Old Christmas Writing 2015 Thread, see new....

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas/New Year Writing 2016

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
    Bear in mind chaps that Christmas is a strange time, we've run or attempted to run a bit of scribbling over the holiday season before and people have struggled to submit.

Therefore... if we run this we may have to go with early January 2016 when it's much quieter and commitment free for many to stand a chance of receiving a few entries.

We'll just have to see how it goes, easy on...
    I agree. A deadline hot on the heels of the holiday madness is not advised. That, and I think the murderous Santa, evil elves, etc. motifs have jumped the shark a bit. Perhaps, just Winter as a prompt. Leaves it wide open - snowflakes, vacations, survival, and for those dark of mind, psycho snowmen.

Comment

General thoughts, not to anyone in particular.

I think the problem last year might have been lack of a call for a Xmas contest, and then it was too late, the moment had passed.

The previous year, the contest got talked about earlier (just like in this thread) and we got 17 entries, which were posted on Xmas Day. Voting took place over the holidays when folks maybe had a spare moment to read the entries and vote, results were posted on Jan 2.

I figure if you leave the writing until after the event, you've lost the thematic mood. Who wants to write something Xmas-y in January?

The Halloween contest had a submission deadline of Halloween, not November, you'll have noticed. November would have been too late.

For this year's Xmas contest, if it flies, I'd maybe aim for a submission deadline of Thu 24 or Fri 25 December, rather than later, but that's just me.

Comment

Leaving the theme open as "winter" certainly allows us to push off till January, if that's what most people want. I'm still in either way though :-)
        It's so nice to be insane
        No one asks you to explain
        -Helen Reddy

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post

I think the problem last year might have been lack of a call for a Xmas contest, and then it was too late, the moment had passed.

The previous year, the contest got talked about earlier (just like in this thread) and we got 17 entries, which were posted on Xmas Day. Voting took place over the holidays when folks maybe had a spare moment to read the entries and vote, results were posted on Jan 2.

I figure if you leave the writing until after the event, you've lost the thematic mood. Who wants to write something Xmas-y in January?

The Halloween contest had a submission deadline of Halloween, not November, you'll have noticed. November would have been too late.

For this year's Xmas contest, if it flies, I'd maybe aim for a submission deadline of Thu 24 or Fri 25 December, rather than later, but that's just me.

I'm with you, but then again I'm a new (screenplay) writer and just write so much that I am just itching for a reason for anyone to see what I'm writing and see if the direction I'm heading in is a positive one.

I frankly cannot see how anyone can't find time in a week to write 8 pages, let alone a month... Let alone writers...

I'd love to challenge myself with an xmass story, as winter just seems so damn broad... What? Snow? It's cold? Ok... so?

But as said by others, I am down regardless of what people choose, I can also see how 2 entries only would make the contest, no contest at all. So...
          "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
          SUBTITLED
          Episode 1 (Beef pills)
          Episode 2 (African commercial)
          Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

I agree, Xmas would be ideal because if not it turns into "the January challenge", not so cool. Halloween contest was very nice.
            But it's also true that it's very tricky days unless we start writing now.
            I think I may be able to join, but I should start writing soon because I know I'll get busier then.

Suggested theme: "a different xmas".

BTW: I'm living in New Zealand, nice and warm in xmas... snow? not really hehe.
            Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

My vote is Christmas theme due Christmas eve. Votes due Jan 2.

Comment

LATEST -- PLEASE READ FOLKS!

- just dropped in and read through a few pieces of feedback above that I'd missed and it "seems" that there are quite a few folks around who want a Xmas contest. Now... because we can't talk to people unless they check in and even then it is hard on a message board, to get consensus, we're just going to have to set it up.

Are we agreed on 1st December, and then three weeks approx. until Xmas Eve as the deadline?

I'm just going here with what seemed the majority view, well, as close as we can have such a thing in feedback, it's more of a vibe-thing.
                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

LATEST -- PLEASE READ FOLKS!

- just dropped in and read through a few pieces of feedback above that I'd missed and it "seems" that there are quite a few folks around who want a Xmas contest. Now... because we can't talk to people unless they check in and even then it is hard on a message board, to get consensus, we're just going to have to set it up.

