Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
mrdennissir
New User

Default Read by major producer due to personal connection - how to proceed?

I got two scripts read by a well-known producer due to a personal connection I had. There was a meeting and I was told to also make a power point pitch with my asking price and financial estimates in it, along with sending the scripts. I am not WGA or repped, have never sold anything, and the genres this company produces are not my genres. The are not aware of you guys, they had never heard of PAGE, etc. The coverage came back within two weeks and was very ample and positive but not in the regular industry form. However, it doesn't appear they will buy the material and getting back in touch has been difficult. They are working on a major release currently, the delays may be practical.

I have been told by others that for my material I should seek attachments, and big attachments, not B-listers. Also, I have identified some other producers that do my genres and take queries. I will be sending out some queries after my next polish. Should I shell out for IMDBpro and go after some talent? My material has limited "official" resume points like contest placements, etc. and I was thinking of doing some of the majors in the new year. Could I ask the producer I am working with to forward my material?
mrdennissir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Ronaldinho

Default Re: Read by major producer due to personal connection - how to proceed?

I admit I am totally baffled. Something doesn't make sense here.

"Well-known" producers don't expect writers to to financial estimates.

"Well-known" producers rarely share coverage with the writer.

"Well-known" producers tell you how much they're willing to pay, for the most part.

"Well-known" producers don't expect the writer to figure out the attachments.

"Well-known" producers are rarely hard to get in touch with when you have something that they want. (Although this one is less true. I once had a person tell me they wanted a project, then disappear for four months, then show back up with an offer).

Something smells fishy.
Ronaldinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
ProfessorChomp
Regular

A power point presentation with asking price and financial estimates? I've never been asked for anything like that before. A pitch is a pitch, and money comes later - it's never discussed in a pitch meeting, at least not in my experience. I'm curious about that - did you actually go back in and do that power point presentation, or did you just send the scripts and get that coverage you mentioned? You said that the producer read you, but then in the meeting he asked you to send the scripts and put together a presentation, so that was a little confusing.

I don't think that producer is going to help you get talent attachments if he's already passed (unless I interpreted that part wrong). That's what passing means, unfortunately. It sounds like that producer's door is closed now (for these projects, at least), but hopefully you made a good enough impression that he'll want to read your future ones. In the meantime, keep hitting other producers, keep writing and keep networking. Good luck, everybody here is pulling for you!
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
slupo

Who is telling you to try and get people attached?

You should get IMDB Pro for querying reps but not for reaching out to a-list talent.

No A-List agent is going to read an email from an unknown pitching a script. On the off chance he did read it, he's not going to consider telling his client about it unless there's financing in place or perhaps some hotshot director attached.

No, don't ask the producer to forward your material. Why would he do that if he wasn't interested in your script which, from your post, it sounds like he isn't? He's done with it. That's why you're not getting your calls returned.

BTW The powerpoint thing is bizarre.

Anyway, it sounds like you wrote a script, got it read by a producer who passed. Now you just go the familiar route of queries to reps and maybe some contests.
slupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdennissir View Post
I got two scripts read by a well-known producer due to a personal connection I had. There was a meeting and I was told to also make a power point pitch with my asking price and financial estimates in it, along with sending the scripts. I am not WGA or repped, have never sold anything, and the genres this company produces are not my genres. The are not aware of you guys, they had never heard of PAGE, etc. The coverage came back within two weeks and was very ample and positive but not in the regular industry form. However, it doesn't appear they will buy the material and getting back in touch has been difficult. They are working on a major release currently, the delays may be practical.

I have been told by others that for my material I should seek attachments, and big attachments, not B-listers. Also, I have identified some other producers that do my genres and take queries. I will be sending out some queries after my next polish. Should I shell out for IMDBpro and go after some talent? My material has limited "official" resume points like contest placements, etc. and I was thinking of doing some of the majors in the new year. Could I ask the producer I am working with to forward my material?
It's all weird, move on.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho View Post
I admit I am totally baffled. Something doesn't make sense here.

"Well-known" producers don't expect writers to to financial estimates.

"Well-known" producers rarely share coverage with the writer.

"Well-known" producers tell you how much they're willing to pay, for the most part.

"Well-known" producers don't expect the writer to figure out the attachments.

"Well-known" producers are rarely hard to get in touch with when you have something that they want. (Although this one is less true. I once had a person tell me they wanted a project, then disappear for four months, then show back up with an offer).

Something smells fishy.
Thanks for summing up my thoughts. I read the original and thought the same things....
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:58 AM   #7
wcmartell

Default Re: Read by major producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdennissir View Post
I have been told by others that for my material I should seek attachments, and big attachments, not B-listers.
Um, this whole post makes no sense.

Everything Ronaldinho said in his reply.

Producers attach actors, not screenwriters... and a major producer knows that. Heck, someone who produces schlocky B movies knows that. Probably a Barista at Starbucks in this town knows that. So there's a bit of a credibility issue here.

It's so much easier to help people when they don't try to BS you.

Bill
Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

In all fairness to what was asked and is being discussed, the poster said...

Quote:
I have been told by others that for my material I should seek attachments, and big attachments, not B-listers.
The keyword being others. The producer didn't tell him this, from what I'm reading. It sounds like the producer basically did what a "normal" producer might do. If they don't make the type of films mrdennissir wrote, then yeah, they are moving on and wisely so, most likely. Also I'd have to ask you/mrdennissir, who deems this producer as being well-known? Them? You? Or more importantly, others in this town/the industry? And though I don't know who said what to whom since very few details are given, it's very possible someone (an assistant or a CE) in the producer's office suggested putting together a small presentation to help sell the project. To help give it every opportunity in terms of getting the producer excited about it.

The "others" making suggestions about what to do, might simply be low budget filmmaker friends who are used to putting together packages & presentations for financing purposes. Who knows who these people are? Again, it doesn't sound like the "well-know" producer told a writer to do that.

If you are working with a producer already -- a second one since it doesn't sound like you are doing anything with the first one -- then they should really be shopping the script around, looking for money, looking for talent, etc. Not you really, as others have posted. That part does sound a little off. In terms of forwarding it if you are referring to the producer you mentioned above, the "well-known" one, then no you shouldn't be asking them to pass anything on for you. It's probably a pass from them. Keep moving forward. If they are interested, once their film is released they will follow up with you.

As a few others have noted, Ronaldinho is right about his points. What I'm noting though is I don't think they apply to the producer referred to in the first paragraph who read the material. I doesn't read to me the "well-known" producer's credibility should be called into play just yet without knowing more details.

Quote:
The[sic] are not aware of you guys, they had never heard of PAGE, etc.
I'm not sure what this means, though. They are not aware of who? Our site? Our forums? One particular contest out there? Not sure why that would even come up OR matter to a discussion about optioning, buying and/or developing a project.

Maybe mrdennissir will pop back in soon and clarify a few points so we know one way or the other who said what, where the suggestions came from, etc.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 12-14-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Clarification
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote