Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April Fool's short script contest!

As discussed in the Valentine's Day results thread.

What jokes or tricks, or cruel jokes and cruel tricks, might be played? Or whatever other idea pops into your head. Write the story. Win applause and eternal respect from your peers.

• 8 pages max.
    • Tentative deadline is 25th March (so we have the week between this date and April 1st to vote, and results can be posted on April 1st).
    Edit: deadline extended to Sunday 27th
    • Export a PDF file and send to dpaterson57 at gmail.com

Edit: The entries thread is here.
    Last edited by dpaterso; 03-28-2016, 02:46 AM.

Re: April Fool's short script contest!

Sir yes sir! Pimentel reporting in for last place sir!
    "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
    SUBTITLED
    Episode 1 (Beef pills)
    Episode 2 (African commercial)
    Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

I suppose I've a reputation to uphold now. And I don't wish to be marked as a one hit-and-run wonder. Count me in, chief. The game's afoot!
      Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
      "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'll try to do something!!
        One question though. I'm not too familiar with the April Fools thing. So just to clarify, the theme is about... fools? crazy people? jokes? pranks?
        Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

Usually jokes and pranks, yes. Stupid jokes and stupid pranks. Although sometimes things have been known to get just a little bit too elaborate or a little too nasty, depending on the people, because the prankster can get away with shouting "April Fool!" when the victim gets mad, and the victim has to swallow their anger while everyone else laughs at their being fooled.

A fun prank would be stretching food wrap (cling film in the UK) across a toilet bowl, an invisible barrier, so when someone comes in and pees without looking carefully, they get an unpleasant surprise. A nasty prank would be putting superglue on the toilet seat.

I've known websites and message boards that have changed their default font to Comic Sans and their backgrounds to garish colors for April Fool's day, declaring this will be permanent, it's amazing the number of people who don't realize the date and are caught out into believing something's true.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification dpaterso!
            So can it be about pranks or jokes in general or should it be "on April Fool's day", as in Valentine Day?
            Check out my website with my productions: http://www.picturesplusproductions.com

Comment

This is a new one so it probably does need a bit of clarifying and thought. I suppose we don't have to be a slave to the prank aspect, it just needs to provide the inspiration for the story, underwrite the story... so to speak.
              Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by 14001 View Post
                One question though. I'm not too familiar with the April Fools thing. So just to clarify, the theme is about... fools? crazy people? jokes? pranks?
                Your comment made me wonder if April Fool's Day is just a British thing. So I checked, and apparently it's also done in the USA, Australia, and across Europe.

The BBC has even played April Fool's pranks on its viewers. Famously, in 1957, they broadcast a hoax news story about Swiss spaghetti farmers having a bumper harvest, with footage of long strands of fresh pasta being picked from spaghetti trees. Ah, those were the days - when the general public's ignorance was something for everyone to enjoy.

But some people complained that, in broadcasting the hoax story at 8pm, the BBC had violated one of the traditional rules of April Fool's Day - that no pranks are played later than twelve o'clock midday.

Comment

10 days till the deadline! Just saying. Thinking caps on.

If you post in other DDP forums, consider adding something into your signature on the off-chance other potential participants notice it in your posts. Mine for example is:

[CENTER]Check out the
                  [URL="http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=80464"]April Fool's short script contest![/URL]
                  in Writing Exercises forum.
                  Deadline for entries: March 25th
                  Get writing![/CENTER]

Comment

I think it helps if we occasionally post in here too because people will see it in the daily new posts section.
                    I've put an advert in ANNOUNCEMENTS, in the past, I may do that again, I'm not sure how effective that is?
                    Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                      If you post in other DDP forums, consider adding something into your signature on the off-chance other potential participants notice it in your posts.
                      I've put a contest promo as my signature. I tweaked and tarted your one. Let me know if you're OK with it, boss.

Comment

Is there an estimation of how many participants?

Comment

Sorry, it's tough to guess how many folks might turn up for a contest, there's always the chance of a last-second flurry.

Yay for sigline ads! Better than spamming other forums until people are sick of seeing it methinks, but that's just me!

Comment

You can only do so much but eventually you just have to leave it to chance and the perambulations of the Writing-Fairy. She gets around - here there and everywhere but she will not be compelled.

Comment

I'm in.
                              Last edited by Shutout; 03-18-2016, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X