No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidejobs for a freelance writer

Not sure where to post this.

As a freelance writer, what paid writing jobs can one do on the side? We're talking pocket money jobs.

I’m not too keen on the craiglist opportunities. I remember years ago I signed up to a 50p per article thing. I dunno - there’s gotta be something to use these skills with?

What side-jobs do people do on the side to fund their screenwriting passion?

Re: Sidejobs for a freelance writer

In the past I wrote film reviews; ran an entertainment channel for the now-defunct About.com where I wrote lists, reviews, biographies; also wrote extended entertainment-related bios as a full-time job; was a copy editor for Netflix, wrote articles for Creative Screenwriting (when it was in print), and was a news editor for a non-entertainment site.

Not sure what the market is like now, but it was tough just a few years ago. It's probably worse now and likely won't get any better. Your best bet is finding a full-time gig and setting a writing schedule around that (if you're a morning person, get up before the ass-crack of dawn; if you're a night owl, do it after work.)

But if you want to get legit freelance gigs, you have to hustle like anything else. Have some stellar clips ready to go and start hitting up editors on your favorite sites/pubs. Have ideas ready to go that would be a fit for that pub and pitch them. Other than that, you can try Indeed or LinkedIn for gigs, though they're few and far between on those sites.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Docgonzo. Yeah I kinda figured. Hmm - I'll think of something.

Cheers.

Comment

Before I could afford to write full-time, I used to do a bit of freelance copywriting for video games (through ad agencies). Even worked at one for two months. Great perks. Free lunch, stocked kitchen. It's where my collection of coffee mugs came from.

Comment

Hey guys. Not sure if this thread is dead. I was thinking maybe this place - peopleperhour.com? Does any one have any experience with this one?

Comment

Take a look at something like www.UpWork.com. That might be worth at least a look. If not for you or to your like then move on, of course.
            Will
            Done Deal Pro
            www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Hey Donedeal. Thanks - I'll give that a look.

Comment

Jumping back into this. I've done UpWork and one or two of those other freelance sites (not the one OP posted). Like anything, you have to be careful not to get trapped in a job that pays garbage or one where you're working your tail off for diminishing returns. Also, those sites have people from across the world bidding on projects and you'll lose out on jobs because they'll always be able to underbid you.

Another thing to look out for are content mills. Those are sites that pay low upfront rates with the promise of getting more money for more clicks. Or they simply pay $10 for 300 words. Avoid them like the plague.

Comment

Working...
                X