Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Bunker

Default "Tell me about yourself"

How do you handle that question at a general?

It's always been a tough one for me.

It's not like my personal story includes stints as a Navy Seal or hostage negotiator, or anything that really influences my writing.

The answer is really, "I was born. Went to college. Worked an uninteresting white-collar job and wrote on the side. And now, this sci-fi script - that has nothing to do with anything in my life - has gotten me this meeting."

I don't like having pre-rehearsed monologues, but this is the kind of question that requires some sort of prepared story, otherwise I can drift into tangents.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
wsaunders
Regular

Default Re: "Tell me about yourself"

Never had a meeting myself yet, just getting into the game, but I would imagine maybe talking about what movies influenced you? Who is your favorite writer, director, etc. Maybe give two examples, a classic example and a more modern one. Where do you hope to see yourself in two years, five? Or what kind of stories you like to tell? Zany comedies anyone can laugh at, cerebral thrillers that hint at a universal truth, yadda yadda.
wsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
AnyOtherName
Regular

This isn't necessarily advice, but-- you wouldn't be the first screenwriter in history to just, erm, make something up...

Last edited by AnyOtherName : 02-08-2017 at 06:23 PM.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
Mintclub
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
How do you handle that question at a general?

It's always been a tough one for me.

It's not like my personal story includes stints as a Navy Seal or hostage negotiator, or anything that really influences my writing.

The answer is really, "I was born. Went to college. Worked an uninteresting white-collar job and wrote on the side. And now, this sci-fi script - that has nothing to do with anything in my life - has gotten me this meeting."

I don't like having pre-rehearsed monologues, but this is the kind of question that requires some sort of prepared story, otherwise I can drift into tangents.

It's not about the landmarks in your life it's about you, the person living that life. So you're working a normal job right? Well what was it about YOU bunker working this job that made you go "in my spare time, I'm gonna write a script!" And why THIS script? Have you always wanted to be a writer? If so what got you to this point. If not, what changed?

Last edited by Mintclub : 04-04-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
castilleja32
Regular

Nice article with viewpoints from several writers on handling this question, plus other tips:

http://filmmakermagazine.com/86771-i.../#.VR9b5ihvYUU
castilleja32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
tinlizzie
Regular

Great article!
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Bunker

Thanks for the advice, everyone! And that is a great article.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #8
Bob Smargiassi
User

Haha this is very reminiscent of my experience. When I'd utter the phrase "corporate finance" in my meetings you could just feel their attention dull. It's almost like they're thinking "oh, he's just a dude with a job. He's not special."
Bob Smargiassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:35 AM   #9
Bono

Cut to the fun bits and stuff that is unique to you. I always start at what college I went to, that I met my wife in high school, from Boston...

They are looking for some things to talk about. My writing partner is from Vegas, so he says that in a general and it's 10 minutes of talk about that...

It's just a way to get the conversation going...

If you're a comedy writer, you can also just start off with a joke and say whatever comes to you to break the ice...

"Well, I've killed 5 hookers in the past 10 years... also I'm trying a gluten free diet."

It's really just BS to get the convo going and to get a sense of the person behind the writing.

If you're from England or from Florida, that'a s different POV... just give some fun facts to get them excited about you... sell yourself kids.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote