This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Done Deal Managers

DDP has really dried up. There was a day when you'd get to argue with pros. ACTUAL PROs. When they were involved, the discussions were epic, memorable. Now it's just... meh. DDP is now the screenwriter's version of Blockbuster Video -- no offense.
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

I remember DD even prior to 2005 when everyone had to sign up with a new account. It was a pretty cool place. Still a great place for young screenwriters to come and cut their teeth. But there used to be great debates about character and structure and plot and other structural elements. You'd be able to read a five page thread about character development and get a total 360 degree POV on the topic from the various contributors. I've noticed that really doesn't happen anymore.

Comment

I remember when DD wasn't even a message board and just a spread sheet of script sales.
        Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Boo hoo. So start a discussion about a recent film or writing. This board can be whatever you want it to

Comment

Why debate screenwriting when we can debate diversity in James Bond? Crazy idea.

So why do you think screenwriting threads have dried up? Is there a lack of rookies to provoke debates on the basics? Or is it that most of the people here feel satisfied with what they already know because they have been at this long enough? At a certain point this site stops becoming about learning or advancing careers and instead revolves around meaningless debates about whether a film was good or horrible.

If we feel that it has gotten stale we should make an effort to revitalise it. Over the years DD has been an invaluable resource and it deserves to stay that way.

Comment

Okay, who broke out the Ouija board that summoned The White Album back from the ranks of Pros-Of-Whom-We-Speak?

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                So why do you think screenwriting threads have dried up?
                There used to be a huge element of mystery about screenwriting (to those of us who learned by reading Bill Goldman's books-- Still the best idea, btw),

but now the Hollywood writing community is full of people who couldn't tell a story if their life depended on it, and it's attracting even more of the same, and they all try to hide the fact that they can't write by endlessly talking about things that don't matter, eg. You Have To Move To Hollywood, You Have To Meet Deadlines, You Have To Collaborate, You Have To Be Good In A Room, You Shouldn't Write Specs, You Have To Take Notes, You Have To Stick To One Genre, etc etc....

I actually saw this comment reposted all over Twitter-- If You're So Precious About Your Story, Go Write A Novel (as if actually caring about a story is a BAD thing...)

90% of all 'Pro' Twitter feeds are nothing but admonishments aimed at taking no0bs down a peg in an attempt to hide the fact that they have nothing to say about craft.

It's sad but it's cut my internet time down to about 60 mins a day. Way more time for writing.

Comment

Additionally, the supplantation of message boards by social media has had another negative effect, in that the primary function of message boards is the bringing together of people to share information, whereas the goal of Twitter is to grab as many eyeballs as possible, which favors saying something provocative over anything of real substance.

This has had a trickle down effect on message boards and other mediums.

For example, there is a once great screenwriting blog that used to be filled with all kinds of daily posts on craft, business, films and Hollywood history, but which has now (sadly) shifted it's focus to reposting articles on gender / ethnic disparity, to the point where they should just re-name the blog: White Men Are Terrible.

And yes those are important issues, but at some point it becomes like listening to Judd Apatow talk about Bill Cosby, where you're just like, alright, Judd, we get it, but could you just give it a rest for a minute and say something else?

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                    Many many reasons for some of the pros being driven away, top two being someone here overstepping the bounds of professional conduct irl and general frustrations at the sheer number of antagonistic posts.

I probably miss Bill Wheeler the most. He was a sharp egg.

But the larger, more obvious reason for the lighter traffic on DDP is Twitter.

Who wouldn't want to have their own soapbox where they can say anything they want and have all their friends agree with them and then block anyone who doesn't? (I'm assuming this much, since I have never had any type of social media account.... as a matter of fact I've never posted anything anywhere on the internet except Done Deal, and usually regret it when I do).
                    +100.

Glad to see there is someone else that is a social media outcast like me. I have no FakeBook/Twaddle/Instagrief/Rottit account presence, and thus far, do not need therapy.

More time for important things, like actually speaking to people face-to-face, and writing.

I even use a dumbphone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
                      When did he quit? I must have missed that.
                      Ha--definitely slimmed down the roster, but still in the trenches.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                        Ha--definitely slimmed down the roster, but still in the trenches.
                        I was gonna say I was surprised since he passed on my script a few months ago :P

Comment

We're still going and doing just fine. If anyone feels our forums are dried up, then please don't waste your precious time posting here. Get some great writing done.

There are still pros and a number of knowledgeable screenwriters of all levels participating here. In many ways, I'm prouder and more pleased with how the forums are running than really any other time in its history.

Sites like Twitter and Facebook have absolutely provided whole new avenues for people to communicate and discuss on. As noted above, that has an affect on all sorts of sites, blogs, etc.

People love to ring the death knell now and then. I've noted this before, but I've seen all kinds of sites and forums come & go over our forums' 15 plus years. Yet, we're still moving along. As the saying goes, it's a marathon not a sprint.
                          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM.
                          Will
                          Done Deal Pro
                          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Right on, Will. It is my opinion that Done Deal always was and still is the best place for an aspiring screenwriter to hang out and engage. When working professionals decide to participate, their contributions add even more to the value. Although I have never sold or optioned a script, I received help from more than one person here, including an attorney, that got my work into the hands of studios. Others, like Chris Lockhart gave me great feedback on my writing. (It needed a lot of work.)

However, the value of this site is not measured by how many pros actively participate, even though many still do. It is in the sharing of experiences, the sharing of information, and the availability of mutual criticism that makes the time spent here more than worthwhile. Open discussions on films and different aspects of screenwriting offer a lot of food for thought.

More than that, there is the main web site of Done Deal Pro with an abundance of helpful resources. I am not sure about the regular crowd now, but I remember when many, if not most, of the members of this board, had no idea there even existed a main site. They came here for social interaction, often with little or no interest in actual screenwriting issues. Thankfully, those days seem to be past us, most likely due to the evolving social media sites.
                            We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                              DDP has really dried up. There was a day when you'd get to argue with pros. ACTUAL PROs. When they were involved, the discussions were epic, memorable. Now it's just... meh. DDP is now the screenwriter's version of Blockbuster Video -- no offense.
                              I've been going through old threads. You attacked Craig Mazin and his friends. You're still stalking him by calling him out even though he's long gone.

I don't think you understood why they were here. I doubt it was to argue. And now that you helped drive them away, you're bitching about what this place has become.

I've got a suggestion to make this place better. You wanna hear it?

Comment

Too much toxicity. Too many people telling the doctors how to operate. It was pretty awesome to see that big influx of pros at one time but there were just too many personal attacks for them to stay. I don't like reading trivial fights over things that won't matter in a year. I do like the community aspect of the board and still think there are a lot of great people around here with great advice. (You know who you are.)

And I love reading about the success stories. It's always fun to see hard work pay off for people.

Comment

Working...
                                X