Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question about TrackingB contest...

I honestly don't remember reading any P.S. notes from my past entries but it's also entirely possible that I stopped reading after "We regret to..." I only recall the one year I advanced and I am guessing I entered about a dozen times. I was a bit surprised that greg chose to post my contest history. That being said, I entered the Nicholl roughly every other year ever since I started screenwriting (the few times I didn't, I had either representation or some other reason).

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
      We must have different definitions of "known". Seems to me he wasn't on the town's radar until he got signed by Brooklyn as a result of the contest.
      Yep.

Mickey Fisher was signed not as a result of his participation in Nicholls. You can take credit for the discovery of a lot of writers, Mr. Beal, but not this one. TrackingB gets that.

Comment

You think I would learn. Perhaps this time.

Nowhere did I state that the Academy Nicholl competition had any impact on Mickey Fisher's career. I have no information on that front.

One takeaway from this example might be that after years of writing for regional theater, after writing and directing two features, after placing in a respected competition, it still takes considerable effort to have a significant breakthrough as a film and television writer.

Comment

Why doesn't everybody just take a couple of deep breaths and pause for a while. Then come back and discuss something else. Maybe even start a "we see" thread in Basics, or something like that.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
            Perhaps not entirely unknown as he was an Academy Nicholl semifinalist in 2006 and seemed to become ineligible after that (at least he never entered again and does have two feature credits, which probably led him to some paying gigs).

Congratulations to Mickey!

LOL

So, this "unknown" has feature credits? Priceless.
            . "Audiences don't know somebody sits down and writes a picture. They think the actors make it up as they go along.-
            Joe Gillis, Sunset Boulevard, 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Wes Tooke View Post
              This is the second time in several days that you have disclosed a person's entry history and results to make a point. Which strikes me as both ethically dubious and beneath the supposed standard of the Academy.
              It's pretty dubious to try to make the point that an absolute unknown can make it at TrackingB, and then use someone who has feature credits as your example.

By the way, how do you get credits if you are unknown to anyone in Hollywood?
              . "Audiences don't know somebody sits down and writes a picture. They think the actors make it up as they go along.-

Comment

Originally posted by thrill14 View Post
                Greg, the Nicholls and your contributions to it are not in question and your track record is and has always been stellar.

But Wes is spot on with his comment. Geoff applauded TrackingB for launching a previously unknown in Mickey Fisher into the type of TV deal usually reserved for only guys named Sorkin. That is just plain insane. And every news outlet referred to Fisher as an unknown. So when given the opportunity to add your congratulations, why rain on the parade by saying that Fisher wasn't an unknown and imply that Nicholls really gave him his start in '06? It's okay for there to be a second successful screenwriting contest. You should embrace it instead of taking offense. And yes, disclosing Fisher's submission history (not placement) w/o his permission is a bit intrusive. You clearly dug up the info in an attempt to prove a point.

A few months ago, Mickey Fisher logged on to his Paypal to send the Insider his entry fee. My guess is he did so not as a successful writer despite his '06 Nicholl's semifinal exposure. Today he has a ridiculous deal with CBS and freakin Spielberg.

Bravo Fisher. And bravo Insider.

Geoff misrepresented reality in his attempt to defend TrackingB. His point was simple. A TrackingB celebrated writer, unrepped and unknown, made it big. The reality is exactly what the usual TrackingB stereotype around here is. The guy already has credits, thus discarding completely Geoff's intended point to the fantasy it was proven to be.

Nothing against the writer. Thrilled for him. Sorry that he was used as an example, but proved the opposite.

The message: If you are in Hollywood, but not quite making it big, TrackingB is a good contest for you. For the rest of us, don't even give the competition a second thought. Though I'm sure the majority of the "actual" unknowns are funding an awful lot with their exorbitant entry fees.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGillis View Post
                  Geoff misrepresented reality in his attempt to defend TrackingB. His point was simple. A TrackingB celebrated writer, unrepped and unknown, made it big. The reality is exactly what the usual TrackingB stereotype around here is. The guy already has credits, thus discarding completely Geoff's intended point to the fantasy it was proven to be.

Nothing against the writer. Thrilled for him. Sorry that he was used as an example, but proved the opposite.

The message: If you are in Hollywood, but not quite making it big, TrackingB is a good contest for you. For the rest of us, don't even give the competition a second thought. Though I'm sure the majority of the "actual" unknowns are funding an awful lot with their exorbitant entry fees.
                  Just because someone has a few indie film credits doesn't make him known. Did you know him? Did anyone in the industry know of him?

Comment

It's pretty dubious to try to make the point that an absolute unknown can make it at TrackingB, and then use someone who has feature credits as your example.

By the way, how do you get credits if you are unknown to anyone in Hollywood?
                    You get your friends together and shoot something... these are not big Hollywood movie credits.

Comment

Facts are available. This silly argument has been had multiple times. Let's move on.
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Hello. I live in a shitty South American country most people in Hollywood can't even place on the map. I was born with less than zero connections in the biz. I speak in broken English. I placed in trackingb two times.

Comment

Like I said before, we obviously have different definitions of "known".

As far as I am concerned, and this is probably the prevailing viepoint in this business, a 10k feature made nine years ago that disappeared equals unknown, not a known quantity, off the radar.

If you disagree with that, okay. But I didn't misrepresent reality.

Comment

To be fair, when you're an outsider looking in, and you can't seem to get anyone to read your work (or when those who do consistently pass), then someone who made a forgotten $10,000 feature nine years ago looks like James Cameron to you. So it's all a matter of perspective.

Comment

Thanks for speaking the truth that others are not allowed to repeat.
                              "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Hey Mickey Fisher, John Swetnam and two dozen wannabes who gained agents, managers and careers, you've been suckered by the Insider for $80. Did you realize you could have entered like a hundred different contests for $50 AND received Craig's List coverage? Thx for opening our eyes, Jojo, who's still angry at not advancing and chooses to disparage than actually get better at writing. The Insider has surely laundered your entry fee by now and moved it off-shore. Mickey, please explain why you recklessly blew $80 when you could have attached CBS and Spielberg to your project years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X