Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
sidgrey
User

Default Producer attachment request. Should I?

I've been pitching my feature script around and have had a few meetings with smaller and independant producers. One of them loves it and she wants to attach herself to it via contract. I don't even know what this means. If I am still pitching it around, would this inhibit me in any way?

The thing is, I have never done this and am scared of optioning or any contract with the wrong person. But then again, having ANYONE interested in doing something with me, who likes the script, and has contacts, is a good thing right?

I dont know what to do....
BTW the producer is Sarena Khan, very cool girl who really understands the script well and is a go-getter, but I don't know much of what she has done.
sidgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
omjs

Default Re: Producer attachment request. Should I?

What does she want to do with the script? Attaching people who aren't actively contributing is a bad idea, but if she's got connections to funding or other resources and can actually help get the movie made, then it can be worth it. Make sure she's willing to lay out a plan for you, and verify as best you can how realistic that is (ie, if she's saying she'll give it to Steven Spielberg, but there's no evidence she's ever worked with him, that's not likely to actually happen).
omjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
KitchonaSteve
Regular

I completely agree with what omjs said. Check out her IMDB page. She does have credits and a pedigree. Definitely ask her to lay out what she plans to bring to the project.

Also, run any contract past an entertainment lawyer before you sign it, or even make a verbal agreement.

HTH,

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
sidgrey
User

THANKS - she wants to pitch to some connections she has, and she comes from a movie background in India but is now in the circuit in hollywood. She says she has connections to people who can fund and back the project, but I'm just trying to make sure I know what I'm doing before I jump in the water, because I have had a couple other people also say they want to do something with the script.

Im Indian also, so it helps that she understands me and my characters (one of which is also indian).

thanks again
Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidgrey View Post
THANKS - she wants to pitch to some connections she has, and she comes from a movie background in India but is now in the circuit in hollywood. She says she has connections to people who can fund and back the project, but I'm just trying to make sure I know what I'm doing before I jump in the water, because I have had a couple other people also say they want to do something with the script.

Im Indian also, so it helps that she understands me and my characters (one of which is also indian).

thanks again
Then she should option the script. If she wants the perks of attachment, make it legal.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
harbak
User

Another route I have taken in the past is sign a Right to Shop Agreement with the party in question and specify where they are allowed to shop it, and the time frame allowed to shop it, and the parameters of any option you will accept from those arrangements ahead of time. If nothing comes of it who cares? Protects you and lets her do her thing. I had a script get coverage internally at WME by a producer with this arrangement and I never would have gotten anything in there. Script wasn't good enough to get anyone attached but it was pretty cool and I got my first Consider's from one of the big agencies. He wasn't going to option it unless it could garner some attachments and that was fine with me. Just my 2 cents.
harbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
sidgrey
User

I just dont want to take it for granted that someone who might be able to do something with this script is actually interested, but then again, I believe in my script enough that I think there is a market for it and I think I could sell it. It's a conundrum.

What is a good time frame if I do the attachment? 3 months?
Old 10-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
LateNightWriter

What Harbak said. Sign a 90 day shopping agreement (Done Deal has samples) that specifies no more than three places she has exclusive rights to shop it. This protects both of you. She probably does not have the ability to set it up elsewhere anyway, and it gives you the freedom to shop it to reps and producers outside of her exclusive contacts during those 90 days.

Good luck.

Late Night Writer
LateNightWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
sidgrey
User

does a shopping agreement specify that she would be the producer? If not what is the benefit to her?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
ProfessorChomp
Regular

It would likely spell out that she's a producer for that specific time period (and/or those specific places if she sets it up). Outside of the scope of that time period and those companies, she wouldn't be. Unless you do any work based on notes she gives. Then you're venturing into permanently-attached land.
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote