Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
UnequalProductions

Default General boredom

I'm getting pretty tired of these General Meetings. I burning through all my vacation time at work to go into a production company/network to talk with the lowest person on their development totem and hear how they "loved this script, but it just isn't for us," then leave with only a half-drank bottle of water to show for it.

We always her from our manager or agent after that they loved us or were really impressed by us, but life goes right back to the way it was.

Someone please tell me this is worth it. Every time we hit that next milestone in our career, I think "this is it," but it feels like we're just going in circles, never actually getting any closer to the goal. Oh, we won this contest. Oh, we got a manager. Oh, we got an agent. Oh, we got this meeting.

But here I am, sitting at the same desk, working the same job, posting on the same forums.
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
markerstone
Regular

Default Re: General boredom

...didn't the tortoise win the race?

Seriously-- I tell all my writers the same thing: practice (write), patience (practice that too) and persistence (don't give up). If you are good in a room you will be remembered.

Keep in mind that these lower level development folks will be Directors, VPs then running the studios/networks one day.

M
Old 03-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
ducky1288

General meetings very rarely go anywhere. In features you gotta either sell something or set up a spec at a company to work with who is investing time and resources.

That or run to TV like a lot of people where stuff actually happens.

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Rantanplan

I found your post interesting and am guessing that the lack or response is a reflection of people...not wanting to admit the same?

Wouldn't it be nice if everybody was up front? This meeting's just for show.... those young execs have to prove they've met with X number of writers...the rep can prove she's set up xx number of meetings...etc.

I don't know, I've never even been in your situation, but it sounds painful. Would it not be possible to only ask your reps to set up meetings that are LIKELY to go somewhere--i.e. with people who have a genuine interest in your script? Or is that just not done, in HW?

Or, or: is that actually how peeps do get a foot in the door? I don't know.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
ducky1288

I think people like to put faces to names and meetings are a part of the business. Usually my reps let me know up front when something is more than a general so I can prepare but otherwise I go in knowing it's just a meet and greet.

General meetings really don't put execs out, except maybe an hour of their time so it's not a big thing for them to meet with hundreds of writers. Unfortunately having reps and taking meetings isn't the top of the mountain in terms of a career

It could be worse, you could have no reps and be getting no meetings. I think when you write that one thing that lights up the town you'll see a difference in reactions among people. Personally I'm skeptical of all praise in meetings. I used to intern at a prodco and listen to those execs tell writer after writer the same things and pitch them the same ideas/projects. There are twenty more writers waiting behind you, so standing out is tough but if you can do it, then great.

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
Bono

I've been on them too a few times... I don't live in LA, so it was exciting and a big deal to fit them all in one week... we had some opportunities form it, but it never actual went anywhere...

So since I live back East, I honestly don't know if I would be excited to go to any general mtgs if my next spec (being hopeful) didn't' sell... I mean I'd love to get on skype or on the phone or email.... but to fly to LA to drink the water (literally) does seem like a waste of time.

Sure I get networking, making friends, yada yada... but why is it better to meet with people to tell you "we didnt' buy your scirpt, but like your writing" than just to go write the next spec...

Since all the opportunities will only be write for free with a producer either your or their idea... why not just go write your own idea again...

From what I've seen, all the writers that are doing well and like their reps and have careers, did so AFTER they sold a spec... I know sometimes a great spec can get you on the radar and lead to things... but isn't that just so rare? I'm sure there's people... I can only think of writers who sold stuff to launch themselves... I don't know anyone that had the blacklist script that got them future work from writing that didn't sell...

Again, I don't know ****.... just my thoughts. I agree with OP... there's not giving up and then there's just sucking your own dick. That's what those meetings feel like. You can feel great after it, but at the end of the day you didn't' do anything productive.

I"m so thirsty now...
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
UnequalProductions

Thanks for all the great responses. I think that more than anything I was just in a bummed out mood last week. Between the general meetings that didn't seem to be going anywhere and situations like what I posted about at Nickelodeon, where I think I'm doing well, and then the entire development staff gets fired a week later.

Overall, I think my feelings would be completely different if I didn't have a day job. My previous day job was a living hell, so I couldn't care less if my meetings affected my work.

But on top of that, too, these meetings keep me away from the thing I love most, which is actual writing. I'm prepping pitches or coming up with new pitches. Over Christmas I busted out a whole new pilot out of the pent up energy of how little screenwriting I had been doing.

Don't get me wrong, I love that I have representation now and that I'm getting these meetings. Just after years of living in LA, paying my rent is always the top thing in my mind.
UnequalProductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
AE35-Unit
Regular

After that Nickelodeon thing it's no wonder the way you feel. Buuut, it's a f+cked-up business and we're mutants for even trying to break into it so f+ck it -- Spark a splif and keep going.

Last edited by AE35-Unit : 03-23-2015 at 03:03 PM.
AE35-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #9
UpandComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE35-Unit View Post
Spark a splif and keep going.
I'm stitching this onto a pillow
Old 03-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #10
AE35-Unit
Regular

Wink Re: General boredom

Oy! (oh and f*ck the bottled water bit. If they ask me to come to Hollywood on my own dime to discuss something I wrote, somebody, somewhere better have a bottle of Bushmills and some ice stashed away in the cupboard, or I'll go get my own and mix that bitch right in front of them.)

Last edited by AE35-Unit : 03-23-2015 at 05:42 PM.
AE35-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote