X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing a horse

So without giving too much away...
    It's the 1880's, the protagonist's family has been killed by a certain powerful man (by power I mean political, financial). The protag decides to kill this powerful man out of vengeance, so fast forward, were are now close to the end of the film. It's the protag on one side against 6 hired guns and the powerful bad guy on the other. The protag is now notorious for being a ruthless killer. Some might even say crazy. He takes his shotgun, dismounts from his horse then shoots the horse in front of these "bad" men... some what as a statement like I'm not running, this ends now.

My question; is this too much? I told a friend and he said the audience would not go for it. I remember that film What Just Happened, and the audience couldn't take the dog being killed. My friend also suggested he shoot the gun in the air to scare the horse off, but I think it's more of a statement if he shoots the horse dead. So is it too much? Thoughts?

EDIT: I need to point out that this is NOT his own horse, this horse was stolen a few towns back... literally three pages ago. His horse died back with his family.

I'm thinking that the protag doesn't expect to make it out alive of this one, and maybe as to spare the horse from the suffering of the massive amount of gunfire headed their way, he would put it down... I'm beginning to see that this maybe isn't such a good idea? Yes? no?
    Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 12-19-2011, 06:16 PM.
    INT. DR. GONZO'S HOTEL ROOM - NIGHT

A glass of BOURBON in one hand and a COMPUTER MOUSE in the other,
    Dr. Gonzo contemplates getting off the message board and back to his script.

Re: killing a horse

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
    My friend also suggested he shoot the gun in the air to scare the horse off, but I think it's more of a statement if he shoots the horse dead. So is it too much? Thoughts?
    What kind of protag shoots his faithful horse for no other reason than to make a statement? And what kind of statement is that?

Give him a good reason for shooting his horse. The horse is lame after a long hard ride to the showdown, or one of the bad guys wounds his horse as he rides into town to face them. Now he has a good reason for blowing the horse's brains out and making a dramatic statement. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jonpiper View Post
      What kind of protag shoots his faithful horse for no other reason than to make a statement? And what kind of statement is that?

Give him a good reason for shooting his horse. The horse is lame after a long hard ride to the showdown, or one of the bad guys wounds his horse as he rides into town to face them. Now he has a good reason for blowing the horse's brains out and making a dramatic statement. Just my opinion.
      Should have pointed out that the horse was stolen a few towns back. His horse died back with his family.

I was also thinking that the protag doesn't expect to make it out alive of this one, and maybe as to spare the horse from the suffering of the massive amount of gunfire headed their way, he would put it down... I'm beginning to see that this maybe isn't such a good idea?

Comment

The problem is it's the protag shooting his own horse. Has he had the horse the entire film? If so then yeah, can't really do it.

In Django Unchained a bunch of the bad guys' horses get shot which was fine but if the protag got off his at the end and shot it in the head I'd be uber pissed. Of course that would also make no sense since it would be pretty out of character.

Comment

As far as if an audience can take it or not, I think they can. Dogs and cats are different because they're common pets. There's a utilitarian aspect to horses.

Jeff Bridges did it in True Grit. There's also the head in The Godfather. Like pretty much anything, it isn't what you do, it's why you choose to do it. The violence is only senseless if it doesn't make sense.
          Ring-a-ding-ding, baby.

Comment

There is enough violence against animals in films, and personally I hate it. In fact, the HSUS and PETA both have lists for their supporters of what films they should avoid before the film even comes out. I would never see a film where an animal is hurt. I did accidentally end up seeing Babel and what happened to that chicken made me sick. It is not necessary and since animal cruelty is such a huge problem in the world I personally as a responsible writer would never add to it. But that's me.
            Honestly, the Godfather could have done perfectly fine without the horse head in the bed. Glen Close did not have to cook the rabbit and Rodger and Me was a piece of ****. That bunny wasn't fake, that bunny really did get beaten to ****, and several dumb ass hick kids repeated that scene many times oft. It's not responsible and it all starts with the writer. But that's me.

