Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #21
Bunker

Default Re: Producer liked my script, need advice.

I went to a panel of network execs recently and they all mentioned that one of the key elements of their job is to differentiate between "a good pilot" and "a good show."

The competition with regards to pilots is huge now. Every feature and TV writer has multiple pilots they're shopping, and many of these scripts are technically sound - an intriguing premise, interesting characters, threads that can evolve into larger story lines, etc. But once they actually sit down and begin discussing the show, it becomes obvious when there's a void, or emptiness beyond the pilot.

In eras past, writers would come up with the show and then develop the pilot. Now, writers are coming up with pilots and extrapolating it into a show.

I feel the tide will turn soon, and networks are going to demand bibles of increasing detail. They're being burned by too many good pilots and good pitches for empty concepts.

But for now, you can get away with a good pitch document as long as you can convince the producers and networks that, if asked, you can easily craft a 50 page bible because your story is so deep and you've given it so much thought.

The key is to have a clear vision and communicate it.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #22
Dingo_Pug
User

A series bible could quite reasonably be written over the weekend. There are some examples on the net I think. If you can't find any then just send me a PM and I'll send you one. -- best of luck :-)
Dingo_Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #23
JeffLowell

I've sold twenty plus pilots to networks and never written a bible once.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #24
nitrohawk91
User

Yeah I didn't think I would need one either.
nitrohawk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:15 AM   #25
LIMAMA

I'd defer to Jeff's judgement in this matter.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #26
ScreenwriterGal
New User

Just wondering how things turned out. It would be nice if you could share what happened...something must have happened by now or perhaps you are busy working on that bible?

Anyway, I'm a NEWBIE, but my better judgment tells me if there is a true interest in what you have you don't have to lie about having a bible, but you could say that you are working on it and would love the opportunity to meet via SKYPE.

So please let us know what happened. I am sure I'm not the only one that wants to know.
ScreenwriterGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #27
nitrohawk91
User

I ended up writing the bible, and I sent it to the initial producer who I made this post about. He fizzled out.

But the bible ended up helping me when I made contact with another producer. The new producer liked it and I ended up doing a rewrite of the pilot for him based on some really good notes. Waiting to hear back now, just sent him the finished draft on Friday. If anything "real" comes of it I'll report back.
nitrohawk91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #28
ManbunShiva
User

Jeff, you seem really prolific. And with a great batting average. You sold 20 pilots, you said. Just curious, is that even possible? Anything we'd have heard of? Am I talking to the most successful tv writer here?
ManbunShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #29
JeffLowell

I've run or co-run four shows, two in the last two years. I was in development deals where I wrote two or three pilots a year for five years, and have also sold pilots outside of those. I was out of TV for awhile, but have been back recently. Most of the credits are on imdb, except for a few consulting gigs I had while I was on overall deals.

Last edited by JeffLowell : 11-23-2015 at 06:39 AM.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #30
Centurio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManbunShiva View Post
Jeff, you seem really prolific. And with a great batting average. You sold 20 pilots, you said. Just curious, is that even possible? Anything we'd have heard of? Am I talking to the most successful tv writer here?
I get that not everyone knows who Jeff is or what a big help he's been to many people on this board for years, but instead of questioning if "something's even possible" (as if he's not telling the truth) just go look at IMDB.