Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
EJ Pennypacker

Default Question for Michaelb - THANKS MICHAEL FOR ANSWERING!!!

Hi Michael,

Was wondering what your expectations are of clients both old and new with regards to productivity?

How long do you expect clients to take to get outlines/treatments in shape, complete re-writes? Deliver first drafts, and subsequent versions?

Do you have a rough time-line you like writers to work to (I guess with eventual phasing over to a paid gig where the studio has its standard expectations of deadlines).

EJ

Last edited by EJ Pennypacker : 05-17-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: relabel the thread, why not...
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
michaelb

Default Re: Question for Michaelb (clients productivity)

As fast as they can while being able to write the best they can. Every writer is different, some write very fast, others slowly. Ideally after an idea has been thoroughly outlined, I'm happy if a 1st draft is sent to me in 10 to 12 weeks. That is just a 1st draft though. Developing a spec with a client (from idea to market ready) is never a fast process, usually 5 to 8 months (but that is just a very broad guesstimate).
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
madyellowduck
Regular

Thank you Michaelb. Most instructive. What is your realistic expectation of the number of specs a client can produce in a given year?
madyellowduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
michaelb

Depends on the writer, what level they are at, assignments, etc. 1, maybe 2.

Sometimes it can take a long time just to find the idea that's worth writing.

It's always a case by case basis.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
InfiniteJest
Regular

Is it an expectation of yours that they keep writing specs on their own and if they do do help them manage that process?

For example, your charge has what he thinks is a hot idea, maybe the pitch and the outline aren't that polished and you work with them... maybe you happen to know there is a competing (similar) property on the grid and wether it will actually sell or float through production onto the screen, but you don't want your Guy to miss out on assignments whilst directing his energy on something you know is a low percentage shot.

I suppose I'm wondering how a manager directs and guides a writer's career (internally and externally) in the marketplace and the daily challenges you face doing so and if managing the Writer themselves is more difficult than managing Industry relationships and the market's expectations.

I think I just asked you ten questions in three paragraphs... sorry.
InfiniteJest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #6
Bob Smargiassi
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Sometimes it can take a long time just to find the idea that's worth writing.
Hitching myself to an idea and taking those first few steps of the marathon is my biggest weakness. In any given year I waste months workshopping ideas that never come together.

I need a Robotard 8000.
Bob Smargiassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #7
Be Not Nobody
User

I'd be keen to know to what degree you try and typecast a writer into a certain genre, and also the extent to which you encourage them to go for assignments as opposed to the spec route.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. It's a valuable insight.
Be Not Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteJest View Post
1. Is it an expectation of yours that they keep writing specs on their own and if they do do help them manage that process?

2. For example, your charge has what he thinks is a hot idea, maybe the pitch and the outline aren't that polished and you work with them... maybe you happen to know there is a competing (similar) property on the grid and wether it will actually sell or float through production onto the screen, but you don't want your Guy to miss out on assignments whilst directing his energy on something you know is a low percentage shot.

3. I suppose I'm wondering how a manager directs and guides a writer's career (internally and externally) in the marketplace and the daily challenges you face doing so and if managing the Writer themselves is more difficult than managing Industry relationships and the market's expectations.

I think I just asked you ten questions in three paragraphs... sorry.
1. Yes, if they are not working on assignment, they are working on pitches and specs.

2. Those are two separate things. Once you are at the level where you can book assignments, you are A. Going up for assignments while B. Working on a spec. Once you book an assignment, you focus on that (unless you can multitask and do both).

3. I could talk for hours about how to answer this question. Not blowing it off, but just don't have the time to write pages and pages for this answer. I'll just say it takes a lot of planning and strategy. Forming and maintaining Industry relationships has always been a strong point for me, I network a lot.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
michaelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smargiassi View Post
Hitching myself to an idea and taking those first few steps of the marathon is my biggest weakness. In any given year I waste months workshopping ideas that never come together.

I need a Robotard 8000.
It's always hard to have those "ah ha!" moments when the light bulb goes off and lightning strikes. While rare, I find having that burning passion for a great idea is always better than just settling on one.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
winter dreams

Michaelb: thanks for hanging on the DD boards. I've been really enjoying (and profiting) from your posts.
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote