Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Age of Television redux

An interviewee on an NPR show this morning hinted that we're living in a "second 'Golden Age' of television." Proven performance of TV shows like "The Sopranos," "Dexter," "Weeds," "Deadwood," "Breaking Bad," "Game of Thrones, " and others (the list goes on) would seem to make the commenter's allusion ring true.

Other articles speak of the recent rise of television and the decline of film, some of which owes partly to the technological eruption of the small, smaller, and smallest screen. Any thoughts?
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Re: Golden Age of Television redux

I don't think we're in any golden age of television. The best television shows aren't better than the best films and, if anything, the worst shows are only getting worse. There have always been good and bad television shows and films - you just don't get page views, saying that.

And so long as we're picking and choosing examples of great television (*ahem* long form storytelling), why aren't we picking and choosing HIMYM? Are we really incapable of taking a sitcom-format show seriously?

Comment

HIMYM is a great show, sharp insights on Americans and American culture, its flaws, foibles, even its positive traits, and all served with a chuckle.

Groundbreaking television shows by my definition would be shows that were groundbreaking because television was also new. Now they're classed as from the 'Golden Age' of television, but are TV classics nonetheless.

I've been enthralled by certain shows, I admit. "Weeds" was fun for me to watch because the show was so well-written and the lead character was so perfectly portrayed. It's hard to imagine what being on the writing team for that show must have been like; each show topped the previous show.

There's a rumored movie in the offing, and I hope so. My strategy would have been to have it out by now to capitalize on the audience's memory of the show. On the other hand, that show's fanbase will want Ms. Parker to play the lead (and still be able to wear those shorts) and they'll expect the movie to be nothing short of great, and rightfully so. But Mary-Louise Parker may have spoiled our pleasure of ever seeing her act in films again: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1226680021459

The clock is ticking on that one being made into a movie.

Comment

As to whether or not television has arrived at a second 'Golden Age' is a matter of opinion. There have been many articles written on the rise of the popularity of series shows such as "The Sopranos" and others that discuss their impact on the declining theater-going public.

Perhaps those articles can be surmised with the statement that audiences still want substance, not spectacle, though to be true that is largely dependent on demographic data. Nonetheless, there's a great global desire for Hollywood's spectacles as is proven at the box office.

Television has been as popular as ever, with new shows always spiking the graphs. For that NPR story interviewee to say that television is enjoying its "second Golden Age" may have been a bit of a stretch.

Comment

We are in a golden age of television.

I think for many people, viewing their favorite TV show is much more enjoyable than seeing a movie in the theater. This is largely because there is only so much character development that can be done in 120 minutes, and there are limits to how attached we can get to those characters in so short a time.

This new golden age is the result of TV producers expecting viewers to be caught up from the previous show. The casual procedural, where each show ends exactly where it began, so that the shows can be watched in any order, is dying out - and being replaced with what is essentially a 12-24 hour movie.

I think the trend is only going to continue.

Comment

Working...
          X