Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Edward
New User

Smile Seeking Your Opinions!

Hi everyone,

This is my first post/thread so please bear with me! Thank you in advance!

I sent a query letter to a production company on Thursday, June 5th. An Executive Assistant contacted me a few hours later requesting the script and provided me with a submission release form. I signed it and sent it back to her along with my script. She thanked me and said that they would follow-up with me if they wanted to discuss my script further.

On Monday, June 9th, the President of Production (and pretty much the co-owner of the company) contacted me asking if the chain of title was clean. I replied saying that it was. He then asked how difficult it would be to set the script in a certain foreign country where they do most, if not all, of their shooting and also asked whether the script was on InkTip. I replied once again, saying that it would not be difficult to change the location at all and that my script was not on InkTip. He then thanked me for replying so quickly, said that he would discuss with his partners and finish the coverage. (These emails were all sent within an hour.)

We haven't been in contact since.

So, here are my questions:

1) Would the Executive Assistant have had to read my script first? Or did she just pass it on up to the President of Production right away?
2) Do you think the President of Production had already read some/all of my script when he contacted me?
3) Why did he ask me if my script was on InkTip? What difference does it make?
4) Should I follow-up? If so, when?

I realize that some of these questions can't be answered with 100% certainty, but I'm just curious as to what you guys think!

I feel I had something else to ask, but I can't quite remember what it was.

Sorry if I'm asking unimportant questions... I'm just excited/nervous about this whole process!

Thanks again!
Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Juno Styles

Default Re: Seeking Your Opinions!

Sounds they're trying to get a feel for how many people have read the script or how much exposure it has had so far.

The Fiction Story Room
Juno Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
UnequalProductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
1) Would the Executive Assistant have had to read my script first? Or did she just pass it on up to the President of Production right away?
2) Do you think the President of Production had already read some/all of my script when he contacted me?
3) Why did he ask me if my script was on InkTip? What difference does it make?
4) Should I follow-up? If so, when?
1) Either the Executive Assistant or one of the other assistants in the office.
2) I don't think so. If they're still "waiting on coverage," then I doubt he's read it himself. The Executive Assistant or whoever read it probably gave him the elevator pitch.
3) Totally agree with Juno. He's getting a feel for how exposed the script is.
4) Give it another couple weeks. Maybe right after the 4th. I know you're on the edge of your seat, but Production Companies tend to drag their feet.
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
Edward
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno Styles View Post
Sounds they're trying to get a feel for how many people have read the script or how much exposure it has had so far.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Edward
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnequalProductions View Post
1) Either the Executive Assistant or one of the other assistants in the office.
2) I don't think so. If they're still "waiting on coverage," then I doubt he's read it himself. The Executive Assistant or whoever read it probably gave him the elevator pitch.
3) Totally agree with Juno. He's getting a feel for how exposed the script is.
4) Give it another couple weeks. Maybe right after the 4th. I know you're on the edge of your seat, but Production Companies tend to drag their feet.
Thanks for the insight and advice! Much appreciated!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Edward
New User

Just wanted to post an update.

I went ahead and sent a short email today just to check in and inquire about my script. The President of Production replied in about 30 minutes and sent me what his Creative Executive had said about my script. There were good things such as the concept and premise, but there were also some areas in which the script needed work. He ended the email by asking me for my thoughts.

I replied by saying that I could understand the points that the Creative Executive had made. I also said that if he felt there was enough interest in the script, so long as those changes were made, that I'd be willing to do a rewrite to see what he thinks.

He hasn't replied yet.

1. Was that a proper response on my part?
2. Is there still hope, or was that a nice way of saying "Pass"?

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:14 PM   #7
Juno Styles

There's no rules to this stuff. If he doesn't reply in a reasonable amount of time then it's a pass. He ended his response with a question and you replied in kind. If he replies back saying it's cool then they're interested enough to see what you come up with. You'll either hit closer to the mark or miss altogether. Either way you don't have anything to lose unless you're doing a page one rewrite in which that case you're losing your time....but if you feel it's worth it then go for it. Good luck.

The Fiction Story Room
Juno Styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #8
emily blake

Nothing really abnormal about this, but just be cautious. It costs them nothing to ask you to do rewrite after rewrite, but it costs you a LOT of time. If you think the changes are good and can improve your script, do them, but don't do it just for this producer. And I personally don't think you should do more than one rewrite for free like this should you decide to do it. If they don't like the next draft, cut your losses and move on.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
Edward
New User

First of all, thank you Juno and Emily for your responses. I appreciate it!

The Producer replied today saying that they are definitely interested in the script, but of course can not commit to anything without knowing how the rewrite is going to turn out. He also said that, should I decide to make changes, they would love to re-read it and that I can send it directly to him.

I think it's worth it to give the rewrite a shot, but I'll take your advice and try not to get stuck doing more than one.

Thanks everyone for looking out!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #10
LIMAMA

The bottom line is, if they were REALLY excited about your script, they would option and then have you rewrite it per their notes.