No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What day of the week to Query?

Here's a thought....

If you were going to send a query email what day of the week do you think -- or do you find -- has the best chance of success?

Monday? Do you get lost in the full post-weekend inbox?
    Wednesday? Is Hump Day The Day?
    Friday? Hope to get a weekend read request?
    Saturday/Sunday? The smartphone addicted rep might see it when email traffic is low?

Or maybe it's all a crapshoot on any day.

This question is purely for fun. Might give us all something to do while we wait to hear back from the latest query email....
    Sincerly,

the giantELF

(The writer is Robert -- the company is giantELF)

Re: What day of the week to Query?

Good question!

I usually send them out on Wed or Thurs between like 2-4pm.

Monday: Too busy catching up from the weekend.
    Tuesday: They are starting their week with more important stuff after catching up.
    Wednesday: Good
    Thursday: Good
    Friday: Already checked out and ready for the weekend maybe? This might also be a good day because they might the in a good mood and will throw it on the weekend read.

2-4pm because they day is calmer but not too close to closing time.

I could be completely wrong on all of this, lol.

Comment

Not on the weekend. Just because we have smart phones for time sensitive business that deliver emails on the weekend, you don't want to invasive interrupt peoples weekends.

Best,

MB
      twitter.com/mbotti

Comment

I'm curious Michael, don't most agencies/companies provide work phones? I've emailed over the weekend before and gotten responses. It seems crazy not to ask writers to query over the weekend (when they probably have the most time to send 100/200/300 emails) when I have to assume folks who have phones are either switched off or not bothered by them getting an email.

EJ

Comment

Total crapshoot.

Depends on the person, the schedule, and (most importantly) the logline.

As someone who's sat on the other end of that desk, I noticed a flood of queries Tues-Thurs, 10a-12p and 3p-5p.

But here's the thing - those were the times that the boss-man had me busy rolling calls, doing research, reading submitted scripts. When a flood of queries come in, they all blend together.

When was I most likely to actually read a query? Maybe during the lunch break. Maybe after 6 when I was stuck at the office, waiting for something. Maybe when I needed something to read while taking a poopie during the weekend.

So much of actually getting a query read is based on luck. Don't agonize or strategize too much.

But if you do get their eyeballs on it, you better have an AMAZING logline.

Comment

Just spoke to Markus Goerg from Heroes & Villains earlier today and asked him this very question. He said it didn't matter. The only qualification for that is, if you're an aspiring TV writer and were querying with your pilot during staffing season, you're less likely to get a response because they're busy staffing the writers they have, rather than looking through material for new writers.

It'll all be on our podcast in a week or so.
            http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/

Comment

I started this thread for fun...but that's some good info. Thanks Jedi.
              Sincerly,

the giantELF

(The writer is Robert -- the company is giantELF)

Comment

Working...
              X