Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #841
stainjm

Default Re: New Black List Thread - Franklin Leonard answers your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainjm View Post
Franklin - I'm a WGAW Associate member - do I still qualify for the discount on the Blacklist 2.0 site? Thank you.
Hmm, anyone else know the answer?
Old 06-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #842
sallain
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainjm View Post
Hmm, anyone else know the answer?
Do you have a member number? I think that's all you need, you just enter the number in your profile, but you might want to email support because I'm not sure.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #843
purplenurple
User

He'll answer all your questions except WHO is downloading your script and show proof of the dozens of writers who are working in TV/Film due to the service. All I hear are people getting 8's who initially are happy but then later confused because no one cares.

Here's the effectiveness of giving no real information. If you score a 6, then you will kick yourself for not getting a 7 or 8 because you're sure that score would have been the difference between getting a read/option from "insert production company name." The people that get an 8 wait to see who bites and if no one does they curse themselves for not being good enough to get a 9 because they were so close and a 9 would have given them a career on the writing staff for "New Girl.". Then there are people who get a 9 and literally are dancing on air and think "this is it." When nothing happens and Lions Gate isn't reading the script they then scramble to make sense of things. They wonder if something is wrong with the script? Maybe if they got a 10. Yeah, they heard from somewhere vague a 10 would have done the trick. A 10 would have gotten them a script sale. So stupid they missed a 10 by 1 point. Now what do they do? Put a 9 in a query letter? If they tweak the script and pay the fee again surely they will get a 10 provided that particular reader likes it (there are accounts of people going down in score due to different reader), right? Only now they're looking at a 7 And on and on....

The whole thing is like those carnival games where you throw a small plastic circle at the top of a bottle but the bottle top's size is such that it can't happen and you aren't getting the giant panda.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #844
ClintW3
Regular

A real question for Franklin vs. a bitch-and-moan question:

What is the trend in evaluation scores since site started? Just as many 8s, but far fewer 4s? Is the average the same? Has the median shifted?

Just curious how the quality of scripts posted has changed over time.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:59 AM   #845
FoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplenurple View Post
All I hear are people getting 8's who initially are happy but then later confused because no one cares.
It's because the 8's that go nowhere aren't good enough. It's really that simple.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #846
purplenurple
User

Oh, I get it foxhound. The other 8's are working all over Hollywood now. It's that simple, huh? Some people get an 8 and the script is not marketable while other people get an 8 and they work for secret studios that BL can never ever let us know of this success.

If it were unveiled who was really downloading the scripts BL would be dropped like those old query level services. It's a bunch of people with no more juice then most of us here. Do you know how many people out there say they are producers or are starting a management agency? It's the same people trolling craigslist for scripts but never give their name and are more likely to steal a good idea/pitch then help make it. The very same. That is why no testimonials.

But to shut me up how about people respond with real incidents where BL has been a game changer (free option or dollar option people stand down). Give me three. Just three. All I ask. Take your time. But be specific.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #847
EdFury

Quote:
Oh, I get it foxhound. The other 8's are working all over Hollywood now. It's that simple, huh? Some people get an 8 and the script is not marketable while other people get an 8 and they work for secret studios that BL can never ever let us know of this success.

If it were unveiled who was really downloading the scripts BL would be dropped like those old query level services. It's a bunch of people with no more juice then most of us here. Do you know how many people out there say they are producers or are starting a management agency? It's the same people trolling craigslist for scripts but never give their name and are more likely to steal a good idea/pitch then help make it. The very same. That is why no testimonials.

But to shut me up how about people respond with real incidents where BL has been a game changer (free option or dollar option people stand down). Give me three. Just three. All I ask. Take your time. But be specific.
Three years ago when the blacklist was just revving up, I submitted a script that got 8s. It got a few downloads. Some nice ratings from some of the people who downloaded and an offer to option from a solid production company with a good track record. The only offer. It was an 18 month option with one renewal. I got a good four figure option fee and a good six figure sale price. But it was a pretty long negotiation for that. I did one rewrite. After the first option and crickets for 18 months and hopes they wouldn't renew, they did. Paid the option fee again. Again, crickets. It's up in December and I hope to get it back.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about it. This is what happens with 98% of options. Nothing. You hope, but reality is that any sale is beating unbelievably long odds, and any actual film made is a damn miracle. Would I use the blacklist again? It's kind of a moot question now as I don't need to. Things since then have been terrific for me and that blacklist option, which the production company never announced, had zero bearing on my career.

But... at the time, the Blacklist did work for me. I optioned the script and made some money. I don't really have a relationship with that production company though and in that time I've built great relationships with much bigger ones who I've worked for multiple times. Like anything else that promises "industry access", it's a crapshoot. I think wearing the soles of your shoes out networking is still the best way. Oh, and writing great scripts. Wish you luck.

Last edited by EdFury : 08-02-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #848
purplenurple
User

Well, it wasn't a dollar option. Good for you, but it wasn't a genuine success story. You're right it's a crap shoot. people get involved with BL thinking they will get a career/script sale? Most everyone but what they're not saying is if this has happened to anyone and if it did it wasn't recently. It's like paying an unnamed craigslist "producer" 75 dollars to read your script in hopes it turns out to be the real deal who has the keys to the kingdom.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #849
FranklinLeonard

Quote:
Here's an entire series of interviews with folks for whom it's been a game changer:

https://blog.blcklst.com/tagged/black-list-interview
Old 08-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #850
purplenurple
User

I give your response on a scale of 1 thru 10 (like your readers do) a 4.
Closed Thread