Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Came Back

Catch this if you have Netflix. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, and “Five Came Back” has a lot of pictures. For anyone who's ever been a military photographer or camera operator — or a civilian one, for that matter — it's a must see.

Personally, I thought it was great. It took a lot of talent and skill to put it together with the cohesion it owns; its pace and rhythm seem perfect. I was only disappointed there weren't more episodes to watch.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Re: Five Came Back

it is definitely a Spielberg-produced thing. i thought it told the story of the directors well, although without any great sense of irony, i.e., America's propaganda machine was better than Germany's propaganda machine, ergo our guys were heroes and their guys were villains. didn't think the visual esthetic, with all the pointless shaky cam and jump/flash cutting served any real narrative purpose. but the subject matter was pretty interesting overall.

Comment

Well, there were bombs going off all around, usually, or land mines and booby-traps of which to beware. The snippets of film of the directors was fleeting, most of the time. The cameras weren't lightweight or well-balanced, either.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
        Well, there were bombs going off all around, usually, or land mines and booby-traps of which to beware. The snippets of film of the directors was fleeting, most of the time. The cameras weren't lightweight or well-balanced, either.
        not the original footage itself (well, other than the stuff at San Pietro that Huston faked to make it look like the battle that he missed). the documentary used weird effects in cutting between that original footage and the talking heads that didn't seem to serve any purpose. it's a subtle thing but annoyed me

Comment

Ah. I see. I'll need to look at it again to consciously “see” that. If I didn't catch it, it must have been a smooth transition, in other words, some really good work.

A straight cut works best most of the time, and the timing of the cut can make or break each scene. It's why feature film editors have one of the most difficult of all the tasks associated with feature film production. The same principle applies to documentary films.

Hats off to those who researched the archival footage to find the shots needed to go with the script.

Comment

I binged it last night and enjoyed it. The thing it made me remember is how many American writers or directors, especially on this board, have Military history. Not really any point to that, it's just strange to an outsider.

I wasn't prepared for how graphic the D-Day footage was. Easy to forget the real people behind the death statistics.

Comment

Working...
            X