Are we agreed on 1st December, and then three weeks approx. until Xmas Eve as the deadline?

I'm just going here with what seemed the majority view, well, as close as we can have such a thing in feedback, it's more of a vibe-thing.
                  +1

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post

And begin on DECEMBER 1ST?

-- we're only a week away and inching forward, time flies folks---------->
                    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by ewtaylor View Post
                      +1
                      Great, okay, so that's one.... I'll drop back in and check for more replies over this week. (for clarity:- I've made this post on Monday 23 November 2015).

Note: please do reply because I need to know you are around and thinking about or reading all of this, in the loop, the danger is that you assume that I or "we" know that you are out there.

THE PLAN:

so......... I'm going to speak to Dpat and also have a think about our theme or topics for this outing .... We have a week to come up with something appealing, perhaps not too specific... but not too general either, I jest.............. we'll hopefully get it right, just bear with us.....

What we'd like from you in the meantime:

Replies to say you are out there..... and when you dip in either today or over the week..... provide us with any more thoughts about what you'd like to write.

We'll consider anything and everything you've said.....but bear in mind that by the end of the week, somebody, some sucker, that is...... either myself or Dpat, will just have to roll with a contest topic and we'll just go ahead and set the contest up on December 1st as a new thread.

(nb, Bioproff, got your feedback and know what you mean but hope you may be able to head off the xmas mania and join us, or spoken deeply and more pronounced...............JOIN US...... with the voices from The Evil Dead).

Comment

Great, okay, so that's one.... I'll drop back in and check for more replies over this week. (for clarity:- I've made this post on Monday 23 November 2015).

Note: please do reply because I need to know you are around and thinking about or reading all of this, in the loop, the danger is that you assume that I or "we" know that you are out there.

THE PLAN:

so......... I'm going to speak to Dpat and also have a think about our theme or topics for this outing .... We have a week to come up with something appealing, perhaps not too specific... but not too general either, I jest.............. we'll hopefully get it right, just bear with us.....

What we'd like from you in the meantime:

Replies to say you are out there..... and when you dip in either today or over the week..... provide us with any more thoughts about what you'd like to write.

We'll consider anything and everything you've said.....but bear in mind that by the end of the week, somebody, some sucker, that is...... either myself or Dpat, will just have to roll with a contest topic and we'll just go ahead and set the contest up on December 1st as a new thread.

(nb, Bioproff, got your feedback and know what you mean but hope you may be able to head off the xmas mania and join us, or spoken deeply and more pronounced...............JOIN US...... with the voices from The Evil Dead).
                        Got it. Keep in mind, though that not everyone is well versed or cares that much about the strange mix of pagan and Christian memes we call Christmas.

Comment

I'm good with a Dec 1st start.

Comment

I might have started yesterday, although no one will ever know!

I got no problem with any theme or topic, whether seasonal, traditional, serious or corny. Have fun and write whatever you want to write.

If midnight on Xmas Eve, Thu Dec 24, works as a submission deadline, then yay. Methinks we may tentatively assume 8 pages maximum length, as usual.

If anyone would like a shot at the contest admin then just drop me a PM, first come first served. Would prefer contest veterans over first-timers, sorry nothing personal, just avoiding potential problems! If no volunteers, I'm happy to do it, no problemo.

Comment

I'm in and flexible to go with whatever. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                                Got it. Keep in mind, though that not everyone is well versed or cares that much about the strange mix of pagan and Christian memes we call Christmas.
                                We'll be fine Bio, I've allowed for that in the write up!

Folks.... cough, cough, there's a new thread to go at now, please click on link below to move over to the brand spanking new thread where the actual and real competition is now set up and running!

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=80077

nb, I've changed the HEADER to this thread, you'll note, and left some big nasty red instructions in post #1, it's now listed as the "old competition" thread, to avoid confusion when you first enter WRITING EXERCISES.
                                Links have been provided at the beginning and end (above) of this thread to allow you jump over to the new place in town.

We may close this thread fairly soon, just to keep us all corralled in the same thread from now on!

Last edited by The Road Warrior; 11-24-2015, 07:55 AM. Reason: a Christmas traffic jam...

Comment

Working...
                                X