Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Landis article on Deadline

I found this interesting -- wanting more involvement in decision-making/creative/development aspects is something any writer would want. Max seems to be getting that, at least in part. How much of this do you think will trickle down through the industry to other writers, though? If any?

http://deadline.com/2016/05/max-land...or-1201752631/

Re: Max Landis article on Deadline

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting, what he's up to. But I found the comments thread beneath the article equally interesting, with many different perspectives given.

Comment

I love this guy personally. Its nice to have what I would call a scrreenwriter assassin. He attacks the industry, he makes money in the industry. It's refreshing to have him make fun of big movies, then sell big movies. I don't know, seems good for all writers to me. Why should only actors and directors be egomanics? Writers rise!!!!

Comment

I like the fact that he's calling out the industry's treatment of writers; but then again, with his last name and his spec-selling history he's in a strong position to do that, unlike most writers.

I'm not a big fan of his attacking other movies. It's hard to take you seriously as a critic when all four of the last movies you wrote (American Ultra, Victor Frankenstein, Mr. Right, Me Him Her) bombed. There's a distinct scent of bitterness there. He can blame it on director or studio choices as much as he wants; at a certain level people just didn't connect with his stories.

He does seem to be on a bit of a streak now, so more power to him.
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
          I'm not a big fan of his attacking other movies. It's hard to take you seriously as a critic when all four of the last movies you wrote (American Ultra, Victor Frankenstein, Mr. Right, Me Him Her) bombed.
          The article seemed to imply that his success was based on him writing specs not assignments -- as if no other writers were doing that before Max Landis. But tons of specs are written all the time. Is it the name? Not even his (semi-famous) last name -- but because he's so outspoken and willing to put himself out there (good or bad) that he has a recognizable name/face/presence? Like a Sorkin? Or does his team just push the crap out of everything he does? And if it's his team, man a lot of reps have a lot to answer for as better scripts (than some of those mentioned above) rot on the vine.

Comment

I respect people who stand up for what they believe in.

He sees a problem with the industry and has the power to bring attention to it. And in the process maybe he will help others.

Good for him.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
              The article seemed to imply that his success was based on him writing specs not assignments -- as if no other writers were doing that before Max Landis. But tons of specs are written all the time. Is it the name? Not even his (semi-famous) last name -- but because he's so outspoken and willing to put himself out there (good or bad) that he has a recognizable name/face/presence? Like a Sorkin? Or does his team just push the crap out of everything he does? And if it's his team, man a lot of reps have a lot to answer for as better scripts (than some of those mentioned above) rot on the vine.
              Well, I guess the fact that he's so outspoken has made him semi-famous himself. And this has probably helped him get extra attention to some extent as a writer (as he theorized in that infamous Reddit post). After all, there are other children of famous people who haven't been able to achieve his level of screenwriting success. Of course he has enough talent to back it up, but a little bit of notoriety never hurts.
              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Is it the name? Not even his (semi-famous) last name -- but because he's so outspoken and willing to put himself out there (good or bad) that he has a recognizable name/face/presence? Like a Sorkin? Or does his team just push the crap out of everything he does? And if it's his team, man a lot of reps have a lot to answer for as better scripts (than some of those mentioned above) rot on the vine.
                I think you're spot on. If you have a big name / big reps, people will buy anything from you, good or average. Look at all the unproduced scripts they bought from Snyder. I mean, do you really think if one of us wrote the exact script for BRIGHT we would get in a bidding war for $3.5 million? We would be lucky to get a lollipop.

It's just how Hollywood works. Big name = big money.
                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I'm in the *snake NOT eating it's tail* camp. Any writers out there pulling down big paychecks and rattling the cage for writers is a good thing. Rock on, Max

Comment

Max Landis just rubs me the wrong way. He's an ADHD kid spouting off stuff that other people did better twenty years go in comics and indie films and acting like he reinvented the wheel.

In one podcast, I heard him say that he wouldn't want to say what he would have done on Fantastic Four because didn't want to be disrespectful to Josh Trank, and then ten minutes later, he spells out how he would have done Fantastic Four. (Which sounded horrible).

When Max Landis talks about a "fresh new take" it's almost always some knee-jerk reaction to an IP that completely forgets what makes the concept compelling in the first place.

And he wouldn't be anywhere without his last name.

Comment

I disagree that someone connected can sell anything they write, even if it's mediocre. No studio exec stakes his/her reputation (and the studio's $$) because a writer is related to a director who peaked decades ago. That's an easy way to get fired.

