Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #51
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular

Default Re: Beware of Development Interns stealing your ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Unidos View Post
It kinda bums me out that you seem to really believe that. Oh well.
Oh don't be bummed out. I'm over it I'm not loosing sleep over this
Filmfelinemeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #52
Priya

I would also like to add that both specs were early in my non-career, and both of the actual episodes were vastly superior to my scripts. So, in a way, it was kinda cool to be able to see how the professionals did it. It was like getting my own master class on writing.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #53
emily blake

Only comedy TV spec I ever wrote was a My Name is Earl where Earl has to marry Catalina so she could stay in the states, but Randy gets angry because he's in love with her, causing conflict between the brothers.

About a week into working on it....

South of the Border, Part Dos: Earl inadvertently agrees to marry Catalina so that she can return to the U.S., which breaks Randy's heart.

Theirs was way better than mine anyway so I didn't stress it. It happens.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #54
nic.h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya View Post
I would also like to add that both specs were early in my non-career, and both of the actual episodes were vastly superior to my scripts. So, in a way, it was kinda cool to be able to see how the professionals did it. It was like getting my own master class on writing.
Great way to see it. I am amazed how consistently "my ideas" show up exactly how I conceived them. But a few years back I spent some time in development on one of my scripts with a group of pros and found out in a single brainstorming session why this keeps happening: every single idea I've ever had has also been had by thousands before me. When you're brainstorming in a group - when done well - no idea is too out there, and so all kinds of stuff gets thrown out that might be laughed off one minute then float back down to the ethos the next, in a similar or varied form.

There's no such thing as a new idea.

Website
Tweets
Book
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #55
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular

Quote:
Not really slim to none. Just shows you're plugged into the show's zeitgeist.
Appreciated and you're probably right. I watched the show since day one.
Quote:
I just get amused when people think their stuff gets stolen.

Quote:
But if the experience, as non-nefarious as it sounds, taught you to cover your ass? That's a great lesson to learn!!!
Exactly. That's the attitude I walked away with.

Last edited by Filmfelinemeowmeow : 09-30-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 AM   #56
Ire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmfelinemeowmeow View Post
I joined a screenwriting group, desperate to meet guys who think hahaha...
That could be the real tragedy here in this thread. I hope you got your money back, or I hope it wasn't you that filed a restrainng order against me, But hahaha was the approppriate follow up/aside.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #57
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire View Post
That could be the real tragedy here in this thread.
I hope you got your money back, or I hope it wasn't you that filed a restrainng order against me, But hahaha was the approppriate follow up/aside.
Nope. Seeing as though your avatar is holding a gun ! 2nd amendement or not, you would not win me over PS: I don't need restraining orders. I have nunchakus! PS: Priya, love your name! What is a non-career?

Last edited by Filmfelinemeowmeow : 10-04-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #58
Ire

And this is me excusing myself from this thread...

There's no emoticon for disappearing.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #59
scripto80

Quote:
Not really slim to none. Just shows you're plugged into the show's zeitgeist.

Years back I wanted to write a Without A Trace spec. I asked myself where would be the hardest place for a person to go missing and who would be the worst person to go missing from that place. I came up with Prison and a high-profile skinhead. I wrote it. I sent it to many of the different programs out there, including Warner Bros. That same year, I was called in to interview for WB's program. I didn't make it. I'd heard that some execs from shows read some of the semi-finalists' scripts.

Three months later, Without A Trace did an episode about a high profile skinhead who goes missing from prison.

Occam's Razor: They stole my idea.

Way I look at it? They probably had the same thought process as mine.

Prior to that, I wrote an Alias spec, right after the first season ended. And I sent in to the ABC/Disney fellowship. Second season comes along, their season premiere is my episode down to a T. Details were exactly the same.

Occam's Razor: They stole my idea. Maybe execs read submissions, too?

Way I look at it? I was plugged in to the show's zeitgeist.

I'm not saying it's bad advice to tell people to be cover their asses, as you are, and send through your reps and register it, etc. Everyone should look out for themselves.

I just get amused when people think their stuff gets stolen. No show wants to take that chance, risk that liability. That's why, for the most part, showrunners won't read writers' specs of their own show. So, I'm sorry, I'm highly doubtful that your idea got stolen. But if the experience, as non-nefarious as it sounds, taught you to cover your ass? That's a great lesson to learn!!!
If you're amused by it, that's kinda sad because it sounds like you were blatantly ripped off. It's one thing to come up with an idea that you send out unsolicited or ask friends to read, and then you see a film or tv episode that is strikingly similar to your concept. THAT you can chalk up to "nothing is original" and similar thoughts. Heck, a year ago I came up with a concept, started writing it, and a few months later Stand freakin Lee announced his plans for a project that sounded like he literally read my mind. I just laughed, and if anything felt flattered to share a brain wave with a genius like him. But when you submit material to specific companies for specific projects and they consider it, and discuss it with you and everything and then months later find a near scene by scene carbon copy of what you pitched them on the ariwaves or the big screen....that's something more.

It surprises me that people really believe that studios wouldn't want to risk lawsuits by ripping off writers who've submitted materials to them. They may not go into a meeting thinking "I'm gonna steal this guy's idea!" but to think that they don't read things and then weeks or months later remember it and suggest the same creative points to others is naive and giving way too much credit to executives who would happily turn screenwriters into interns who work for free if they could.

People are out for themselves, and they won't hesistate to take a seed that's been planted and harvest it for the sole benefit of themselves and their associates. The more money someone has, the more money they want to make, and 90% of them will make it by any means necessary. Call me jaded, but it's the truth. If it wasn't, we wouldn't need the WGA and guild minimums now would we?

scripto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #60
Joe Unidos

No one reads anything unless they absolutely have to. That's the real reason people are so dismissive of these types of claims. The vast majority of the time when anyone sends anything unsolicited, you can be assured that no one read it --and certainly not anyone in a position to rip it off.
Joe Unidos is offline   Reply With Quote