Seinfeld
    The Simpsons
    NewsRadio
    Yes, Dear
    Drew Carey Show
    Home Improvement
    Wings

Best Sitcom ever made:

M*A*S*H - The TV show developed an identity of its own, away from the film. It's a bit dated for today's standards I think, but it is still the best dialogue study I have found. Lots of old school stage/vaudeville dialogue with a snap to it. And the addition of David Ogden Stiers gave the show a whole new dimension, adding rhythms and vernacular from a Brahmin inside a war zone. I can almost attribute the long-winded success of M*A*S*H to Stiers addition.
    http://youtu.be/fjtnqTTjBT0

Taxi had some great zingers, too.
    http://youtu.be/K_bEXeTwrC8

I actually found M*A*S*H* as a loss-leader in HMV, the entire boxset was on offer to get you into the store in the UK last Xmas, and so I bought it for a relative.

Initially, said relative worried it would be dated and spoil the memory, but it holds up very well.

I think Taxi aired very late over here, I have some vague memories of it as a kid, I think in rerun it was on for years.
    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Re: Sitcoms that you still love

Bob Newhart (any of them)
      McHale's Navy
      Big Bang (yes, I know it's still on, but it's one I will always love and it feels like a rerun as I can find now on more stations than informercials at 2 am)
      Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

funny sitcoms, Britcoms....

There are a few well made, well written sitcoms & Britcoms out there;
        I like Hot In Cleveland, It's Always Sunny in Philadephia, Louie, Corner Gas(Canada), Chef!(BBC), The Office(the NBC format), the Red Green Show(Canada), Seinfeld.

Corner Gas is low key but has good writing/plots-storylines. If animation is included I'd add American Dad, Family Guy, Archer, King of the Hill.
        KOTH was lame the first 1-2 seasons but found it's base & became a excellent TV series. It could have been live action but the animation was funny.

HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm & East Bound and Down have merit too.

Beef
        I'd rather get bank credit, than screen credit.

Comment

Father Ted. Brilliant stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0

Comment

I watched Taxi so much the DVDs are like relatives in the family now. Glad that all seasons have been released. Bought the complete set of Barney Miller too. Loved Just Shoot Me, Good Times, Becker, Cheers, The Jeffersons, Night Court, Seinfeld, and now Big Bang Theory.

Trivia : According to his maid, Elvis Presley's favorite sitcom before he died was The Jeffersons.
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Arrested Development
              Scrubs
              Seinfeld
              News Radio
              Frasier

Comment

Rowan Attikinson, police sitcom(britcom)...

I remember a funny "britcom" from the BBC or Europe about a small police dept. actor Rowan Attikinson(Mr Bean) was a lead as a police Sgt.
                The series aired in the US in the mid 2000s on PBS.
                Any members know the title?...

Comment

Re: Rowan Attikinson, police sitcom(britcom)...

Originally posted by BeefMissile View Post
                  I remember a funny "britcom" from the BBC or Europe about a small police dept. actor Rowan Attikinson(Mr Bean) was a lead as a police Sgt.
                  The series aired in the US in the mid 2000s on PBS.
                  Any members know the title?...
                  The Thin Blue Line (BBC) 1995
                  @MacBullitt

Comment

Anyone remember another British show about running a tabloid newspaper, starring the actor who played Seigfreid in All Creatures Great and Small (another wonderful show)? I think it was "Hot" something. They would assign the reporters to go make up stories, harass celebrities, etc. I thought it was hysterical, but it didn't last long.

I'd also add Big Bang Theory to my current list of faves.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Thanks!...

Thank you for the Britcom title.
                      That could be a funny sitcom in the US. There have been no popular police sitcoms since ABC's Barney Miller in the 1970s.
                      A few major networks have made efforts but most were flops.

Beef
                      ps; a shout-out goes to the 1990s era Britcom; Absolutely Fabulous.
                      It was a hit on Comedy Central. I watched it often.

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                        Anyone remember another British show about running a tabloid newspaper, starring the actor who played Seigfreid in All Creatures Great and Small (another wonderful show)? I think it was "Hot" something. They would assign the reporters to go make up stories, harass celebrities, etc. I thought it was hysterical, but it didn't last long.
                        Hot Metal. Vaguely remember it.

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                        I'd also add Big Bang Theory to my current list of faves.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzSTQMx8vSs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZ8H...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfFd_wOQsGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg4s2-zRAT4

Comment

Thanks, Harbinger. That was it.

And those YouTube clips... that was eye-opening. Not funny at all without the laugh track. But I'm not sure if it's because the jokes are lame, or because of the awkward pauses. Probably a combination. It would be interesting if it were possible to watch the same episode performed without the pauses. Still, funny or not, I'll always like the Big Bang guys as I'm married to a physicist myself. Not that he's anything like them.

But now I'm curious about the whole laugh track vs. no laugh track debate. I don't watch that many sitcoms. I'm pretty sure 30 Rock doesn't have a laugh track, and I like that. Are more sitcoms made without laugh tracks these days? I'd definitely prefer them that way. I suppose it makes the writers and actors work harder to make the scene funny.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

Seinfeld.

Comment

Just finished going through "Arrested Development" from start to finish via Netflix streaming. It hasn't lost anything since it went off the air. Can't wait for the new episodes.

Comment

Keeping Up Appearances. Who knew a sitcom about a snobbish old woman could be so bloody funny.
                                I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Working...
                                X