Surely the name opened doors for him at first and made people more inclined to read his material, but that's not how giant spec sales happen. Those happen through smart ideas, good timing and deft maneuvering. Max's advantage was that he got to skip past the "I want to be a screenwriter but don't know anybody who will read me" part of his career, that's all. Everything since then is him.
                      https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Originally posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
                        I disagree that someone connected can sell anything they write, even if it's mediocre. No studio exec stakes his/her reputation (and the studio's $$) because a writer is related to a director who peaked decades ago. That's an easy way to get fired.
                        But this happens all the time. Prod Co's and Studios are a business. They can't sit around and wait for a SOURCE CODE to go on the market before buying. They're forced to scoop up all the mediocre (though professionally written) scripts from known writers. I mean, American Ultra was pretty mediocre. How did that sell? It's not like Landis is penning INCEPTIONS here.
                        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Respectfully, I don't think you're giving him enough credit. Whether or not you like him or his stuff is the same subjective argument stuff.

But here is an example of this guy's output:

http://www.maxlandiswrites.com/a-lis...gh-to-read-it/

Now if you've read the above, he said out of all those specs, his reps have seen 25 or 30 of them - and decided to go out with only 7.

Why is that important? Reps don't go out with everything their clients write. I discovered this my first year with an agent, and it was a rude awakening - but it is the reality.

So let's say you write one script a year. That may not even go out. You need more content. So one of the big reasons this guy can sell things is because he's a machine.

I mean truly, I get in 5 pages a day on a good day. That doesn't include the time it takes to outline/ break a story. I've got a lot of eggs in one or two baskets a year, like most people with kids. But this is what we're up against.

So I give the guy a lot of credit. I like the noise he makes for writers too. It's good for the marketplace and good for us.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
                            Now if you've read the above, he said out of all those specs, his reps have seen 25 or 30 of them - and decided to go out with only 7.

Why is that important? Reps don't go out with everything their clients write...

So one of the big reasons this guy can sell things is because he's a machine...
                            Thanks for the link.

I would argue -- not having read any of these scripts -- that while 71 scripts is a huge writing output, how many of those scripts are "written" as in revised? Planned? How many have a reason to exist? How many say something?

I think your 5 pages a day is fine, madworld. I would think the goal of a writer would be to write "better" not write "more," which is something Landis seemed to admit to in the link.

I don't have reps. Do people here have reps that they can throw 30+ scripts at to read to see if they can sell? Is that done? That's a thing? You can do that? Empty out your computer files and fling 30 PDF's at a rep and say here, can you sell any of this?

I would think, even if you were their client, that after the first four they didn't want they'd stop reading completely and kick you to the curb.

Now I'm even more confused.

Comment

Thanks for the link.

I would argue -- not having read any of these scripts -- that while 71 scripts is a huge writing output, how many of those scripts are "written" as in revised? Planned? How many have a reason to exist? How many say something?

I think your 5 pages a day is fine, madworld. I would think the goal of a writer would be to write "better" not write "more," which is something Landis seemed to admit to in the link.

I don't have reps. Do people here have reps that they can throw 30+ scripts at to read to see if they can sell? Is that done? That's a thing? You can do that? Empty out your computer files and fling 30 PDF's at a rep and say here, can you sell any of this?

I would think, even if you were their client, that after the first four they didn't want they'd stop reading completely and kick you to the curb.

Now I'm even more confused.

No, no. Not saying you should/ or have to do that many. I'm just saying it's pretty amazing that Max is that prolific. I have a great appreciation for that. Btw, my rep doesn't expect that kind of output from me. Of course I imagine he would like more things to take out but they pretty much can expect 1 or 2 decent specs from me a year, along with ideas to pitch. I wish I could do more, but you know - kids. Wife. Home reno. etc. I'll be honest, it's just remarkably hard. I think most people quit at this stage of limbo I'm in, I'm no Max Landis in terms of sales or output. The hardcore reality is that most people pop, get a sale or two and then nothing. Crickets. And they're either working in the studio system or most likely, back to speccing until something else lands. But the guys and gals who quit today don't succeed tomorrow. You just have to keep at it (and obviously have some aptitude.) But this dude, Max Landis, his success has nothing to do with his dad's name. It has everything to do with his commitment. And in the face of a lot of public scrutiny. More than most.
                              Last edited by madworld; 05-18-2016, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X