Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going in to pitch

I've been working for the past month with two seperate Production companies on two different treatments. Next week I go into Warner Bros and Disney to do the pitch to executives. What should I expect from those pitches with the executives? I pitched to the current two companies I'm working with over a month ago and that's how I got them to work with me on these ideas, should I expect the same kind of meeting?

Anyone who has any advice from experience would be great. Thanks.

-Me

Re: Going in to pitch

Nothing wins over executives more than "passion" for the material and a "prepared" individual. Get them to nod their heads "yes" and allow them to chime in and give you ideas. Make them feel like "part of the team" and you are the quarterback.

Chinaboxer

Comment

On page two of "Business Questions and Advice" I have a thread called "Meeting Tips" -- it might help you prepare.

Good Luck!

Comment

I've been to quite a few pitches for TV and motion pictures. I keep it brief and visual. By visual, I mean that I stick to the external (visuals) of the story to try to help them "see" the story.

Be sure to know the players when you walk in the room. If, for example, you know a producer does primarily horror and you're pitching him a thriller script or idea you'll want to emphasize the "dark" elements of the idea/script. In other words, slant your pitch to a specific producer - - no cookie cutter, one-size fits all stuff. Some may disagree with this, but I've found it shows I've done my homework and I know what the producer or studio executive wants.

I also prepare several ideas to pitch in case they don't go for the first one. If they don't go for the first idea, don't wait for them to ask for another idea, just go right into it.

I also know the answers to all the "questions" before I enter the room. Here's a few examples I've been asked:

What's the theme?
        What's the poster?
        Who's the audience?

They ask these questions even about ideas, so be sure to know the answers before you walk in the room.

Good luck with the pitch!

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice.

I'm going in to pitch to a Warner Brothers CE with a development exec from Gerber Pictures and also a Warner Brothers consultant. I've been working with both of them for a couple of months on this idea. They said they'll be right there to fill in anything I miss during the pitch.

Is this common to go in with others?

Comment

Hi Bennytown

Well done on your progress! How did you end up working with Gerber? Did you submit a spec and based on that they gave you an idea to develop? If the pitch is successful will WB buy the treatment or commission you to write the script?

Good luck!

KC
            Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
            Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

Hey Kid,

Thanks.

Gerber read another script I wrote which they had no interest in, however, it got me a meeting. I went in there with a pitch for a new idea. They loved it and immediately started working on developing it with me. Two months later I've finished my 20 page treatment that we're all happy with. Now we'll go in to pitch it to the execs at WB. I really don't know what WB will do if it goes well. I've never gotten this far in the game.

The script also got me a meeting over at Farrel/Paura. In the middle of my pitch he stopped me and said that's not for us. As I was looking for the door he commented on my comedy writing and pitched me an idea they had.

Pretty much in the same boat in both places. Not getting paid for either of these, but I don't expect to just yet. I'm just happy to be learning as much as I am. I would think that if either of these pitches go well, then we can start talking money. We'll see.

Comment

Hi BT,

I also had a meeting at Farrel/Paura the other week! I'll PM you.

KC
                Blog: http://writinglounge.blogspot.com
                Email: kidcharlemagne108[at]yahoo[dot]co[uk]

"What is your greatest ambition? To become immortal and then die." - Breathless

Comment

I've found that having a few guys in your corner is GREAT. As long as they let you say your piece, they're a great group to have. Pitching with other people in the biz already on your side is a GREAT boost to you the second you walk in the door. This shows you have others who "GET" what you want to do, and think it's amazing. I've pitched both ways, but with producers, etc. with you its usually so much easier. UNLESS, they step all over your toes (had it happen once). If they're there to be great support and hype up what you're hyping, then they're great, but if they interrupt and drop plot points out of order, they're as$holes. But in my experience having the group is more comoforting, and really does make your pitch easier.

Best of luck.

Comment

Listen up

You probably already know this but even though you're doing most of the talking, make sure you keep your ears open. If the producer wants to go down a different road, go with them. If they have suggestions, build on that. The best thing you can get going is "what if..." that can only happen if they sense you're open to the possibilities. The fact that you're going in with others is a help but I'd still pitch your story to a friend just to practice. Let them play devil's advocate and ask a bunch of questions.

And in the back of your mind, have a list of actors that would be perfect for your leads. It might help the CE see what you're seeing....

Comment

Working...
                    X