Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Us

I just watched the premiere episode of This Is Us on Hulu tonight.

I must say from the marketing I didn't think I would like it, but I really did like it. I feel they marketed it wrong because it made it seem like it was going to be boring.

The writing was pretty good, the actors all do a great job, the few jokes/comedic parts were well done without overkill like you see in most drama series that try to have a few laughs in them.

The pace was at a good clip, no lagging.

And the end....totally worth it!! (not gonna give away any spoilers).

I highly recommend watching it if you can. I think it's gonna be around a while.

Re: This Is Us

The marketing definitely made it look really boring (or at best like one of those feel-good series on Hallmark Channel or whatever), but my Twitter feed has been loving it. Based on that and this review, I'll have to check it out.

Comment

I saw it. For the most part, I liked it. Some segments were syrupy and on the nose, but the twist at the end was awesome.

I don't know if it will be a "must see" for me given what else is out there, but I'll at least give it a few more episodes.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Based on trailers, I was convinced there was no way I would like this show. And I was completely wrong.

Great pilot with a smack-your-face ending that you won't see coming. Other episodes have had twisty endings as well, but the show doesn't rely on them as a whole. I think there was only one episode I wasn't crazy about. The others were fascinating. A great look into an extended family, very believable, with some good comic relief. And the acting has been the best of any show this fall that I've seen. Sterling K. Brown in particular has been intense and funny. Love the job he's done here.

Comment

Definitely have enjoyed it. The acting is incredible and there really is nothing else like it on TV right now.

Comment

Huge fan of the show, because:

1) It eschews the cynical approach that's so in vogue now.
            2) It explores how a family copes with having an interracial make-up, something that many families in America can relate to. Can't remember a show that's done this since well, maybe Different Strokes.
            3) It shows a well-to-do, non-stereotypical family of color at the center of their own story. Extremely rare to see that on TV.

It's fundamentally a show about people caring for one another, which, given the current state of our social climate, is the kind of thing we're gonna need to get through the next few years.

The only issue I have is I don't really buy Mandy Moore's old-person make-up, but I like the show enough to get past it : )
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I've continued to watch this, mostly for the Randall/William story line which I find emotionally riveting. I'm less hooked by the Kevin and Kate story lines which feel like conventional network TV stuff.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                Huge fan of the show, because:

1) It eschews the cynical approach that's so in vogue now.
                2) It explores how a family copes with having an interracial make-up, something that many families in America can relate to. Can't remember a show that's done this since well, maybe Different Strokes.
                3) It shows a well-to-do, non-stereotypical family of color at the center of their own story. Extremely rare to see that on TV.

It's fundamentally a show about people caring for one another, which, given the current state of our social climate, is the kind of thing we're gonna need to get through the next few years.

The only issue I have is I don't really buy Mandy Moore's old-person make-up, but I like the show enough to get past it : )
                The show also avoids another bugaboo that I can't stand: contrived, soap opera elements. Okay, maybe Kevin had a romp or two, but for the most part, this show is not about bed-hopping and so-called "twists" which for most shows are love/sex-related. Great plotting with minimal soap.

Comment

Working...
                X