it doesn't mean the first 15-20 were wrong either

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/...tranger-things

Comment

Re: Stranger Things

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
      it doesn't mean the first 15-20 were wrong either

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/08/...tranger-things
      Spoilers below:

No, it doesn't. You're right, because if it had landed in one of those places who really didn't believe in it the development process might have churned out a different result.

It does mean that maybe it found a home who knew their audience. A place where it could thrive? I liked it. I'll watch the next season. And sure the body being found did play like he was really dead. It was a little confusing that we were supposed to buy into the fact that somehow a part of him was still trapped in the other dimension, until we learn the truth. But that's also how I knew the mother was right. He was still alive.

I enjoyed it. Didn't take too much thought to follow along. Or keep up.

It's kind of like in Looper when Old Joe gets a chance to change what his future would be? Except he really shouldn't be able to, because both moments when he changes it are the same moment. He already made his choice.

It didn't really seem possible with the story rules that were set up, but I still loved the movie.

I loved Cloud Atlas and have seen it about 9 times probably, but not everyone liked it. It had a great message. Good social commentary. And reminded us who we really are, have been, and possibly always will be.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
        if it had landed in one of those places who really didn't believe in it the development process might have churned out a different result.
        I love this and I think you're right. If screenwriting/hollywood is like high school or dating, think of how your life would've turned out with that wrong person? That ex-boyfriend is an ex for a reason. Those people who rejected your screenplays wouldn't have worked out. It was the wrong people, wrong chemistry, wrong time, wrong something.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
          That ex-boyfriend is an ex for a reason.
          Unless you're Nancy and the ex-boyfriend is an a-hole named Steve, who you go back to even though the guy you're really in love with saved your life

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
            Unless you're Nancy and the ex-boyfriend is an a-hole named Steve, who you go back to even though the guy you're really in love with saved your life
            To be fair, Steve also saved her life.
            "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Is it OK to post spoilers in these threads? I just finished watching this last night and have a couple of questions. Maybe things were left unclear on purpose to set up the second season, but even if that was the case, I feel like a few things were definitely left unanswered.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                Here's the link to the article about that... http://www.looper.com/21367/untold-t...edium=referral

A couple of things I think are good for any writer to keep in mind as they fight for their projects to find a home. This is not from empirical knowledge, but rather what I chose to believe.

-- it all starts with ONE person who loves your project and is willing to stand behind it, because they believe in the project and have the self-confidence to stand behind their decision when others buckle.

-- just because you've completed your spec doesn't mean this is the ideal time for it. There may be a time when, for whatever reason, it will be better received.

-- you can't be the person that gives up on your project. You have to be its first champion, no matter how many times you've heard the word, "no." If you give up, no one will ever get to experience your beautiful imagination.

-- miracles do happen and they're not by the hand of God but by something happening at just the right time, with just the right person, and just the right project.

-- not every studio/network/prodco is willing to LEAD all the time, because being the market leader involves greater risk. But sure as ****, when one takes a step no one else is willing to take, others follow and, at least for a time, search for their new diamond in the rough.

-- we must accept that when risky projects fail, that it can have an impact on how our projects are received. Studios/networks/prodcos have their jobs on the line and sometimes it's safer to retreat to what is known, familiar, and exactly what we've seen before.

-- no one who gets a film to market is trying to make a bad movie. I respect every film made. Personally, I hate to see other writers bashing movies, because I keep thinking, "okay, you do better." I got nailed pretty hard on this site a few years back with that comment and I think it was completely misunderstood.

We're writers, and the "okay, you do better," comment was meant to suggest that as writers perhaps we could be more analytical. Identifying story problems. Offering solutions that could have made it a better experience. Sure sometimes you can't figure out why it hits you wrong, but to disparage the hard work of so many people just feels wrong to me.

We're writers and we should be able work through story problems and talking about them on this site, I had hoped, could help writers (including me at the time) develop the mindset of identifying/resolving story problems in our own work.

But many took my comments as if I was condescending to them, or telling them they couldn't have an opinion. Far from my intention. Hopefully, I haven't offended anyone again.

So there's my pep talk for today-- feeling very positive, not sure why (no drugs were involved).

And yes, I was a cheerleader in high school, so shoot me.

I realize this was posted 6 months ago, but it was a message I needed to see today. Talk about a message in a bottle. Thank you finalact4

Comment

Working...
                X