Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Dark Knight

$155 million weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday)

Comment

Yeah, I'm an idiot and read it wrong. Thought it was a daily average of 35000 per screen.
      The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

I always thought it might be interesting if Robin turned out to be a woman. Someone who challenged Bruce Wayne and Batman.
        826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
          Brilliant piece of film making. I loved it on so many levels. As a film fan and screenwriting fan.

I'm just going to state this and let the chips fall where they may:

This is the best movie about the "War on Terror" I have ever seen. And it wasn't even about this particular issue... Or was it?

I know the Batman series is the farthest one can get from the contemporary issues the world is facing, and I am not trying to stir up any kind of heated political debate. But I found myself smiling ear-to-ear... Not unlike the Joker... With the issues this movie address even if they were in subtle (thematic) ways. In my opinion, one of the central questions asked is what are you, visa vi Bruce Wayne/Batman and even Harvey Dent, willing to do to protect what you believe in and love? And to what lengths are you willing to go to in order to achieve those ends? I think this is why this movie will resonate with adults even more than kids/teens if they are willing to not just take the movie at face value.

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself the villain".

This pretty much sums up why *I* think this film is inadvertently about the War on Terror and what lengths we, as supposed civilized nations, willing to go to fight those like the Joker who have no real agenda other than to see the world burn (Al Queda claims it is a Jihad; the reality is religion has very little to do with why they do what they do if you research them).

I liked how the movie touched on the fact the Joker is the ultimate "Terrorist"... Even being so bold as to have Commissioner Gordon call him that by name... And how like real terrorists, the mob was so desperate to hold onto what they had they turned to a man like him for help, but he turned out to be even too much for them to control.

The movie also explored other pertinent issues relating to terrorism like invasion of one's privacy for the greater good (turning all the cell phones in Gotham into a giant sonar imaging device), unorthodox interrogation methods, (Batman beating the Joker to a pulp in at the Gotham PD station and everybody just letting him), and the "other" war we've got ourselves into that we were not prepared for (the ambush on Dent's transport where the cops are yelling this isn't what they signed up for; desperately calling for air support).

I realize sometimes "a banana is just a banana". But if you look at what this movie is about underneath just the crazy guy in a bat suit battling the crazy guy in clown face makeup... I think it examines the world we live in and is able to do something none of the overtly political movies like "Lions for Lambs" and "Stop Loss" were able to do: Reflect on the times we live in, offer a glimmer of hope, but never at the expense of being entertaining first and foremost. I think this is the lesson aspiring screenwriters should take from this if nothing else.

On a less cerebral note...

I think Kristen Bell would make the perfect Harley Quinn. Pair her up with the Riddler, Anthony Michael Hall, and I think you have a great over-the-top evil duo, but who are still anchored in reality.
          Well done. I totally agree with you.

Comment

Other than Heath's performance, what I liked best was when Batman jumped off the building.... then the SNAP! of his batwings as they spread out and he glides away.

Comment

How about when he snatches the guy from his Hong Kong office and gets picked up by the cargo plane? That was freaking cool, especially in IMAX!

Comment

Originally posted by thewire View Post
                How about when he snatches the guy from his Hong Kong office and gets picked up by the cargo plane? That was freaking cool, especially in IMAX!
                "I'm not wearing hockey pants."

Comment

Just came back.

One word: Exhilarating.

Forget the whole Superhero thing; this elevates the art of film making to another level. Nolan, his cast and crew deserve every accolade bestowed upon them.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Brilliant, another word to describe it.

Comment

Exhilarating... is truly the word I would say for it!
                      Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                      Just came back.

One word: Exhilarating.

Forget the whole Superhero thing; this elevates the art of film making to another level. Nolan, his cast and crew deserve every accolade bestowed upon them.
                      I really am grateful for such a terrific film in the franchise, it's just a pure ashame that Heath isn't here to reap in the good fortunes. God bless his soul!

Any word about a sequel?
                      D. Alin
                      http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Originally posted by David Alin View Post

Any word about a sequel?
                        oh, there will be one. No way WB will turn away from a franchise this successful. However, it is yet to be seen who will be involved in the third, and when we will get it.

Bale, Oldman, Caine, and Freeman are the only ones required to come back
                        Script List

Comment

Good! Cause I am looking forward to seeing it, no dobut!
                          Originally posted by uwill1der View Post
                          oh, there will be one. No way WB will turn away from a franchise this successful. However, it is yet to be seen who will be involved in the third, and when we will get it.

Bale, Oldman, Caine, and Freeman are the only ones required to come back
                          D. Alin
                          http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

"So say we all."

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                              This pretty much sums up why *I* think this film is inadvertently about the War on Terror and what lengths we, as supposed civilized nations, willing to go to fight those like the Joker who have no real agenda other than to see the world burn (Al Queda claims it is a Jihad; the reality is religion has very little to do with why they do what they do if you research them).
                              I have to disagree with the Joker and the Al-Qaeda comparison, simply because suicide bombers believe in God and Heaven.

I agree that Batman is facing a form of terrorism, but the again, isn't every comic book villain resorting to a form of terrorism? If you remember the original Superman (Donner, 1978), Lex Luther's goal was to destroy California with a nuke.

When Bruce Wayne says "I see now what I have to become to stop men like him" is not something I believe the architects of "The War on Terror" ever asked themselves. In that respect, Nolan has put more thought into The Dark Knight than Bush has put into his entire presidency.

Comment

Ah, but Lex was out to make money with that nuke so a little different.

and, damn that was a great hero movie. The Joker was freakin' scary. "I'm gonna make this pencil disappear!"

Comment

Working...
                                X