

TRUTH!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote