Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
ClintW3
Regular

Default Re: Mysterious email. What would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Holmes View Post
Done. We'll see.
I'll kill a chicken.
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:35 PM   #12
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Holmes View Post
This is unusual. I received an email from a gmail address purporting to be from a real production company, referencing a script I've had on the BlackList site for a couple of years. I'd actually forgotten it was on there.

The email says they'd "love to check out" my script. There's no other real info on the email, no sig information other than the sender's name. Ordinarily, I'd think it to be spam, but there's a CC to an actual email address that appears to legitimately be their director of acquisitions according to IMDB and Deadline...
Don't bite my head off, but the most curious thing I found about the OP was that the producer had seen or was referencing the script that was on the BL.

I thought producers etc. could simply download stuff from there, when hosting was being paid for. Why'd the producer have to ask for it? Or was s/he maybe referring to having seen the coverage/ranking, and does that mean those things hang around on the site long after the script's paid hosting ends? If so, is that a good idea?! (I'm only asking you kind folks; I certainly have my own opinion )

I apologize if it looks like I'm trying to turn this into another BL thread. Not my intention. I've never been able to afford it so have never paid too much attention to its intricacies.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #13
ClintW3
Regular

Yes, you can keep listing up on the site without the ability to download the script. For example, I'm not paying for actively hosting my scripts, but you can see:

FREEDOM FORT

Clint Williams

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/t...s/genre_10.png https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/t...s/genre_92.png
2017 NICHOLL QUARTERFINALIST Two runaway slaves meet en route to a sanctuary in the wilderness of Spanish Florida that draws freedom-seeking people from across the South. But, before they can build...

DELIVER US FROM EVIL

Clint Williams, Taylor Williams

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/t...s/genre_15.png
A soul-sick and war-weary knight home from the Crusade is forced to fight again as he leads his comrades and a motley band of refugees in a battle for survival against an army of the undead.

I'm guessing someone saw the OP's logline etc and dug it.

Last edited by Done Deal Pro : 06-13-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #14
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintW3 View Post
...I'm guessing someone saw the OP's logline etc and dug it.
Thanks sir, I guess without that functionality the BL site would be bereft of content pretty quickly. (I couldn't see anything of your links, by the way; but no matter)
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #15
asteven50
Regular

I got a similar request from a legit director/producer for a script that I totally forgot was on BL. It was inactive, so the download button no longer worked. I cc'ed my reps and sent it. Never heard back.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #16
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
Someone wants to read your script. Send it.
Totally agree here.

Short story. Zero Gravity Production and I negotiated an option for my spec TRACKER. They approached me exactly the same way through the Black List website. Simply asked if the spec was available and to email them directly. Made no reference of who they were, just knew their email ending.

The option didn't work out, but it was ligit.

No one is going to steel your work.

My opinions are just that-- opinions.
https://www.lisamolusis.com/project-02
finalact4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
Colin Holmes
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Totally agree here.

Short story. Zero Gravity Production and I negotiated an option for my spec TRACKER. They approached me exactly the same way through the Black List website. Simply asked if the spec was available and to email them directly. Made no reference of who they were, just knew their email ending.

The option didn't work out, but it was ligit.

No one is going to steel your work.
Yeah, I wasn't worried about it getting stolen - it's been copyrighted and registered with the guild, been in a few contests. This just wasn't a way I'd ever been approached about a piece. No query, no previous contact and no real background. Seemed strange.

We'll see if anything comes of it.
Colin Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #18
Cooper
Regular

Quote:
Totally agree here.

Short story. Zero Gravity Production and I negotiated an option for my spec TRACKER. They approached me exactly the same way through the Black List website.
Aren't they a management company? Were they trying to poach you as a client or did they not know you already had a manager? I thought they represented scripts; I didn't know they paid to option them. (You learn something new every day!)

Are you going to contact them now that your old manager has gone off in a different direction?

Just curious.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #19
finalact4

The have two sides to their business. One is the management team and the other is a production house. They produced The Accounntant with Ben Afleck.

My manager was going to produce with them and have a separate deal option with them independent of mine.

No, I won’t go back to them with it, we had a fundamental difference of opinion. Both my manage and my lawyer agreed with my decision.

It was nice to get the negotiating experience. 😊

My opinions are just that-- opinions.
https://www.lisamolusis.com/project-02
finalact4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #20
Cooper
Regular

Quote:
The have two sides to their business. One is the management team and the other is a production house. They produced The Accounntant with Ben Afleck.

My manager was going to produce with them and have a separate deal option with them independent of mine.

No, I won’t go back to them with it, we had a fundamental difference of opinion. Both my manage and my lawyer agreed with my decision.

It was nice to get the negotiating experience. 😊
Ah, that's interesting... yeah, I imagine that the negotiating experience was beneficial, even fun.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote