Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annoying Agent

I got an offer for an option on my script from a producer. So I got an agent that agreed to help me do this deal --- he didn't sign me --- just to negotiate this option. Great.

But it's been almost 2 weeks. I was curious how long these things usually take? I hear longer than they should.

And also wonder how much I can/should contact the agent? I don't want to annoy him, but I also don't want to be so passive nothing gets done.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Re: Annoying Agent

Negotiating the options can take a long time -- I had two of them take a couple months (however, those were more complex too).

Still, probably nothing wrong with checking in regularly just to see what's happening.
    Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

HAVE A LAWYER NEGOTIATE IT. You don't need an agent for this deal, plus why pay 10% when you can pay 5???

Good luck!
      "PC lobe letter? What the f*%k does that mean?"

Comment

In truth, the most money that an option deal is going to garner is that initial option price (and maybe the option renewal price).

So that being said, 10 percent of the option is not particularly attractive to the agent, manager, or lawyer. At that point, it's either a) Do I believe in this writer's ability? or B) I'll get around to it when I get around to it since the upside for me is very small.
        -------

I didn't have time to write a short script so I wrote a long one instead.

Comment

i think you should take whatever representation you can get. Worry about the $ later, just try and get a team around you whenever possible.

Comment

Depends who is optioning the project. More than likely, it's not a lot of money. Also, the ball could be on the producer's court and the agent is still waiting.
            --------------------------
            http://www.screenwritingcompass.com
            Anonymous rep guiding screenwriters.

Comment

Working...
            X