Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Frequently Asked Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2002, 11:16 AM   #41
kklstef

Default Re: Flog me, Baby

Low expectations, no....expectations, yes.

I'm saying that if you want the part, dress the part. They're not looking for a businessman, they're looking for a writer.

How do we dress like a writer? However we want, as long as we're not dressing like a businessman.

That's what I'm saying.

Now maybe some of us have been in the business world so long that we believe that the only "good" way to dress is businesslike. And that anything else is being a slob.

That's not what I see. I think business attire is just one choice, not any better or worse.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:36 AM   #42
dclary

I think kklstef has a valid point here.

Remember, you're dealing with a bunch of people who deal with the business of ACTING every single day, every minute of the day.

The actor's gotta look like an archeologist. The director's gotta look like Cecil B. DeMille. The producer's gotta look like he's presenting to the board of directors.

You're not just the writer of a screenplay. You're a player in the industry, PLAYING THE ROLE of a writer -- auditioning for the part at every pitch.

You walk in to audtion for Shakespeare in a tux, yeah they might hear you if you, and you might get the part if you're Kenneth Branagh. You want to play Sandy in Grease but you're dressed like a lumberjack, folks might not give your performance the best score. But you dress the part, without being gaudy, and you audition the role of writer and you look the role of writer... by golly, maybe it's true that you'll have that much better a chance of getting the job of writer.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:40 AM   #43
kklstef

Thank you, dclary, that was exactly what I was trying to express.

Also to add: the suit is a wonderful look, shows you care. But I don't know the producers want the writers to care too much. They care too much, they may prove to be difficult while defending their "baby".
Old 04-15-2002, 11:46 AM   #44
wasup jude

Default Re: psychological perspective

Actually kk is onto something here...

Everyone has preconceived notions of how others in the business are supposed to look. From executives, to agents, to actors, to writers - everyone has a kind of look that falls into a category.

Now, if you walk into a meeting and are dressed like an executive, you risk the possibility of people in that room thinking, on a subconscious level that maybe you cannot write - since you don't look like a writer.

Hollywood is all about perception. If you look and act the role, people will take you seriously. If not, well then....

Of course, These rules ONLY apply when one is starting out, like myself, and it is important on how others perceive you. After you've made it, whip out the Boss suits and dress however you want. They'll already KNOW you can write.

WJ
Old 04-15-2002, 12:21 PM   #45
Megamoze

Default Re: psychological perspective

The original point was not whether or not you CAN wear a suit, but whether or not you HAVE to wear a suit.

The original poster, by all accounts a newbie who's never sold anything or been to a meeting, stated emphatically that, dude, you'd better dress up for the big wigs. This is OBVIOUSLY not the case, and anyone who's remotely familiar with Hollywood would know better. Bad advice from someone who shouldn't be giving it at all.

Personally, I would regard any new writer who went into a meeting wearing a suit as a rube, a woefully naive beginner who took lessons on what to wear from his mother. Not only would I not regard this person as confident or powerful, I would feel that I could pretty much take advantage of him on any kind of deal.

If your goal is to be judged on your writing and not on what you're wearing, then a suit is exactly the wrong answer. A suit will draw much more attention to your clothes than jeans and a t-shirt.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:11 PM   #46
caliwriter

Default My My My, all this over a suit! LOL!

Calm down !
Chill out!
Have a beer or something......lol

This post is not directed to everybody, only to the posters (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE)who had something negative say.

1st of all, You don't know me from Adam and have no way of knowing if I've sold anything or been to a meeting or what! So why make snap judgements against me?

C'mon now, it aint that serious...it's only dialoge, no point in getting all pissed and upset about it....lol!

Why all the animosity , dude wear whatever the hell you
want ok?
it's cool with me, i dont care.......chill the F!@# out!

If you want to dress like a bum at a pitch meeting then dress like a bum. If you want to dress in a suit then wear a suit!

If you want to wear a thong thong thong and zebra print cowboy boots then wear it.

If you want to wear a dirty wife-beater t-shirt and faded jeans with the butt cut out then by all means do so!
It doesnt matter to me, whatever floats your boat.

It's a free country and you've got your opinion just like i've got mine, no right or wrong answers here just a matter of personal taste.

CW

too bad this aint the 1940s or we would not be having this wonderful discussion
Old 04-15-2002, 08:58 PM   #47
briadear

Default Kklstef - Sort of On Topic

You have a Penn State Sweatshirt too?!!!! Course, after last season, did you still wear it in public?

You know how everything in PA (well, central PA anyway) is Penn State oriented? Go to LA...you won't find a PSU sweatshirt, bumper sticker or whatever within miles of LA! Nittany Lions are no where to be found! It's like no one's even HEARD of Penn State!

Anyway, when I worked out in Hollywood....the dress code for writers coming to pitch stuff was nice casual. Jeans were the most common thing I saw worn. Women usually dressed up a little more than the guys...with a jacket over their shirt/blouse/t-shirt. What people wore really wasn't an issue. In fact, I loved being able to come into the office wearing jeans and a sweatshirt/t-shirt (not all the time, but I still could). It was great. Back east, you come into work wearing that and it's either "casual day" at the office or you're coming in on your day off.

Bri
Old 04-15-2002, 09:20 PM   #48
kklstef

Default Re: Kklstef - Sort of On Topic

Bri--little Penn State secret. Penn Staters in L.A. should call the Orange County alumni association if they're looking for a place to watch the game. Rumor has it they throw some kick*** game-day parties...friends of mine that have been in L.A. on game days have gone, said they rented out the back room of a bar/restaurant and about 150-200 Penn Staters showed up.

As long as you were a member of the PSU Alumni Association, all you can eat, all you can drink.

I've never been to it myself, but I used to say I'd never move to L.A. because I wouldn't be able to watch PSU football, and I heard about the Orange County Alumni Association parties from multiple sources.

Last season was sad, but I still my wear my shirt with pride. It's never about one season.

(this year's going to be much better, Mill in #1 quarterback spot, some good recruits from the previous year's class. Next year, we could--I say could--have a great team again.)
Old 04-15-2002, 09:38 PM   #49
copywriter1

Default Studio Executive Board

Listen to this! I was just visiting the Studio Executive Message Board and their latest thread is about what they should wear when screenwriters come to pitch! Some feel like they should wear suits; others think they should dress down. Michael Eisner said he likes to wear only his Pluto boxers and Mickey ears when female writers come in -- just to see if he can throw them off. Harvey Weinstein said he likes to dress like a Hasidic Jew to see if he can weed out the anti-semites. And on and on. Isn't that a wild coincidence? Apparently the execs are just as insecure as writers!
Old 04-15-2002, 10:30 PM   #50
bezane

Default Re: Studio Executive Board

copywriter....please give me the url on that thread....PLEASE!!!

without a doubt...the silliest of topics. wear what you're used to. if not your focus will be on the clothes and not the business at hand. i personally opt for the fatigues, tight black T (tatoos showing), and the boots of course. i hope if they're a bit nerdy they will feel cool if they hire me, or if they're candy-a$% they'll be frightened.

Okay....here's one. Just in case they're watching out the window....what do you drive up in? Rent a 930? I go for the bike....for the same reasons stated above about the clothing. A moped goes along way in Hollyland.