Comment

Re: Killing a horse

From what you've said, the killing doesn't seem to be an action with any believable motivation.

However, it does seem consistent with the character description you gave:
              "The protag is now notorious for being a ruthless killer. Some might even say crazy..."

Whether you have him do it depends on how you want the audience to feel about the protag--and maybe, about the movie. From your brief description, it sounds like the protag has descended into a state of near-barbarism. My reaction, if I saw it, would probably be a belief that the movie is trying to shock me, but is not offering a genuinely useful observation about the human conditon.

If you've already established that the guy is "ruthless" and maybe "crazy," this scene might be a good place for an unexpected reversal. Make the audience think he's about to do some new awful thing--like killing the horse--and have him not do it. But if you want to leave the audience in a nihilistic funk, then I suppose the killing would work.

FilmFeline, I wonder if you are equally opposed to human-on-human violence in movies. Is violence against animals somehow worse?

Comment

Killing A Horse

HIRED GUN #1
                (to Powerful Bad Guy)
                Isn't that one of yer best horses?

Powerful Bad Guy recognizes the horse.

POWERFUL BAD GUY
                Yep. It shor' is.

The Protagonist jabs the muzzle of his shotgun against the horse's head. BANG!

PROTAGONIST
                Not anymore, it ain't.

Killing any horse, simply as a display of violence and bravado, is liable to immediately lose the sympathy felt for that character by most of the audience. It tells them, "I'm such a tough hombre, that I'll shoot a dumb, helpless animal, out of spite." Unless the antagonist is the one of the founders of PETA, I'd find some better way to make a statement than by killing the horse that the protagonist just rode in upon.
                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

If he is really crazy you should have him drop his pants and show the whole world how much he loves his horse.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck
                  TRIAL FORUMS

​
                  ​

Comment

maybe the horse should have belonged to the ruthless guy (who used to mistreat him) and now your protag has trained the horse to stomp his mean old owner to death... and laugh about it. OR he could just phuck him. have you seen the size of a horse's shlong?! that thing could kill any man.

Comment

It's a loaded scene and could go either way with audiences.

I wouldn't get hung up on it.

Write what you feel is the best for the scene and finish the screenplay. You can always rewrite the scene if it doesn't work.
                      Last edited by christopher jon; 12-19-2011, 10:29 PM.
                      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

I think it's feasible if he does it in a Keyser Soze-backstory kinda way.

If your protag is making his last stand and he shoots his horse knowing:

1. The bad guys will abuse it just for knowing it's his and he doesn't want an animal to suffer, and/or

2. The bad guys will question why he would do such a thing, and the head bad guy will know/comment no one's leaving this final battle alive. The shooting would best be achieved while the bad guys were watching.

The only thing that should matter to you is if the action makes sense to the character and the overall story. So if you can make it work, shoot away.
                        Last edited by Chakala; 12-19-2011, 10:38 PM.
                        I'm always right.

Comment

If the other six or seven men are standing there, is there a reason they wouldn't shoot him - a storm of bullets - as soon as he rode up? I'm just wondering about the logic of this dramatic pause to kill a horse.
                          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                            I'm beginning to see that this maybe isn't such a good idea? Yes? no?
                            It's a good idea if it fits, and you can pull it off. It's a bad idea if it fits, but in an effort to appease all becomes something that doesn't fit.
                            Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                              If the other six or seven men are standing there, is there a reason they wouldn't shoot him - a storm of bullets - as soon as he rode up? I'm just wondering about the logic of this dramatic pause to kill a horse.
                              The protag rides up with his old partner, there is something of a prisoner exchange, then the protag's partner and the hostage are allowed to leave town. As the partner and hostage ride away, that is when the protag dismounts and shoots the horse.

Originally posted by Chakala View Post
                              I think it's feasible if he does it in a Keyser Soze-backstory kinda way.

If your protag is making his last stand and he shoots his horse knowing:

1. The bad guys will abuse it just for knowing it's his and he doesn't want an animal to suffer, and/or

2. The bad guys will question why he would do such a thing, and the head bad guy will know/comment no one's leaving this final battle alive. The shooting would best be achieved while the bad guys were watching.

The only thing that should matter to you is if the action makes sense to the character and the overall story. So if you can make it work, shoot away.
                              This is exactly what I was intending. The main bad guy and the protag both KNOW no one is getting out alive. And I think I will actually have the main bad dude say that, as you suggested.

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                              maybe the horse should have belonged to the ruthless guy (who used to mistreat him) and now your protag has trained the horse to stomp his mean old owner to death... and laugh about it. OR he could just phuck him. have you seen the size of a horse's shlong?! that thing could kill any man.
                              +100

Originally posted by Mark Somers View Post
                              If he is really crazy you should have him drop his pants and show the whole world how much he loves his horse.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck
                              +200

Originally posted by Donreel View Post
                              From what you've said, the killing doesn't seem to be an action with any believable motivation.

However, it does seem consistent with the character description you gave:
                              "The protag is now notorious for being a ruthless killer. Some might even say crazy..."

Whether you have him do it depends on how you want the audience to feel about the protag--and maybe, about the movie. From your brief description, it sounds like the protag has descended into a state of near-barbarism. My reaction, if I saw it, would probably be a belief that the movie is trying to shock me, but is not offering a genuinely useful observation about the human condition.
                              In a way I suppose you are right. I was thinking that at this point the protag is very much like William Munny at the end of Unforgiven, (and for that matter at the beginning, the terrible past we don't see, killer of women and children, hell just about anything that walked at one time or another.) Is there anything that can be said of William Munny and the human condition? The protag has lost it all in my story and somewhat has a death wish, like Riggs in the first Lethal Weapon in the sense that he doesn't care if he lives or dies, the only thing that matters to this protag is that the main bad guy dies. Vengeance.

If you've already established that the guy is "ruthless" and maybe "crazy," this scene might be a good place for an unexpected reversal. Make the audience think he's about to do some new awful thing--like killing the horse--and have him not do it. But if you want to leave the audience in a nihilistic funk, then I suppose the killing would work.
                              That's something to think about... sure. I actually like that. I'm gonna have to do some more thinking before I put pen to paper on this scene.

FilmFeline, I wonder if you are equally opposed to human-on-human violence in movies. Is violence against animals somehow worse?
                              I was wondering the same thing.

Originally posted by Filmfelinemeowmeow View Post
                              There is enough violence against animals in films, and personally I hate it. In fact, the HSUS and PETA both have lists for their supporters of what films they should avoid before the film even comes out. I would never see a film where an animal is hurt. I did accidentally end up seeing Babel and what happened to that chicken made me sick. It is not necessary and since animal cruelty is such a huge problem in the world I personally as a responsible writer would never add to it. But that's me.
                              Honestly, the Godfather could have done perfectly fine without the horse head in the bed. Glen Close did not have to cook the rabbit and Rodger and Me was a piece of ****. That bunny wasn't fake, that bunny really did get beaten to ****, and several dumb ass hick kids repeated that scene many times oft. It's not responsible and it all starts with the writer. But that's me.
                              As opposed to man killing man violence??? That's fine and dandy as long as no animals are hurt??? The thing is IT'S JUST A MOVIE. No animals will be harmed during the making of the film. I thought you would know that being on the other side of it like myself.
                              And by the way I'm definitely gonna have to disagree with you 100% about the horse head scene in The Godfather, not only is it one of the most memorable scenes in the film, it's one of the most memorable scenes in film history!

I was planning to write this today and I still may, but I think I'm gonna weigh the options, talk it over with another friend of mine. If you guys have any more comments, more than welcome to share them.

Comment

Working...
                              X